1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

I don't hate it. I'm more angry about the fact that he's not going to get any time to assess the squad, make transfers or prepare the team for the qualifiers. It really does make us look * the way the Howe situation has turned out.

I like the philosophy, I like the emphasis on fitness. I'll back him when he comes in. I'd take him over Clarke or Davidson. But from the board, appointing a manager in this manner when they knew the scale of the rebuilding job that was required - that's unforgivable.

2. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    We need names here...

3. SuperZidane

If you think this guy is going to get a season to "reshape the team and its philosophy" - you live in a dream world.

Lennon is a Celtic hero and people (including myself) were calling for a change in September last year when it was clear that we were going nowhere.

This guy is not the choice of at least 90% of Celtic fans - if we are * and results are like last year - there will be calls for him to go well before Christmas.

thailandceltic likes this.
  4. James Gold Member Gold Member

The guy literally has a matter of weeks to rebuild a squad before our biggest games of the season he can't be afforded a year to try and get up to speed he has to hit the ground running

5. Mr Cleansheets

"In all fairness, you can't blame the guy for taking the job. I have a degree of sympathy for him - I don't think he has any idea what he's walking into."

Few prepare as thoroughly as Ange. You can bet he knows exactly what he's walking into and has weighed it up - the massive challenge of Celtic against the ruin of his (so far very good) reputation if he doesn't measure up. But he's the type of chap always hunting for a challenge.

It occurs to me also that he wouldn't have applied for the job. He would've been tapped on the shoulder.

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He smokes the ganj
    Licks the *
    And his name is big Ange
    * the huns

7. Mr Cleansheets

I'm sure you're right, but if he is appointed people will have to be patient with him.

Celtic already have a strong enough squad for him to work with against the bottom half but re-imposing the Celtic dominance at the top is what the job's all about.

The big Viduka and kramer1 like this.
  8. oh bhoy

Cheap yes man, easy to manipulate desperate for a job .farcical

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  9. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    It's not even the fact we're close to appointing this guy that depresses me (albeit it isnt helping) its moreso the fact it's means Kennedy and Strachan are most likely staying.

Sgt Neppers* and Peej like this.
  10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He might be a lot of things but from the videos I watched he ain’t no yes man.

11. SuperZidane

I didn't say that he applied - I'm certain that he was "tapped on the shoulder" as you say.

I live in Aus so I'm not trying to be offensive - the A league is English league 1 level at best. Aussies have realistic expectations in soccer - qualifying for the World Cup is a big success and, in all honesty, they always have a much easier path than most European teams.

Gordon Strachan said that he didn't realize how demanding and big the Celtic managers job was until he was in the chair.

If someone like Strachan who has played and managed at the top level for his whole career is a bit overwhelmed initially - I can't see what experience this guy has that could prepare him.

CydonianWaffle likes this.
  12. James Gold Member Gold Member

Time will tell I suppose but I would see him as a yes man as well. I never thought Lennon would become a yes man either but we seen how that ended

13. Mr Cleansheets

This could not be more wrong. Very much his own man and would walk into any job in Asia where the pay is likely to be better than Scotland. He'd be going to Celtic for the challenge - end of.

14. Mr Cleansheets

I wasn't suggesting anyone said he applied - it just occurred to me as the likely situation.

And with all due respect to Strachan he doesn't come across as a towering intellect. Ange is a deep thinker about teh game and obsessive student of European leagues. Also, very well connected as you'd expect a CFG manager to be. I seem to remember him talking about spending a couple of weeks with Pep once where they got on like a house on fire - understood each other very well.

He will be the very opposite of a yes man - it'll be Ange's way or the highway - including for himself, no doubt.

15. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Celtic don't have a strong squad and it's about to get weaker.

16. SuperZidane

If he's not - then I think it'll be a short tenure. I'm sure that Desmond, Lawwell, and McKay knew what the reaction of fans would be if this guy gets the job (along with Kennedy and possibly Strachan). They'll only stick with him if he goes along with them.

This is the biggest job this guy will ever have (by a million miles) - if he wants to keep it - he'll have to play the game as Lennon did.

If he doesn't toe the line (and all credit to him if he doesn't) - and results are bad - they certainly won't stand by him as they did Lennon.

17. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Catchy.. I'm in

The big Viduka likes this.
  18. jj81

He inhales thy smoke
    He is partial to a sniff of glou
    Is he an aussie or is it just his shoe?

He looks like sanjeev kohli
    He might be holy
    We will find out by the colour of his toly

Welcome big anjy
    Did ye ever watch easties
    When it was gita and sanjay?

19. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    He is not a yes man,i will give you the hot tip.
    He will shake the * out of your club in a good way

20. Mr Cleansheets

I think there is at least a 50/50 chance of this happening. But he won't play their game. He'll only accept the job on condition that he's given the necessary time and resources - to which the board will agree. Then go back on their word if the results aren't immediately good and the fan pressure ramps up.

At that point, Ange will say he was undermined and walk away rather than risk his reputation. He's left jobs before out of pure principle - including the NT job straight after we qualified for the WC in 2018.