1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song

It feels like Lenny is back, no leadership off the park and Mr consistent Calmac has been indifferent so far this season.
    Rodgers says the right things but nothing seems to change.

2. Mr Diggler

I can understand the point you make. However your point skips to step 2 rather than focusing on one absolutely key aspect. The players brought in during Ange tenure were brought in with his image and tactics in mind. High pressing, quick transition, overloading midfield and some individual brilliance.

Rodgers has not been backed. I have made this point again and again. A lot of our players are not suitable to a slow and deliberate, controlled system that Rodgers plays. We can see that with the performances. But look at it like this- we have lost real quality and replaced it with * let's be honest. Everything we did previously recruitment wise was buying a certain player who played in a certain way and who fitted the system. With Rodgers we know he likes power and pace. We have brought in small players or players who are slow.

3. James Gold Member Gold Member

Today is massive for me in regards to backing him. I need to see a performance to believe that Wednesday counted for something too many times this season a result was due to 'kickstart' our season and it hasn't. He simply needs a performance today just scraping by wont cut it.

4. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Great team selection on paper, hopefully they do the business. As that’s the best team from who isn’t injured he could have chosen; the team selection can’t be a complaint today

bhroom, stevoEOS and Crilly like this.
  5. stevoEOS

I agree with you but it’s also a concern if Kuhn isn’t regarded as a starter when he was our only January purchase. He was horrendous on Wed though so can’t really argue with him not starting.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  6. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    It’s a given it wasn’t Rodgers signing so I wouldn’t worry too much. And all our signings are concerning recently! For me, I’m done being bothered about who we have or haven’t signed for now. Rodgers needs to get the best out of what he’s got or what is it he’s actually getting paid for. Need a big performance from him and the team today :shamrock:

TheHappyLoss and stevoEOS like this.
  7. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This. So. Much! 100% Agree,

The_Bhoy likes this.
  8. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Thought the change of formation worked today. Disappointed we didn't continue it to the end.

boylebhoy95 likes this.
  9. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’ve been very critical of BR recently but credit where it is due.
    Two up top tactic change was a welcome surprise and even though it may not have worked, fair play for mixing it up!
    It did work so I’m hopeful this will serve as a springboard for better performances going forward.

I’ve also been critical that he’s been hella repetitive and dour in interviews. Another welcome change post-match, honest assessments and a bit of humour coming through at points.

Still lots of work to be done and aye we’ve been hamstrung a fair bit with the lack of January investment but we’re at where we’re at. Either moan about it for the rest of the season or try to pluck out some positives and hope for the best.

On to the next…

bhroom, LloydsGamble and boylebhoy95 like this.
  10. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

11. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He’s got a but of the Neil Lennons about him these days. Getting cheeky.

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers insists Celtic’s win over St Mirren that kept up his perfect Scottish Cup record proves they aren’t “broken” - as he accused the club’s critics of ganging up to try to “bring them down”.

Goals from Japanese duo Kyogo and Daizen Maeda secured a comfortable 2-0 win in Paisley as Celtic remained on course to defend the trophy they won at Hampden last June. It was an eighth win in nine games for Rodgers’ men but there has been criticism over some of their performances and results this season

And Rodgers hit back at them following the win in his post match TV interview with Viaplay. The Irishman said: "The narrative around our team is that we’re not together and we’re broken but you can’t come and win very comfortably like that if you’re not. When you’re a winning club with a winning mentality … I think they’re trying to gang up on us now! When you are successful and this club has been for a long period it doesn’t take much for people to want to bring you down.

It’s about keeping that calmness. We haven’t been consistently playing to that level but we’ll get there and once the pitches get a bit better as well. We managed the game well in the second half. It was always going to be a tricky game. St Mirren are in really good form. The guys did really well and I’m pleased for them. They’re giving us absolutely everything

It’s such a tricky tie with the form St Mirren have been in. They’ve had good wins and are high in confidence and have players back from the Asia Cup so it was a big test but we stood up to it defensively. We had moments in the first half but just needed to find one or two better ways to play through the block. We could have scored more in the second half.”

Rodgers sprung a surprise with his formation as goal hero Kyogo and new Bhoy Adam Idah played together. He said: “It’s the first time we’ve done that. We’ve done it in-game and clearly we need more work but it gives us a different option. And it’s important in the modern game to have flexibility

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

New formation. Got it right. Created more chances. Glad he mentioned he worked on 2 strikers with eddy n mousa because they looked fire until sold. A we glimpse of what he's going to try do I think.

NomDePlum and Rydo1888* like this.
  14. James Gold Member Gold Member

Got the result still think the performance overall wasn't great. Still work to do and a lot of it but a step in the right direction

Peej and Twisty like this.
  15. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Think that's as happy as he's been in a month or 2. Bit puzzling given most of the players look less so.

16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

17. oh bhoy

he has ruined a good side ,get him to *

18. oh bhoy

he has ruined a good side ,get him to *

19. Big C

See all this nonsense
    It's the same Team Ang had

Brendan has destroyed the team

No it's not , no where near it

If we go back to the winter break 2022/23 season

Juranovic sold and replaced by AJ

Giakoumakis sold and replaced by Oh

Starfelt sold and been replaced by Nawrocki/ Lagerbielke

Jota sold and replaced by palma

Mooy - RETIRED and replaced by Holm

Ccv injured missed most of the season

Hatate injured missed most of the season

Maeda injured missed a lot of the season and away to the Asian Cup

Scales was on his way out the door- only because if injuries is he still a celtic player * that said he's took his chance well.

Abada been injured missed a lot of the season
    Turnbull - sold

That's 9 or 10 players who would have probably been first team starters

Oreilly hasn't kicked a ball since the bid by athletico madrid been knocked back

Now he didn't sanction these players, these deals were all done prior to his arrival

The board haven't backed the manager, they've hung him out to dry

Give rodgers a break and get behind him and his team

If you've want to vent your anger , vent it at the celtic board

honda likes this.
  20. oh bhoy

i
    rodgers has enough quality at his disposal to be playing a * of a lot better than they are , his side to side pish is soul destroying .if he hasnt got the players he wants thats his fault ,if anything he should have the balls to say that but all the talk of quality is just masking his * set up.no crosses coming in wingers coming inside where there are 2 banks of 4 ,so they play it backwards.if he hasnt figured that out yet he never will not if we signed the best players on the planet could he make that bullshit work