1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

10 in a row Squad

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, May 20, 2020.

Discuss 10 in a row Squad in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    We will buy a few players need a LW for a start Lennon said as much probably a CB unless he plans on using Bitton and Welsh/Deas for cover. Need a GK and maybe a LB won't see lots come in but will strengthen in the right areas

The_Bhoy likes this.
  2. Foley1888

It would be interesting to see how that worked with Frimpong on the left or Forrest left, Frimpong right. He didn't seem to have the best time out at Partick but Lee O'Connor seems to be comfortable at either full back position so again could be someone worth trying at left wing back preseason. Although it was a bit disappointing to hear he wasn't part of the 30 returning to training last week.

As for not really signing anyone, Lennon has said hes looking for 3 or 4, mind you last year we were getting 2 or 3 in before next qualifier and often they never arrived. It will also depend on if we lose anyone (e.g. Eddy, Ntcham, Ajer) or sell anyone that Lennon doesn't fancy (e.g. Boli, Bayo, Shved).

As things stand just now we definitely need a keeper even if we don't get FF and we need a centre back with Jozo being let go. We are light at LW if we will go 4-2-3-1 and the verdict is out on LWB if we go 3-5-2 but which we prioritise will depend on the formation Lenny is planning to play predominately. That could be the 3 or 4 positions being discussed. We do seem to be getting linked to a lot of forwards so perhaps we are looking to move Bayo on.

It will also be interesting to see which of the young players who have been on loan or playing in the reserves may be ready for a chance such as Dea's, Welsh, O'Connor, Connell, McInroy and Dembele etc.

The_Bhoy and JC Anton like this.
  3. KennyBhoy87

Do you know who the 30 were who did return to training? Been trying to find that info since training restarted!

4. Foley1888

I don't know who the 30 were but did see an article saying O'Connor, Connell and Afolabi were not included in the first day 30 training slots however Welsh, Dembele, Henderson and Robertson were all part of the 30.

The other thing that is not clear from the article is whether it is the same 30 players filling the slots everyday or if there may be a rotation for some of the younger guys.

KennyBhoy87 likes this.
  5. KennyBhoy87

Good to see the younger squad members in there. Hopefully opportunity for one or two to make an impact this season, Robertson & Welsh stand out for me.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  6. Goggzy60

For me a natural Left Sided Centre Back is what we should be looking at if it's to be on the left in a back 3 or back up to Ajer we need one.

We are in desperate need for a Goalkeeper Bains just not good enough for Europe.

I also don't like Forrest at RWB it pushes him too far back.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  7. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Agree we’re not fully covered for Europe. But for Europe we’re always in this position each year regardless. We can’t afford to have Champions league quality players in every position plus a backup. These players don’t wanna come to us to play back up. Can see us selling both ajer and ntcham this year. Hopefully we keep eddy for 1 more year but I’ll never be confident on that til the windows closed haha. We definitely need a few players in, but this year should be first team quality if we lose first team players. Not prospects to mix into the team in 2 years

8. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    If we get no signing there, you reckon Lenny might try Forrest out left to fit frimpong in on the right. Cant see frimpong being able to play on the left at all. Forrest has done it before; although it reduces his game slightly. Think elhamed is too attack minded to play as a CB against top opposition tho. Really liked him at RB. And he’d easily play well at RCB in a 3 in the league

9. Foley1888

I think against better opposition in Europe we may be more likely to play a back 4 than a 3 and revert to more of the 4-2-3-1 with Elhamed as a right back like we did in the Europa Groups. If Lenny is as keen as he seems to be on getting Moi back then I wouldn't be surprised if we changed between the two formations regularly.

I was watching a clip of the young Polish guy Michal Karbownik we were linked with, he looks like the type of LB/LWB we could be doing with for a 3-5-2, all be it he is inexperienced but he looked like a reasonably good defender, had plenty of energy and pace, was good on the ball and had the ability to drive past people. Not saying we will get him but someone in that mould would be ideal. All be it that was from a Youtube video and watching videos of Hickey you could say where not as good he looked to have most of those qualities.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  10. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    If Lenny thinks he’s getting both those guys in you reckon we might just get them both in on loans again? Or at least moi on a loan again.
    Yeah he looks a player that boy; played quite a bit this last year too. But he’s really highly rated and already had his agent basically say he will go to a “better” team than us. Weird kind of player we are able to get now. Can’t of done too great in whatever league they’re in because then teams in better leagues/positions than us come in (weissman, karbownik, sporar). We have to get them when they’ve just done okay haha

11. Ryanmcg84

I can't see either Forrest or Frimpong working as a lwb. Neither look to be strong enough on their left foot. Forrest playing LW in a 433 with an overlapping fullback is completely different to him being out there himself.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  12. Foley1888

I think at least one of them would need to be a loan. I would still be very pleasantly surprised if both are here next season.

Both deals have complications Moi would be the fee and a bit of wages. Plus if Real Sociedad are wanting him, they may qualify for CL and go straight in which would make them an attractive option. FF is the well documented wage situation. FF would be the priority for me.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  13. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    And both could be alternated during games, would be a nice curve ball.
    Also, like the idea of Elham as a center half, again would have the flexibility to change to a full back during games.
    Also, regarding formation set up, I do like the 3 5 with 2 up top for SPL games but we may have to go 4 5 1 say in European away games.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Frimpong has played on the left as a youth but is untested at senior level, so not sure how you can say he isn't strong enough? Could be worth a try.

15. Ryanmcg84

He's not naturally left footed. So would be constantly cutting inside. If ur playing 352 and only have 1 player wide they need to be a natural on that side. Like Forrest I think he could play as a lw as he would then have a natural left footed full back overlapping him to create the width. It's just an opinion but for me if your playing 352 your wide players need to be playing on their natural side.

The_Bhoy and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He will prove very difficult to contain on either wing, he can go outside or inside...

I would like to see it tried, we do need to sign a LWB to play however, but he could definitely be an option.. maybe something like this..

Forster
    Elhamed Jullien Ajer
    Forrest Christie McGregor Frimpong
    Rogic
    Griffiths Edouard

JML67 likes this.
  17. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The irony of Naka Fan liking the post about playing players on their natural side

Jeremie Frimpong and JC Anton like this.
  18. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    No brown?

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Just an option, Broonie will obviously play most games just like Frimpong and Rogic won’t start all the time.

Lenny hasn’t tried Christie and McGregor as the midfield two, for me this is the future if our midfield we were scintillating when our leader was out under Rodgers.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  20. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

That team would terrorise every defence in the league.

I'm intrigued to see whether the 3-5-2 will be our main setup for most games. I think at home we should be playing with 2 up top, even if it's Forrest or MJ/Moi playing off the striker.
    We score plenty from elsewhere so even if Eddie/Griff aren't fit and scoring we're fine.
    Feel the extra pressure on opposition centre halves frees up space that Christie, McGregor and Rogic love to exploit though.

Brown will need rotated more as the season plays out. We need to get used to playing/winning without him on the pitch.

JC Anton likes this.