1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ozzie Hoop

Quality post for mine

2. Ozzie Hoop

So your suggestion is to continue with the style of play that got 2nd by 25 points last season?

He's not asking them to run backwards and only kick with their non dominant foot, just change from the style of the previous manager.

3. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

All this 'new style' and his super philosophy pish is doing my head in. As others have said, he's no reinventing the sport.
    Only difference I seen against Mityjland and Hearts was he thinks we're Bayern or City and wants our full backs to play in a packed midfield.
    There's zero organisation, no fight, no desire, no pressing, no intensity, still weak at the back. Still slow passing about for the sake of it.

Crilly and Mince.Charming like this.
  4. Ozzie Hoop

Don't think anyone has said "super philosophy" nor that he's reinventing the sport but it's a change to how the players have played last season for sure. Pretty sure, given the results and play that was on display, that's a positive thing though.

The no desire, no pressing, no intensity, slow passing around at the back for the sake of it, that was already in the side and will be something that is actively being coached out of them. It may however take a little longer than 4 weeks.

5. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

All you read about or even hear Ange himself saying is 'once we get our style of football across'. I think a lot of Ange fans and even Ange think he has this incredible style/philosophy that's unprecedented, never been seen before, and once he gets the Celtic players playing this way, he's gonna sweep everyone aside. It screams of naivety.

He needs to adapt and fast. I understand 4 weeks isn't long, but he won't get anywhere near the time he got in the A or J league.
    If he isn't careful this could get away from him very quickly.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  6. Jeffrey

Something about stating you want to play nice attacking football makes me uncomfortable. Who doesn’t want to play nice football and attack the other team, it’s almost the whole point of the sport.

Add into the bargain that every team in Scotland - the huns included - WANT us to be high up the park in the hope they can hit us on the counter, scoring or drawing a foul where they can ping balls into their hammer throwers in the box. I don’t think that philosophy is the best thing for us at the moment. A breathe of fresh air is needed in terms of tactics in Scotland. We’ve played the same type of football since Rodgers first season with diminishing returns year upon year. Part of this is the obvious decline of the quality of players we have; the other is teams know how to play against this type of football. Teams have adapted, and they’re continually getting better at it.

7. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    The squad is threadbare, severely lacking in quality in all departments.

This is what Ange needs to deal with. He will have to adapt and be pragmatic. I'm sure he's got a clear vision of how to play, but he doesn't have the tools at the moment.

King of Kings likes this.
  8. Ozzie Hoop

He has a particular style of play, that's all he's referring to, so do most managers? Bielsa is different to Pep is different to Jose is different to even Steve Bruce (thank *!) but they all have their own style.

He's never suggested nor implied he thinks he thinks he'll "sweep everyone aside" but he believes in his style of play, as do all the others I've mentioned, and wants his sides to adopt it. He's certainly not naive when it comes to football, far from it, he's a realist and a very straight shooter which most seem to have realised after watching and listening to him.

I think the club realises just how far their standards have fallen so he'll get some time to rebuild from them, the fans, they could be a different story I guess.

9. murphy88

I actually thought we played some good stuff in the home game against Midtjylland prior to Bitton being a clown.

Ignore that though, because the fact is, the guy has been here 4 weeks and took over a complete mess of a squad. We all agreed last season that this was the biggest rebuild arguably ever. We have lost Ajer since then who was our best player last season and we haven’t brought in any player yet who has had time to full settle. What are folk really expecting to see at this stage?

I’m not saying that Ange will succeed here, because if I’m honest, I think the job is too big for him, and he won’t get the backing needed. Trying to judge the style of play after 4 weeks given what he inherited and the way the transfer window has gone is ridiculous though in my opinion.

The state we were left in at the end of last season could genuinely take years to fix. Had the board showed ambition and brought in a top manager and gave him serious cash to spend then we might have seen an instant turnaround. The board didn’t do this though. They have basically surrendered this whole season with their Mickey Mouse way of running us.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Pish.

Against Midtjylland we had spells of moving the ball well and quickly.

Hearts was a different animal. Camped in their box like every other Scottish team is going to do. Dreading watching that type of game time after time.

oh bhoy and Ozzie Hoop like this.
  11. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The problem is- we will be facing that same setup over and over. A high press will only compact the opposition more. Meanwhile, we have no striker in form.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

We just need a good poacher. A guy who may not link up the best but for some reason is always standing in the right spot for a rebound, save, miss hit and put it away.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  13. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Last 15 hearts took the game to us and we hid wasn’t till after their goal we woke up in last 15 hearts were all over us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. oh bhoy

this is it , we looked completly clueless v hearts and thats what we have to face almost every week

Free the Adblock likes this.
  15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He was never in a million years going to implement it in 4 weeks. You've said you understand that so I don't see the point in handing out significant pelters when for the most part this isn't his team either and we clearly don't have the right type, particularly at full back.

We've all sat in here and spoke for months about how bad a situation we are in and are still talking about it so we really need to realise how long this is going to take. I get that we are "celtic" and we can't afford time but what else do people expect? Start sacking managers after 2 months etc etc? Cos that ain't the answer either.

There is no quick fix, no matter what manager was here.

The * board should be the first target here. Fair enough critique him on some elements of tactics as I have too, but until he's been here an extended amount of time and learned more about the opposition AND has more of his own players AND maybe, just maybe even a backroom staff member he knows, I find it hard to be overly harsh.

Hes been dealt a horrendous hand.

16. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Exactly. We looked rank rotten against Hearts, created * all, and frail at the back. Teams will suss out how to play against us very quickly, a quick ball over the top and you're pretty much guaranteed a run at a CB, and then in our box.

I want Ange to succeed, of course, but I think there's massive amounts of naivety with him and his fans.

RiquelmeCSC and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  17. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

I thought he'd have us a bit harder to beat, but we actually look weaker at times, we're so exposed. Granted our keepers literally don't know where to stand :giggle1:, but still.

18. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ange was immediately marked as a manager who only cares about attacking. I did not want him in.

19. celtic warrior

I think he would make us harder to beat..... If Celtic actually signed the defenders we needed since the day, Jesus himself was born.

20. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

They over egged the attacking philosophy I think tbf, he cannot possibly be as attacking as they make out :giggle1:. That being said, our defensive frailties are worrying, 2v2 at the back all day long, every winger in the league will be desperate to play against us.

I didn't want him either, nobody did, but now he's here he'll get backed I guess. The next few weeks are * massive for him though, a lot of must win games coming up.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.