1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TalkCeltic - The Ultimate Celtic FC Forum

TalkCeltic is an unofficial Celtic FC website and forum. A place to discuss all things Celtic Football Club related with other like-minded supporters.

Celtic open goal account
By Dubsbhoy

Celtics toughest pre-season opponents Sporting Lisbon took the smile off 35,000 Celtic fans after only 20 minutes with a 25 yard deflected shot that beat David Marshall. Up to that point Celtic looked sluggish and out of sorts. But nearly 15 minutes later Aidan McGeady popped up at the back post to score the equalizer and Celtics first goal in 3 games. The McGeady goal got the crowd going and in turn they got the team going as Celtic start holding onto the ball and playing the game out of their half. The step up in gear paid off over 10 minutes later when John Hartson was put through one and one with the Lisbon keeper his first shot was saved but he put the rebound in to put the Celts up 2-1 just before half time.

The second half seeing a few chances both ends as both managers tinkered with their teams and formations. One thing that stood out was the running from the wing backs, Mo Camara and surprisingly Craig Beattie got...
Celtic agree £1.5m fee for Virgo

Celtic have agreed a £1.5m fee with Brighton for the English Championship outfit's defender, Adam Virgo.

The 22-year-old will travel to Celtic Park for talks about personal terms and a possible medical on Wednesday.

Brighton manager Mark McGhee believes that Virgo has the ability to make a similar impact to Chris Sutton.

"He is a great athlete, has a fantastic attitude and can play in the heart of defence, right back, midfield or up front," said the former Celtic striker.

"But I think his best position is in defence and that is where he will make his name with Celtic.

"When I arrived at the club, he was on loan at Exeter, but I quickly realised his abilities and he has been in my team since then. I've supported Brighton all my life, but sometimes you just can't say no to an opportunity such as this

"He has the ability to succeed at Celtic and the fact that they have offered £1.5m for him shows the faith they...
Keeper Boruc joins Celtic on loan

Goalkeeper Artur Boruc has joined Celtic on a year-long loan deal from Polish outfit Legia Warsaw after he passed a medical on Wednesday.
A fee had been agreed between the clubs and Celtic have the option of paying more to extend the 25-year-old's stay.

Boruc hopes that joining Celtic will help him take over the Poland jersey from Liverpool's Jerzy Dudek.

"I want to be number one with Celtic and with Poland and win myself a longer contract here," he told BBC Sport.

"If I play over here then Jerzy Dudek will have a little problem over in Liverpool."

Boruc, who will contest the number one jersey at Celtic with Scotland international David Marshall, was also delighted to be given the chance to play in front of regular 60,000-strong crowds.

The Pole had promised not to "ask for a lot of money" in negotiations as he was simply honoured to be joining a club like Celtic.

"This is a big club and a great club and...
UEFA Champions League 2nd Qualifying Round,
Kairat Almaty (KAZ) or Artmedia (SVK) v Celtic

Gordon Strachan's Celtic face a difficult trip to either Kasakhstan or Slovakia in the Champions League second qualifying round after the club was drawn against the winner of the Kairat Almaty v Artmedia Bratislava first round tie.

The prospect of an eight-hour flight to Kasakhstan - albeit against a side with the lowest coefficient in the draw - will be particularly unappealing to the new Hoops boss, who would doubtless have been hoping for a tie closer to home against the likes of Glentoran, Shelbourne or Total Network Solutions, who have instead been paired with Liverpool.

Instead, Strachan and his players face a journey into the unknown before returning to Celtic Park for the second leg - hopefully to finish a job that nonetheless looks likely to be anything but routine.

The ties will be played on July 26/27 and August 2/3....
Camara signs two-year Celtic deal

Mohammed Camara has signed for Celtic after agreeing a two-year deal.
The former Burnley left-back, a Guinea international, became new boss Gordon Strachan's first signing for Celtic after undergoing a medical on Tuesday.

The 29-year-old, who joined Burnley from Wolverhampton Wanderers, rejected a new two-year deal at Turf Moor.

He had a chance to remain in English football with Ipswich Town, but they fell out of the running after failing to win promotion to the Premiership.

Camara's arrival in Glasgow coincided with that of Poland striker Maciej Zurawski, who is hoping to seal a £2.2m move from Wisla Krakow.

Free agent Camara, who turns 30 on Saturday, had been lined up by previous Celtic manager Martin O'Neill, who stood down last month to spend more time with seriously ill wife Geraldine.

---------------------------------

From BBC Sport