1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaddyJamieson

We were the club to finally give him his break in Europe, a fanbase who adored him even when people were writing him off early doors. We are also a club whose history connects to his own life story.

He has brought up all these things independently and I have no reason to think he was lying. Just because he is ambitious and moved on to new opportunities in no way means he feels nothing towards us. In fact I think it's mental to suggest that.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ok. Well either way it doesn't really matter. He's gone now and he did a great job here.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye I hear that mate and it's fair enough..

I'm hopeful now that we'll kick on..

Peej and Random Review like this.
  4. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    He rebuilt our team after the Lennon debacle. Brought an exciting style to the club. He got a life changing offer to manage in the EPL. He took it, fair play to him. I hope he does well there. I am grateful for the 2 years of trophies and brilliant football that he provided.

Random Review likes this.
  5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yeah, I agree on that.

I do think I'm not the ony one who has this impression about Ange, though. It's the only way I can explain to myself a fairly large minority of fans that are clearly quite resentful. Although some have tried to argue this or that about his final few months or the way he left us; it's absolutely clear that Ange did nothing wrong and was extremely professional till the end. In addition, he was always likely to leave if a team like Spurs came in, we're not talking Southampton here. We're not even talking Leicester. So that can't be the reason either.

But the biterness makes perfect sense if (like me) they think he has wiped us from his mind and if (unlike me) they previously had fallen for his patter.

I'm right, aren't I, regarding what I guessed in a post above about the impression he gave people? I mean, I haven't checked, but I'm fairly sure that I was to say right that people on here would have been saying "he gets it" after every other press conference that first 18 months or so.

I have Rodgers to thank for teaching me to hold back in that regard. I fell for his spiel first time round hook, line and sinker, so I was a little wary about Ange's, which is probably why I'm sad rather than bitter.

6. celtic20

Certainly haven’t established ourselves yet. But it was certainly a result that has me moving on from him tbh.

Funnily enough, no quite sure Ange would’ve pulled that off with our injuries

Peej likes this.
  7. themouth1888

I can't bring myself to dislike him and hope he does well.

I'm almost sure when he met with Desmond and leach a few months back he had discussions about how this season could look and he was told he could fill up with as many projects and loans as he wanted and that wasnt exactly great news for him.

Not saying he would have stayed but in the end I think we made it an easy decision.

Artorias and Hammy89 like this.
  8. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He’s a cad and a bounder!

He broke my heart.

(I’m still hurting)

9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

And Postecoglou put his former club in the highest regard as he reflected on his two-year stay. The Aussie responded: "It was a magical time for me. I have gone from managing one of the most famous football clubs in the world to managing one of the biggest.

"I am living the dream and my two years at Celtic, I don't need to tell people that, it will stay with me forever and mainly because of the supporters. It was a magical couple of years there.

"I keep saying to everyone, if you have a bucket list of clubs you want to be involved with, Celtic would be right at the top of that list."

10. seanm

Class. * i miss that man.HH

11. PaddyJamieson

Hopefully puts any mad notion that we mean nothing to him to bed.

12. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    I'm usually a bitter wee * when people leave but I can't take myself to be bitter against him. Think he was a genuine man and I hope he does well (even at Spurs).

VT8, Artorias, Twisty and 1 other person like this.
  13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think the comments above are something you should read.

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Only an utter * of a Celtic fan will dislike him. Gave us two great years after the disaster that was Neil Lennon and moved on to a better league, for the good of his own career. Fair play to him.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Don't wish him any ill but need to move on.

Nice comments...cheers..bye.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  16. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Wish the guy the best of luck, no ill will towards him at all, but I think there's still a lot of our fans that haven't really moved on from his era.

His football was great, and he was very likeable *, no doubt about it, but I think it's time people move on and fully support the current regime,

We'll get Ange back after he's sacked from Spurs anyway :fear:

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Why? I freely admit that a great many people still have a lot of affection for him, including me.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It’s the quotes from Ange talking about us. He has great affection and love for us, and makes no doubt about it. He also has an iron will and ambition to be the best and prove that, we had the results of that and he has left us in such a better position than anybody would have ever thought.

I feel like a jilted ex that just wants them back when it comes to Ange, but nobody can doubt what he done for us, how he feels about us before, during and now after his time here.

He has moved on, but he’s still got part of his heart here and we’ve still got part of his ethos here.

20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Ah, the quotes from Ange. Is this quote current or from just after he left? I could swear I've seen that quote before.

Anyway, from the use of the pronoun "it", I'm guessing he was asked a direct question about his time here. What else is he going to say? This is one of those cases where Thomas Bayes explains a lot. If you already believe that Ange had a great time here, then his quote confirms that quite nicely. For those of us who don't see that, the quote doesn't provide much reason to update our beliefs.

I know it's going to sound mental to you and Callum McGregor for me to say that him literally saying what a great time he had doesn't provide me with much evidence that I need to update my beliefs about whether he had a great time here; but that's because you see no reason not to take his words at face value whereas I don't necessarily believe some of the things that he says (except when it comes to football)*. This means that for me to update my beliefs, I need to see more than just words.

What would make me change my view? Well if he were to say something about us without actually being asked, that might move the needle a little; but what would really move the needle a lot would be some kind of action. Something like attending a game, contributing something (even a video) to one of our charity events or I don't know, uploading a TikTok of himself helicoptering a picture of the king while shouting "Tiocfaidh ár lá!" or whatever.
    This is not going to happen while he's so laser-focussed at Spurs, so if I'm ever going to change my mind it's unlikely to be soon. Maybe it will happen when he retires from the game. I would like that.

And yet, in spite of the above (and the footnote below), I like him, I admire him and I respect him and I don't think he's actually a bullshitter. I even find him personally inspirational, since at 46 I often feel like any chance I had to achieve anything in my life has gone and I'm a fool to keep working as hard as I can and yet look at Ange: he was 10 years older than me when finally he got his break in Europe. Whether he succeeds at a club like Spurs remains to be seen; but it's now beyond doubt that he is good enough to manage in the EPL, which is currently the best league in the world.

* Partly because he's a bit too cute sometimes, but mainly because some of what he has said in the past didn't make much sense to me if taken at face value but made perfect sense if taken as a story he tells himself to explain to himself what he is doing.