1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

9/11 - Your experience

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Gioventu, Sep 9, 2021.

Discuss 9/11 - Your experience in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Believe it or not I was actually in the Celtic shop in argyle st! The staff were talking about it and we didn’t really know what was goin on. Wasn’t until we were back in the house we realised the full extent of the tragedy.
    Watched a few documentaries recently about it. Only 18 people were pulled from the rubble after the collapse which I found bewildering. For some reason I just assumed there’d be more.
    NEADS and ATC were in total disarray too and had their communication been better they could have prevented further deaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. leeso-ardoyne

Don't think anyone will ever forget what they where doing that day when this happened. I remember the mate saying to me, well remember this day for the rest of our lives so clearly! And he was right.

I was actually booking a flight in Belfast city centre to get over to Oporto to watch us play Porto at there old home stadium in Celtics first CL appearance. I was trying to find a place with internet to check the times and get it booked on easy jet. Belfast library of all places I was and phones the fella running the supporters club to ask him the flight details and he tells me a plane has just flew into the world trade center thinking holy *, must have been an accident and was like garymac above, I was like * is the world trade centre! Had to phone him back 15mins later and he tells me he's just watched another plane fly into the second tower and knew straight away this was no accident! Drove straight home to my apartment and never left the TV all day watching all the news channels in disbelief. Then my da phones me to inform me my wee sister was on top of it just 10days or so before this happened. Irish kids that grew up during the troubles got brought over to America for holidays and the family my sis stayed with brought her to see the towers. Doesn't bare thinking what them people went through stuck in them towers getting burnt, crushed alive or even having to jump out rather than burn to death. Would bring a tear to a glass eye thinking of them and there families.

20 years on! Ya don't see the years passing. Definitely doesn't fell that long.

3. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just walked into history class in school, teacher wheeled the famous telly in with a stunned look on her face. Think everyone thought we were getting to watch a film. Full class just watched in disbelief. Still feels so fresh in the memory. At the time I didn't realise some of the stuff, like the people jumping out windows. Watching clips of that is heartbreaking.

4. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I was in the air at the time flying into Holland me and the mate were on free drink on the plane holy * we were well * , we crawled off the plane got thro customs got our luggage and headed straight for the bar , the TV was on we actually thought it was disaster movie we were watching.

5. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I was standing at a medicine trolley in the middle of a 4 bedded room and the telly was on. I was giving out the meds to what I can only describe as the moaniest folk to ever share a room. Seriously you usually get a few laughs among the male patients. Anyway I was concentrating on what I was doing when I suddenly became aware of a change in the atmosphere, the men murmuring among themselves and the sounds off the telly getting a bit excitable. I looked over to see what was happening and was immediately transfixed as we all were as we watched a live airing of the second plane going into the tower. I'm like where is that? Is that for real? You could see all * breaking loose and the utter devastation and disbelief in the faces of the people reporting. The world seem to stand still and I can't remember another * thing about that day.

I will always remember that day and a few others. The Enniskillin Bombing, Dunblane, the day Elvis died, Diana died and the death of Michael Jackson . Some things just shock you and stick with you. I never liked Elvis or MJ, have never been a royalist, but the mood of people around me reasonated in some way.

Sydneysider and Forestbhoy66 like this.
  6. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Some great stories here, if anyone’s interested in podcasts I’ve just listened to a great one with a firefighter who was there on the day. One of the saddest things I’ve listened to his accounts of the actual impact it made on everyone involved. It’s a lex fridman podcast #220 with niels Jorgensen. Would recommend it to anyone. Not ashamed to say I shed a few tears listening to it

7. leeso-ardoyne

Forgot all about that one. was supposed to be going to that game aswell. Was this the first match in the CL or second. Wasn't it juve, Rosenberg and Porto. Was supposed to go to the Juve away game aswell but wasn't that cancelled aswell. Forget why I didn't end up going to that one.