1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    If Nicolson and the board had backed Howe he would have bankrupt us. Thank * for Ange.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

2. Big Marn

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ange Fenian Song
    Jeggo is more a CDM, the other guy is a CM/CAM bro.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Australian was questioned about difficulties facing Daizen Maeda, Yosuke Ideguchi and Reo Hatate and adapting to life in Scotland.

If you’re not familiar with the standard of the J-League or who plays there it would appear to be a bit of a gamble.

To bring four Japanese players to the Scottish Premiership in the same season might be viewed by some as a leap of faith for Celtic.

But that’s not how gaffer Ange Postecoglou sees it.

The Hoops boss bristles at the thought of signing Kyogo Furuhashi, Daizen Maeda, Yosuke Ideguchi and Reo Hatate just because he knows them from working in the Far East.

When it’s suggested that it might be difficult for non-English speakers to integrate quickly into his Parkhead dressing-room in the midst of a title race, he’s having none of it.

Postecoglou understands the questioning. But this is no “jobs for the boys” scenario.

He’s adamant that, irrespective of where they’ve come from, he has acquired three terrific players in this January transfer window – on top of star striker Kyogo who arrived in July.

He refuses to talk about them as a collective. Because the Aussie says each of his Japanese contingent is unique.

The Celtic manager said: “We have to be careful about just saying ‘four Japanese players’.

“These are four individuals who are totally different people. And they’re totally different types of players too.

“It’s a bit lazy for us all to say, I’ve just brought in four Japanese. I’ve brought in four quality players who I think can add to what we’re doing here.

“They have different personalities and they’ve had different career paths so far. They each will offer something different to the club.

“The reason I went down this road is two fold. One, I have great knowledge of that market in that part of the world because it’s where I’ve worked.

“And two, it’s ideal for the January market because their season finishes in December.

“I knew this after the summer window and that’s when we started working on it. If we want to get players in the January window, it’s a good part of the world to do business in.

“But don’t assume we’ve just brought in ‘four Japanese players’. We’ve brought in four top quality players who can all contribute to our club.”

But surely it’s inevitable that four players from the same country will automatically gravitate towards each other in a dressing-room?

Again, Postecoglou disagrees. Instead, he’s confident the likes of Celtic skipper Callum McGregor will help the new boys settle in.

And the Aussie makes a valid point when he says that if Maeda, Ideguchi or Hatate wanted to hang around with Japanese people, they’d have stayed in the J-League.

He said: “Again, you’re assuming they’re all the same. The reality of it is, they’re not going to help each other integrate into the group.

“Callum and the senior players in the squad understand that. They’re the ones they’ll be interacting with.

“Some came to Europe because they didn’t want to be in the environment they were in. They wanted to get away from that – that is why they’re here.

“The fact Kyogo was here WASN’T an attraction to them. And having three other players from Japan wasn’t that exciting for Kyogo.

“What’s exciting is that we’re bringing another three quality players into the squad. Kyogo is excited about that.

“For the players coming in, they’re now at a big club and want to test themselves at the highest level possible. I get it (the doubts) because it can seem like people who come from the same place are all the same.

“But I have run into all kinds of different Scots since I came here. And it’s like that all over the world.

“You’ve got to get to know these guys. They can speak Japanese but if they were only interested in continuing to speak Japanese, they’d have stayed in Japan. You’d be surprised. Kyogo’s English is coming along well. Daizen’s English is no problem and the other guys are working hard at it.

“That’s the reason they’ve left their shores. They don’t need home comforts and if they did they’d struggle wherever they went.

“From our perspective, our support comes from not trying to replicate what they had over there.

“It comes from providing an environment that makes them fulfil their football dreams. That’s why they left their own country to come to a club like this.”

Another foreign player brought in by Postecoglou is Greek striker Giorgos Giakoumakis, who is now fully fit again after the winter break.

After signing on deadline day from VVV Venlo in Holland, the frontman struggled for fitness and form.

A missed penalty in a 0-0 draw at home to Livingston in October didn’t help his cause. But Postecoglou believes that – just like his Japanese acquisitions – Giakoumakis is now ready to make an impact.

He said: “Giorgos is back, he’s done all his rehab.

“We gave most players a week off but him and a couple of others worked right through so he’s good to go.

“He’s one of three or four who didn’t have an ideal start at Celtic. He came in late and had several challenges. He didn’t do a pre-season and our campaign was up and running when he arrived.

“He had a couple of injury setbacks, a whole range of things, so we’ve had to be a patient.

“They weren’t all going to hit the ground running. Two or three of the signings were quick off the blocks but others needed time.

“Hopefully, Giorgos is now ready to go again.

“He has trained well and Giorgos will get an opportunity to show what he’s all about.”

4. Lewis Kerr

The social media/PR team need to stop grouping them all together like they are one entity. I get it for when they were first revealed but since then it's been cringe

BigManSmalls, Big Marn, Taz and 4 others like this.
  5. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Ive no issue with it at all.

Its great publicity for us to expand the fan base and by the extension, the commercial revenue from east asia.

Ive already received texts from Japanese mates looking for sites to watch our games.

And from what i hear, sports shops in Shizuoka at least, are starting to stock Celtic shirts.
    Thats not to mention i live in Vietnam, and yesterday, for only the third time in the 7 years ive lived here, i saw a Celtic shirt on a native. And it wasnt a 20 year old chinese knock off with ford peoples on it

6. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Think the fact all three signed on same day, announced in one go and we had no games for nearly three weeks after the announcement. They will all be seen much more as individuals as they start playing games

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

7. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I agree. I get the reason why, but once they start playing and each player is judged on their own merits etc

Dublin Celt and martin_d like this.
  8. crazy-horse1977

Come on Ange, we want more of these hidden Japanese gems. Hatate is some player!

Tommy25 likes this.
  9. wulliebad

Can this * spot a player or what.:ange::36:

10. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Great football played today. FairPlay to the gaffer

Tommy25 likes this.
  11. Sgt Neppers*

A very good night. Very good win. Very good performances. And easily, and I mean easily a few gears to go up as well.

A coherent, well thought out vision. Love it. :ange2:

Tommy25 likes this.
  12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Just a small gripe, wish he would make subs a bit earlier tbh, playing the pressing game takes a lot of energy, also should've hooked big Tam on the hour mark.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. stevoEOS

Definitely, players looked leggy early doors in the 2nd half. Surprised he didn’t switch it up earlier.

The Prof likes this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Tommy25 likes this.
  16. Homoman

If we win this season and Ange starts being noticed by bigger clubs. Something that's probably already happening. Is anyone worried that we will be poached by a cashed club?

17. Mr Cleansheets

I've said all along he'd be a success and would be noticed by richer clubs.

I've also said all along that I believe he sees Celtic as the perfect club to create a legend and a legacy - and you don't do that by leaving after one season.

I reckon he'll be unrelenting in his pursuit of silverware over at least three seasons and will do something memorable in Europe.

Best I'm not wrong, as the only thing likely to sway that is a massive offer that sets his family up for life.

18. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

The contrast to this season and last is incredible, and it’s all down to this fella.

Constantly positive, takes no nonsense from the media, very respectful of the supporters, always defending the club.

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    When we're on our A game, the football he has us playing is phenomenal, better than some of Rodgers stuff in the Invincible season even.

He even knows how to win dirty, those wins in December against Hearts, Motherwell, Ross County and Aberdeen were all games where we weren't at our best and had injuries galore, yet he still churned out results.

On yerself Ange

:ange:

Tommy25 likes this.
  20. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

Celtic FC is the perfect environment and platform for Ange to work, in my opinion. He will stay for at least 3 years if not longer, as long as he is happy. He has a young family who can be educated in Scotland. He has a settled home life. He does not need the crap that goes with being a manager in England. He can fly to Greece in 3 hours for his summer holidays if need be.

He has many positives for him to stay at the club. A modern 60,000 seat stadium, a huge fan base and modern training complex. A virtual guarantee of European football each year, a familiar environment in which to work in, people who respect his work and love him as a person, and the fact that he can communicate in English.

He is a manager who wants his work to bring success and trophies both domestically and internationally, with a world renowned club that has traditions close to his own background when growing up. A club created by immigrants in a new land and a club philosophy based on attractive, exciting attacking football. He will want to leave his mark with Celtic FC.

He will eventually retire to live in Greece all being well, a land where most people these days also speak English.

I do not see him managing a Greek club side and that is for a number of reasons.

I do see him managing the Greek national team in WC qualifiers later in his career.