1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinion on officials.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jax Teller, Feb 3, 2019.

Discuss Your opinion on officials. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Or stop Rangers fans getting our and their games maybe??

I accept your point about provincial fans point of view.....however i'm talking specifically about us and them!!!

2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    From their point of view, we probably do. Big clubs tend to get more decisions due to the way things like advertising and flak work. We do sometimes benefit from that domestically and it isn't fair; but it's a totally separate issue.

jocksteinupper likes this.
  3. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We've beat them every time we've played them in recent memory excluding the latest one. I'm not saying it's alright for referees to be biased, it's not, but it hasn't prevented us hammering them so I don't focus too much on it.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Bang on Prof..

It would be foolish to believe that every single official is/was a cheat. It's no secret that Scottish official'sare brutal, but you can be a poor official and a cheat at the same time..

There is far too many of a Hun persuasion and with clear Hun backgrounds of some sorts..

5. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    We've not just beat them but hammered them in a lot of these games!!! See, here's the nub for me.....it's when it's tight and maybe they've got a sniff that it becomes more alarming...and it's actually getting worse imo! . Yeah, call me guilty of ignoring it when we're walking it year after year. Guilty as charged!! By the way, heard plenty fans calling it out then too but it's paranoid Celtic even moaning even when they're winning......pundits putting guys down saying they can't even enjoy it when their team are winning!! That's not an answer and doesn't mean it wasn't happening then either!!

Let's just hope you don't have to focus on it too much in the near future!!

ps- by the way i really do wish i thought like you and it is just sheer ineptitide!! However, my eyes tell me differently and i'd be lying to myself if i told you i didn't think there was an agenda against us from certain quarters!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    cfc_kenny likes this.
  6. Tony.

Fav Celtic Player:
    George Connelly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA.
    The Boss tawks......

BRENDAN Rodgers has sensationally called for English referees to be introduced to Scottish football.

The Celtic manager insists there are too few top officials working in the Premiership and that their part-time status puts them at disadvantage in such an unforgiving and professional environment. Officials in England, working in the Premier League, are full-time.

Foreign officials were brought into the league in late 2010 when Scottish referees went on strike in the wake of severe criticism and this season has seen referees been accused, among other things, of holding bias against certain clubs. The SFA’s disciplinary process has also been roundly criticised.
    Rodgers had kept away from the issue but his comments are bound to stun SFA bosses.

The Celtic manager said: “There is a wider issue around refereeing. Do you have enough up here? Is there a big enough pool of refs or does the net need to be spread wider?

"There is a real focus on the game here in Scotland, so do you need to branch that out? Should it be opened up to give more opportunities for refs to come into here - not just Scottish ones.

“And I’m not just saying for high profile games. This is a fanatical football country but there’s a really small pool of referees. If something happens or they need help, there’s no way to do it. You can’t demote as there’s no one there to do it.

“There’s a constant pressure on them. It’s definitely something for me that has to be looked at; open it up.
    “You want to attract more referees, why close it to just here? Open it up and have the best referees that could maybe come from England or Wales, or wherever. Then you have a diverse group of referees.

"Okay, they might need help with expenses or whatever, if they are coming up from Swansea, but it just opens up the pool.

“That will also help the local refs. It’s about constant education but it doesn’t shine the torch on the same referees all of the time.”
    Asked if referees from the rest of the UK or overseas should be brought in just for the bigger matches, such as Old Firm games, Rodgers said: “It’s about where the needs are. There’s probably no need in England, the country is bigger and they have full time referees. There is a clear pathway for them.

“It just seems here the pool is shallow. Up here they are a big younger, they are not full time, so how can we help them?"

Celtic left-back Emilio Izaguirre is a doubt for Sunday’s Scottish Cup tie with St Johnstone having been the victim of bad challenge by Hibernian’s Darnell Johnson who faces a two-match ban but received a yellow card by Craig Thompson.

And the inconsistency of the disciplinary process this season in terns of retrospective bans has been an issue for Rodgers and his contemporaries.

Rodgers said: “Does player safety remain a concern? Yes. I said in my first year here that some of the sanctions here surprise me - it's a wee bit bitty

“I don't tend to go after the referees in these situations as it's simple for me. The poor guys refereeing the games are amateurs. with all due respect. The spotlight is on them severely from a professional side.

"They are going to make mistakes and then the aftermath seems a bit complicated,that will continue to be.”

Lilac Wine and Keano88 like this.
  7. Keano88

I know mate, that’s my point. Any refereeing mistakes are highlighted on social media nowadays whereas back then it would have been a lot easier to pull an honest mistake and for it to be swept under the carpet and forgotten about the next weekend without coming under much scrutiny.

By media I was more meaning guys like Michael Stewart on Sportscene and Sutton and Hartson on BT who call out any cheating and poor officiating on a weekly basis. I don’t know if we had these sort of characters back then but they’re definitely a breathe of fresh air with their honest assessments.

Seán Mac D, Tim-Time 1888 and Tony. like this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

If you’re a Hun with a whistle you’re biased, consciously or unconsciously.. that’s just a fact.

9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    They are under a lot of scrutiny for mistakes and I feel a bit for guys like Collum and Thompson... they're just terrible referees who need to be retrained TBH. Every time I see Collum, I feel I want to give him a big hug, he looks so forlorn.
    Regarding bias (and here I'm referring to guys like Madden and Beaton- possibly more, but they're the ones I feel pretty certain about), I don't think the situation has changed very much. There's been a lot of dancing around the issue, with guys like Clarke hinting at it*, but so far no one is sticking their head above the parapet.

I think BT have been great. That peculiar pantomime they have is weird but entertaining. However from Sutton et al it has just been hints and innuendo. So far no one has been willing to risk their career to say explicitly what they're really thinking. Tom Boyd says it, but on Celtic TV who is listening to him except us?

* I'm sure that was why Gerrard reacted so angrily to what was ostensibly quite an innocent remark. He knew exactly what Clarke was getting at.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  10. Keano88

Every time I see him I want to chib him.

Lilac Wine and jake10 like this.
  11. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    If folk still don’t beleive there is bias towards the huns even after all thats happened,(beaton in hun pub after game, several well known season ticket holders as refs, anti catholic emails from dallas,dallas jnr fast tracked and giving 6 penalties in 2 games, after dinner speakers boasting of cheating Celtic, refs blowing the whistle in the papers about being told to cheat Celtic, rescinded cards, compliance officer being a joke process etc etc etc) then there is no hope.

12. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    It takes time.

Many of the people on here are young. Give them time and wisdom will kick in.

13. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Just seen my favourite ref has the killie v celtic game. Mr Bobby Madden :38:

14. Markybhoy

Some of them are just incompetent. Some of them are blatantly cheating Hun sympathisers.

I'll leave people to make their own decisions about which are which.