1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TalkCeltic - The Ultimate Celtic FC Forum

TalkCeltic is an unofficial Celtic FC website and forum. A place to discuss all things Celtic Football Club related with other like-minded supporters.

Celtic romped to victory at Celtic Park today with a 5-1 win over St.Mirren.

Goals from Aiden McGeady, Kenny Miller and a hat trick from Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink were enough to record the hoops most convincing win for several weeks.

Celtic made a tremendous start to the match, creating several good chances, with Craig Beattie missing 3 opportunities in the first 10 minutes alone.

But the breakthrough came in the 16th minute with Vennegoor of Hesselink heading in at the near post from a Nakamura corner. After taking the lead the hoops seemed to go down a gear and as the half wore on, St.Mirren seemed to grow in confidence without ever seriously threatening Boruc in the Celtic goal.

With the midfield missing Neil Lennon once again through suspension, the pairing of Jarosik and Gravesen were drifting around allowing the Saints to get a foothold in that area.

And Celtic were made to rue the succession of missed chances when St. Mirren equalised straight...
Celtic came from a goal down to beat Hearts at Tynecastle today with goals from Vennegoor of Hesselink and Jarosik.

The hoops were captained by Steven Pressley on his return to the ground where he spent 8 years, and he responded with a man of the match display.

In a scrappy first half, Hearts took the lead thanks to a lucky strike from Mikoluinas, and almost doubled their advantage when Telfer had to make an incredible goal line clearance from a Bednar header.

In the second half Hearts tired and Gordon Strachan made a switch, bringing on Craig Beattie for Zurawski. The change seemed to give the team a shot of adrenaline with Beattie's direct running causing the Hearts defence all kinds of trouble.

Vennegoor of Hesselink had a shot saved on the line by Gordon, but the hoops were not to be denied and after another run down the right hand side by Beattie, his shot was parried and Hesselink hooked the ball into the net from close range in the 59th minute...
The Hoops eased into the 4th round of the Scottish Cup at Celtic Park today with a routine 4-0 win over Third Division Dumbarton.

Gordon Strachan gave the lower league opponents the proper respect and didn't take the opportunity to play fringe players, with his team at almost full strength.

Goals from Zurawski (2), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and Derek Riordan made it a comfortable afternoon for Celtic.

But it was Dumbarton who had the first chance of the game, with McQuilken shooting into the side netting after some slack Celtic defending.

That early scare spurred on the champions, and within 10 minutes the tie was as good as over. Zurawski latched onto a Nakamura throughball and lobbed the ball over the onrushing Grindlay, then just 5 minutes after that he again took a Nakamura cross down, swivelled and blasted the ball into the net.

Numerous chances were squandered in the first half, until Vennegoor of Hesselink tapped the ball in from close range after...
Celtic stretched their lead at the top of the SPL to 17 points with a 2-0 win over Kilmarnock at Celtic Park today.

Goals from Darren O'Dea and Aiden McGeady were enough to see off a well organised Killie side.

Steven Pressley made his debut for the hoops alongside O'Dea, with McManus finally succumbing to a long standing groin strain. Riordan kept his place after his goal at Fir Park, with Beattie in for Miller and Jarosik replacing Gravesen.

The first half was fairly low key, with few chances created by either side. Kilmarnock's best chance came from a counter attack, with a 4 to 2 advantage, but Dodds dragged his shot wide of Boruc's far post.

The scare seemed to wake the home fans up, and Celtic broke the deadlock in the 39th minute, with O'Dea hooking the ball into the net from close range following a Nakamura free kick.

The second half was much more lively, with both teams creating chances, with Killie hitting the crossbar following a free...
pressleylaughs70b361tc5.jpg
Celtic have signed Scotland international defender Steven Pressley on an 18 month deal

Despite having talks and a medical with Charlton, Pressley has decided to join the SPL champions.

His arrival has come at a good time for Gordon Strachan after Bobo Balde's broken leg left him with young Darren O'Dea as his only fully fit centre half.

A clearly delighted Pressley was presented to the media at Celtic Park today.

“I’m absolutely thrilled and honoured to be joining Celtic. It’s obviously taken some time but it’s a fantastic opportunity for me at this age and I’m certainly looking forward to the challenges ahead.

“Obviously talking to Gordon played a part in me coming to Celtic, I’ve been very impressed with what he’s had to say and I’d like to think I’ve got a good relationship with him.

“Celtic as a club sells itself. I’ve obviously played here over a number of years in opposing teams and it’s a fantastic arena to play your...