1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Did we all miss a DoF appointment?

2. JamesM09

What’s Ange’s temperament when it comes to players?

Is he cliquey like Lennon? Is he likely to go in random huffs with players he doesn’t get on with? Does he stick by his favourites and let them take set pieces/shoot whenever they want like Lennon did?

I mean that as a genuine question. I don’t think I can be bothered with another manager like that. Nothing worse than watching decent players rot on the bench because a manager takes a huff or can’t handle a personality.

The Phoenix and AdamRS like this.
  3. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    He is loyal to all of his players

4. SteveyNico67

Bring him home to Paradise

5. JamesM09

I know this is pure speculation, but say he’s here last season and he has the Soro - Brown situation. What would you guess he would do? Does he moan like * and isolate Soro like Lennon did to stay loyal to Brown?

What about guys like Johnson and Dembele who are (maybe) a wee bit primadonna types? I assume he manages them like a good manager rather than tell them to * off?

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    What makes you think Mikey Johnstone is a primadonna? Never heard that being levelled at him.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  7. JamesM09

I don’t think that to be fair. I’ve seen some people suggest it when taking a dig at him - again, not something I agree with.

I only mentioned his name because he’s one of the big ones Lennon seemed to take a dislike to.

8. Gurru 991

Most managers tell the club what they are looking for i.e. left sided defensive midfielder & the clubs scouting team put forward names that are possibly available & possibly affordable. Then the Manager, head scout & DOF will review those players. Sometime a manager will have a specific player in mind but he doesn't replace the scouting team.
    Remember that Ange now has two weeks to electronically review a lot of games.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Thought he really liked him but he was just constantly injured.

10. JamesM09

Maybe. It’s not the impression I got, but there’s certainly plenty of other examples where Lennon seemed to take a huff with a player and just exclude them for a few months, while other players were playing *.

I hope Ange isn’t the same.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Every manager in the world has guys that they like to rely on and trust mate, and those they don’t.

joemc likes this.
  12. JamesM09

Of course, wouldn’t dispute that for a second.

But there’s a line there that you don’t want to be on the wrong side of, like us last season under Lennon.

martin_d likes this.
  13. Gurru 991

Usually if a manager doesn't like you it's not about personality! I'ts about whether you are training hard, listening to instructions & your overall work ethic. Ange will be no different from any top manager in that you won't play if you're being a *.

The big Viduka likes this.
  14. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Its scary just how many people who have worked with Ange or followed his career who are saying that we have unearthed an absolute gem here and he will bring great success to our club. I realise his mates and buddies in the Australian media are going to praise him but it seems to be everyone who knows him have nothing but good things to say about him.

I find this very encouraging and im excited by his appointment. I urge the Celtic fans to give this guy the opportunity to prove what he can do. We are in a very poor state at the moment so unfortunately we are going to have to accept there may be a few setbacks along the way, he's going to have to be given some time to sort out the mess he has inherited. I think thats just plain common sense. Throwing the toys out of the pram is not going to help anyone the minute we get a poor result, I just hope certain Celtic fans bear this in mind when they are about to start ranting and calling for his head.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  15. Mr Cleansheets

This touches on my own biggest concern for Ange. Building a squad - inspiring a squad - getting the squad to play a certain way - those are his great talents. But he's always done it with comparatively small squads with salary caps or with NT squads that he selected.

He's never had to deal with a large squad where agents are constantly scheming to get better or different deals for their clients and up to all sorts of tricks that can deeply affect team morale. It is so much harder to build the sense of common purpose - the brothers in arms mentality that Ange has always built his success on.

External forces affecting the team is something he's not really dealt with before (not counting the media) and that, I think, will be his biggest learning curve. How he copes with affected players will be interesting.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    JamesM09, VT8 and Sydneysider like this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    No new staff members at all, not even Ange bringing in one of his own coaches/assistant.

Shaw paraded yesterday, a guy lined up to sign long before Ange was ever approached. Yet signed off this week.

Sviatchenko strongly linked to return, former player.

Something tells me Ange is the yes man we all expected he would be.

The Aussie boys I get want to big up their own guys and show support to him etc, but it's hard to argue with what's yet again happening in front of us.

A cheap option, with a poor CV accepting staff and players that he has clearly had zero input on.

But we are told he won't be a yes man, that he won't take no *. Sorry lads, looks like he is exactly that already

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

17. Mr Cleansheets

So you've got Shaw lined up yonks ago and a rumour to Sviatchenko?

Yep, plenty of yes man evidence there.

When did they announce he'd not be bringing in any staff?

Mickmac, SuperZidane and VT8 like this.
  18. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Whilst I fear you are most likely correct it is far too early to draw those sort of conclusions just yet

19. Dip 'n' Swerve

gary hooper, bobo balde and paddy mc court being linked to celtic?!
    why are we being linked to ex players fs! who is making these decisions - I would not be surprised if we didn't try to sign Charlie mulgrew and pinch him from Dundee utd.

I like sviatchenko, I think he deserved to stay he wasn't injury prone and had a good attitude, good threat from attacking corners but he is not a leader at the back and regression from the club if we go back from him.

It is crucial that the first 3 signings made are big impact players, we need big game players brought into the club and bedded in asap!

we don't need lennon trying to sling mud, to be fair in my eyes he is showing me exactly what he is, a spoilt sulking petulant child, he prob is * off that he didn't get asked to do any euro media or tv pundit stuff.

it isn't even a fear that during our first CL games the team will be half-baked with players working moves away from the club thrown into play with no real intent, passion or want to get a result.

big lad has been thrown well and truly into the deep-end, just wait until he gets the begging bowl out for players whilst the board is already sending celtic tops out to japan to think of money money money money lining their own pockets.

20. SuperZidane

I agree - I can't see how anyone could possibly conclude that Ange is a "Yes man" since he hasn't actually done anything yet (or that we know of). Personally, I think I'll wait until he arrives, selects backroom staff and we know who his initial transfer targets are before making any judgements.

To be fair, in all the coverage of Ange I've seen here in Aus - I don't think I've ever seen him accused of being a "Yes man" - his reputation is actually that he is very much his own man.

Sydneysider likes this.