1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Football (A-League)

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Slaw, Aug 14, 2021.

Discuss Australian Football (A-League) in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye it definitely has improved from what I can see from my vantage point over here now. I don’t think it’ll ever completely consume the country like it does in Scotland though, I’ll never forget that culture shock. Hard to comprehend.

2. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Football at Jnr level has always been huge here, its the sport most people here play first mainly because its safe and parents dont want there kids getting * up in physicals sports like rugby league and afl same with basketball, basketball is the next biggest ball sport participation wise in the country main reason being because its safe. Keeping kids in the game past the age of 14 is the real challenge, the pathways and development to take kids to the next level is a * joke tbh.. Compared to other sports like rugby league and afl where they are actual subjects to study in some high schools where football is not even mentioned.

OziBeerMan, Taz and tarboltontim like this.
  3. Mr. Slippyfist

4. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Similar experience to this. Played as a young kid in the 80s in Sydney and participation was huge. But AFL wasn't really a thing in Sydney at that time, at least not that I remember. It was all Rugby League and 'soccer'.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  5. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    It was just a thing for us Sydney folk. I played League for my school ( couldn’t crack the soccer team lol ), basketball and volleyball, but my weekend sport was soccer. And each age division had multiple teams. It was very very popular.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Couscous

Ange Postecoglou was a good player.

9. Rogicisgod

Geez this thing just died.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

10. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Bit like the league itself.

But its off season. Finals series start for the afl and nrl next week, so should be football/cricket season soon down here.

Rogicisgod likes this.
  11. Rogicisgod

Agree, the league is struggling. I went a western United match in Ballarat last year. Honestly about 350 people there

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

DdoubleD likes this.
  12. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Yeah, it's always going to be tough for a team they have made out of thin air to get a decent fan base. Pretty sure they won the league last season so I'd say they would have picked up a few fans after that.

Hopefully we can put in a decent showing at the world cup and get people interested again, that's the only hope.

Rogicisgod likes this.
  13. Rogicisgod

They are meant to be building a new stadium in bear Werribee but yeah the won the league and had no followers. I went cos a mate got a free 5 person 3 game membership

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    People sometimes find the most daft things, and this is a perfect example of a stupid choice of the hill upon whih to die, so to speak.

The NSW Govt have made a fair offer, in order to host the Grand Final for 3 years, so long as the A-League's governing body thinks tht the valuation is fair for what is on offer. But it's not like this is at all odd in Australian sport - after all those Melbournites are protesting, even though literally every AFL Grand Final is played at the MCG - and here would be a * of a stink if it were ever proposed to be hosted elsewhere, regardless of if a Melbourne/Victorian team is involved or not.

To put it in context, it's like why can't they play Scottish Cup Final in Edinburgh (as an example). Obv the SFA now actually own Hampden, so that is not going to happen, but historically it was still played there. Or Wembley down in English FA Cup etc, when there are stadiums/cities elsewhere that could handle it, and often would be more appropriate.

17. Neverwozza

Does anyone have any thoughts on a-league players that could make the step up (eventually) to Celtic?

I actually really like the look of Jacob Farrell from CCM. He is playing left back at the moment but I saw him play most of his junior football for CCMA as a center-half. He never loses a challenge, tackles clean as a whistle and already has 56 senior games under his belt 38 of them as a professional and he is only 20.

I was chatting to one of the higher-ups at CCM about him last year and he reckons he was going to earn CCM their biggest transfer fee ever when he goes.

Out of left field so to speak but I was lurking in the hearts forum checking on the aussie players there and saw a similiar thread so thought i chuck a post here.

18. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Sydney derby on just now. Half time at the moment for anybody looking for non coronation * tv. Good standard and atmosphere