1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I knew I worded that terribly but was too lazy to change it.

Relying on trying to out score opponents will only get you so far is what I mean, we won't be able to do it at European level because the way our defence is at the moment it is likely teams like City and Monchengladbach will take at least 3/4 off us.

2. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    I was only messing mate, knew what you meant :celt_2:

I think it will take another few transfer windows to get a squad of players Brendan is happy with to mould his vision of how he wants football played.

But the reality of that, in my opinion still leaves us venerable to receiving a hiding in Europe again. Think we will play on the edge trying to play open attractive expansive football, on our day enough to possibly give the big guns a game. But the very nature of that style leaves us open at times, especially if conceding first and having to chase the game

3. Sentinel

Our defensive concentration has been shoddy for a long time. Until it is addressed we will be lucky to make it to the CL every year and even more lucky to take a single point once we are there.

I really fear that this group stage, which hasn't been kind to us, will be an absolute nightmare. And as much as it is great to get the money and we all want to be there, too many absolute drubbings will do none of us any favours.

If we can get there and use the money to genuinely strengthen the team, then good show, but until that happens, we will continue to ship these * goals.

PL and DD are too blame for paying pennies and going with Deila for 2 seasons.

4. doctor venglos

If we keep paying £500,000 or so for players we won't get far.
    I am pretty sure Gamboa and De Vries were panic sub standard signings after Brendan's main targets were either not approached or realised.
    If we were to spend £2M-£3M we would get a better standard of player and be able to give a better account of ourselves, especially in Europe.
    The danger is Brendan will get disillusioned by this in the near future, and some of our top players may also feel the urge to move.
    There has to be uniformity in the amount of money we are willing to spend on players as well as sensible loan deals.

5. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Have you completely written off de vries venglos?

6. doctor venglos

Yes of course. No Celtic goalkeeper should lose 7 goals and survive.
    The rot has set in with Brendan deeming that Gordon should be dropped and replaced with his chosen pick. He's lost eleven goals in four games.
    Watch De Vries closely if you get a chance. His foot movement is slow and he looks about six inches smaller than Gordon. I would fancy any direct shot at De Vries could result in a goal.

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Lubo - 300k, Larsson - 650k

Berkovic - 6 million, Bangura - 2.5 million

Your argument is, unsurprisingly, flawed.

8. Dubliner1

This is like watching Liverpool from the 2014 season. Great attacking football but brutal at the back. BR needs to learn to set the team up different at times. It's horses for courses. Due to the SPLF being so poor we will get away with it most times. When stepping up in class in European competitions we need to mix it up

9. doctor venglos

As ever your arguments are in the past, and based on statistics and figures taken out of context.

You are coy about addressing the central current issues.Because you know some of them are indefensible.

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No it didn't. Not taking our chances, plus their goalie having a great game cost us two points. It happens. We were never going to win every single domestic game we play.

It's irrational and illogical to make any comparison with today and De Vries' performance in Barcelona. They're arguably the greatest club side in history, who also happen to have the greatest play ever, along with the absolute elite of the sport in terms of players. Even goalies such as Gianluigi Buffon have suffered heavily at the hands of Messi and co. I think De Vries has been rubbish so far, but criticism of him in the Nou Camp is absurd.

Of course Gordon will be upset. Any player who isn't playing shouldn't be happy. The simple fact is, Brendan wants the team to play a certain system and De Vries suits that system better than Gordon does. As much as I don't think De Vries will have any meaningful sort of impact with us, Gordon has cost us too many times and clearly doesn't fit Brendan's system.

11. doctor venglos

We should have won that game by a barrel load today, but De Vries sold both those goals. Thus he cost us two points ultimately.It might be hard to take but it is true. We shouldn't be dropping points to the bottom of the league team.It's been a horrendous week for Celtic fans after the high of defeating Rangers.

De Vries could arguably have saved three maybe more of those goals in the Nou Camp. His positioning, foot movement and awareness look shot. He looks like a goalkeeper in free fall.I am not interested in what other goalkeepers have suffered in the Nou Camp, I am only interested in our performances.Brendan chose to play this 35 year old Notts Forest goalkeeper in the pressure cooker of the Nou Camp. It was a bad mistake by him, and cost us a record European defeat.

Sorry I don't buy this flawed argument that Gordon has cost us too many times, he hasn't, any " mistakes " he allegedly made were all blown out of proportion and ultimately didn't cost us anyway. We were winning and looked rock solid when Gordon was in goal. Now with De Vries we look shaky at best and are not winning anymore.

12. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I suppose you completely missed the 2nd goal in Israel? Stevie Wonder would have done a better job

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

So Forster was just about okay because he only conceded 6 in a single match?

Your logic is laughable.

14. ordinaryman

Agree with Liverpool comparison and that's what is starting to bother me. As you say we'll get away with our deficiencies in SPFL but am not convinced about Europe, even if, as you say, we mix it up. I just think it's difficult playing "get away with it" type football at a weekend and suddenly within 2 or 3 days, then up our game to European standards. It's just not possible. We have to bring our domestic game up to European level - pace, commitment, defending, going forwards, scoring and in particular, attitude and play at that level at all time.

15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    You always speak in absolutes and life just isn't like that, mate.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

What are the central current issues? We're in the Champions League and we'll romp the league. Rodgers has been in the door 2 minutes, he's had a fantastic start and the addition of Dembele, Toure and Sinclair has added genuine quality.

We'll strengthen again in January and continue to build.

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Very good point. Forster is world class IMO and he still lost 6.

18. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/Victor Wanyama
    He's also a doctor and has a phd. Know your place Princess.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Can you see the logical flaw in the part in bold? There's no correlation between the first part of the sentence and the second. If we had 'won by a barrel load', then their 2 goals wouldn't have mattered. De Vries didn't cost us solely on his own. What it really comes down to is their goalkeeper (and the woodwork) keeping them in the game, then their determination and poor defending allowed them to score.

He's not a Nottingham Forest player, he's a Celtic player. His age is irrelevant so I don't know why you're trying to use it against him. I'm actually in agreement with you that De Vries hasn't impressed at all, but it's silly to hold it against him for Barca tearing us apart. I brought up Buffon to show that they can do it to anyone.

You don't need to buy it, it's just the truth. Gordon has cost us a ton of goals and has been on the decline as a goalkeeper for well over a season. His mistakes weren't allegedly, they were very real and some were as recent as our European qualifying campaign. We weren't expected to beat Barca and were never going to so you can't hold that against him, and today wasn't just his fault either. He may be an utter disaster, he may turn out to be decent for us, only time will tell.

20. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    A doctor? I'd hate to go too visit him with a cold he'd have you writing out your will :smiley-laughing002: