1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Big C

have you watched us lately? Some of those guys would struggle to get into the semi pro sides I played in!!!

2. oh bhoy

i dare say you could get a game for us on the wings if you are able to take a touch move inside and pass it backwards is all you need to do for rodgers

3. Sween

I thought he had a bit more swagger and fire in his belly after the game today after sounding really flat for a couple of weeks. Hopefully we are seeing a turnaround

bhroom, NakamuraTastic and neilly1987 like this.
  4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I agree but today offered some hope that we are on the road to improvement and getting back on track. A few players coming back in also.

NakamuraTastic and Crilly like this.
  5. oh bhoy

what did you see today to give you such optimism ? i thought when i saw the starting line up he was gonna change it up but alas he played the same way,playing our best striker in midfield .our striker getting * all service ,passes going backwards and sideways all while being wide open at the back . think today has taken away any hope there will any positive change

6. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Less cutting in from the wingers, more crosses/cut backs, more forward runners, more Kyogo involvement, a clean sheet and another win.

If we are going to win the league its imperative we get Kyogo involved and scoring.

Sometimes impact cant be instant but at least he is trying something new.

7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

BRENDAN RODGERS is convinced people are desperate for him and his Celtic players to fail but has told them they WON’T succeed.

The Hoops boss emerged from a tough Scottish Cup encounter at the SMISA Stadium with an eighth win from nine unbeaten competitive matches, including six clean sheets.

Goals from Kyogo Furuhashi – his 12th of season – and Daizen Maeda in either half were enough to secure a last eight home tie against Livingston.

And it was a straight-talking Rodgers who later hit back at what he believes is an outside narrative that the current champions and Scottish Cup holders are not the team they once were.

That’s despite their consistency of recent results being impressive.

Rangers, though, could leapfrog them at the top of the Premiership on Wednesday night on goal difference if they win their game in-hand over Ross County at Ibrox by three clear goals.

Celtic had a seven point lead when Philippe Clement was appointed Gers boss in mid-October.

But after a solid cup victory in Paisley, the irked Celts boss responded to negative ‘noise’ by saying: “I don’t think it’s a crisis.

“It’s obviously a narrative that’s been created outside.

“But I don’t expect anything less to be honest. We just focus on ourselves.

“We are a winning club.

“When you’ve won consistently over a number of years, people will look to jump on you and bring you down – and bring ME down.

“I am here to win. For sure we will have our day, and have many days going forward.

“We’ll get our influential players back and the squad will be very strong to the end of the season.

“We’ll continue to fight.

“We just have to prove a point to ourselves and our supporters. I think that’s always the best attitude.

“We are compared to the squad of last season but one, it’s not the same squad as last season, and two, a lot of these players who were starting last season have not been playing all of this season.

“We’ve missed some important players for long periods and we made some changes in the summer.

“This is a young group of players here who are giving everything, who are looking to develop and improve.

“I said to the players afterwards that I had great pride in them today.

“It’s a very young team when you take out Joe Hart and Callum McGregor, a very inexperienced group.

“But how they are reacting and sticking together is very important. There’s a lot of noise around but we continue to win football matches.”

Rodgers – who insisted recalled duo Furuhashi and Luis Palma had not been dropped against Hibs but rested – revealed Israeli winger Liel Abada had been left out of the squad due to a continued unsettled frame of mind.

With Celtic fans once again producing a massive Palestinian flag at the SMISA away end, the Celts boss revealed: “He wasn’t in a right frame of mind.

“It has been a challenging time for him.

“We gave him this chance to have a few days and clear his mind. I’ll have a chat with him again next week, see where he’s at.”

Rodgers also revealed sidelined full-back Alistair Johnston could be out with a skull fracture for up to a month.

He said: “It could be 10 days to four weeks. We’ll just have to wait and see.”

8. BigDoggyWoofWoof

The will to fail doesn't come from the support but from the board. Rangers made a decision to invest and improve, the Celtic board made the decision to stand still.

9. JamesM09

Lot of gaslighting going on.

Fact of that matter is the signings haven’t been good enough. We were in a position of strength but appalling club management has seen that erode to a quite unbelievable degree. Rodgers is part of the problem. He has flip-flopped all over the place, and took aim at the support during the second miserable transfer window we had. He is culpable.

The PR move by Lennon was quite remarkable today and it’s clearly designed to paint a narrative that - somehow - the Celtic supporters are why Celtic are playing poorly this season.

The problem, primarily, is the Celtic board. Specifically this season it is Lawwell and his recruitment team.

We aren’t stupid, we see you.

10. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo

Just Lennon doing what he does best. Kissing the * of Lawwell and Desmond.

JamesM09 likes this.
  11. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Performances havnt been good enough but losing 4 attacking players to Asia cup certainly didn't help, neither does vast majority of pitches we are playing on at this time of year being *, ours included.

However over last 7 games;

Celtic played 7. Won 6. Drew 1. Scored 14 conceded 3 19 pts

Huns. Played. 7 won 6 lost 1 scored 13 conceded 5 18pts

Yet we are the club in crisis.

Personally I feel we are always under more pressure due to expectation to play the celtic way and play entertaining football whereas that lot dont give a * about playing good football. *, the other week they played St Mirren and played that * lump Sterling at left wing. Can u imagine the uproar if we played Ralston at left wing to nullify St mirren

The_Bhoy and honda like this.
  12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Those stats true?
    No doubting you really to be honest, just does seem lad to think that on paper, we are the better side in recent games.

Unfortunately that's momentum for ya. Aside from the game against the Huns, other games seem to be going for them, they are getting the media hype and they have somehow (contrary to those stats), felt like they've very recently clawed the points gap back.

That combined with the negativity that we bring on ourselves (club, players and fans) coupled with an all too eager media to bring us down, sets the tone and everything around here.

Makes Rodgers words more reasonable and sensible in what message he's trying to get across to get that negative tone away.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Amazing what media narrative can build to attempt to derail a team. Looking forward to seeing the team again at the weekend at home on a big pitch with the new 2 striker formation. Creating more and once they get used to it will be deadly again.

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  14. Damnati

Aye but if you go to 10 games instead of 7 it looks much worse haha. 7 games chosen for a reason.

We were in bad form then beating the huns before the break looked like a real turning point. However we completely failed to capitalise in the transfer window then that's coupled with coming back playing * football. It's not really a media narrative, it's a lot of us that aren't happy.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  15. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Aye 7 games chosen bcoz thats the run we have had since last defeat that everyone seems to want to continually bring up to say we are in poor form. It was 2 months ago ffs

Of course its a media narrative and far too many are led by that.

Performances havnt been good enough but as I said, white pitches, injuries international duty are all contributing factors in that as well.

Window was * we all know that but it's gone now. The squad is more than good enough to win the league so manager and even the board * kisser Lennon are right to call it out and change the narrative that is being set by people who want us divided and to fail

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    honda likes this.
  16. henriks tongue

As a wise man once said...
    "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of statistics to bolster weak arguments"
    If you take the last 10 or 12 games instead of last 7?

The eyes don't lie, the team and manager are clearly performing significantly worse than last season.
    We are down on confidence, have a load of injuries, changed the playing style, recruited badly etc and are up against an improving, but fairly average rival.
    BR is just trying to shelter the players from the bigger issues and boost confidence, and that's totally right and normal imo - focus on what you can control not stuff that has to wait until summer.

This is the biggest challenge of our managers career and a critical one for the club - he and the team need our support.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    NakamuraTastic and johnfife1959 like this.
  17. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Rodgers culpable as well. Cant blame the board for defeats to far inferior teams. His job to set up and motivate his sides.

NakamuraTastic and JML67 like this.
  18. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I think we should play two at defensive mid as opposed to in attacking mid to provide better cover and balance when our fullbacks attack high up the pitch.
    Its been a recurring issue in the past few weeks.

19. JamesM09

Absolute nonsense. No one is being led by the media. This is just a completely unfounded claim people throw around without any sort of evidence.

Performances have been * and there’s absolutely zero excuse for it.

The only people dividing Celtic are the people in the boardroom that want to run the club for profit and keep them and theirs in a job.

You’d think this season was somehow necessary by the way people are gaslighting, especially Lennon. I mean for * sake it was all set up to BUILD and IMPROVE, but through some clever PR they have people convinced that struggling through every week with dogshit football is some sort of * inevitable penance for being good last season.

Gies. *. Peace.

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Alternative take. Everyone seems to believe rangers are flying yet the stats have shown they are not, also my eyes tell me they are not and air utd tell you they are not. All media led narrative to build team confidence while the media is focusing on anything negative for celtic to magnify it. Both teams are playing boring turgid football, yet going by the media it's us in turmoil.

greengrocer, Jeannie960 and Ryanm1984 like this.