1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Are We Struggling to Score?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Apr 5, 2018.

Discuss Why Are We Struggling to Score? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Everything is played in front of the opposition as well. Gives them plenty of time to settle. We rarely see a ball played down the line behind the full back for example.

2. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Need to get back to pressing teams like we were last season.
    I don't know if it is brendan changing his tactics or lack of effort from the players but we are certainly no working anywhere near as hard.

freitassen and Icicle like this.
  3. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Very few teams open up and actually try to play against us. Most of them park the bus for 90% of the game and set out to stop us rather than go for it themselves. Add to that poor decisions and greed by individuals who think or want to be the big I am. Some don't even look up before they kick/pass the ball. There's been a lot of tinkering with the team this season because of injuries as well. That all said we should still win the treble.

Liam Scales likes this.
  4. Aidan O’Shea

It’s no surprise we consistently score quite a few/create a lot of chances against the Huns when they’re one of the few teams that open up against us.

5. Eazey

Maybe its the haze of memory but under O'neil and Strachan, every time we got a corner it was like 50/50, we were scoring.
    when we get a corner nowadays i want them to just play it short. * pointless swinging it in. Wouldnt have griff anywhere near them.

Lecs likes this.
  6. Murph-E

Remember that rubbish "it'll be good when we lose, we can play with freedom again!" line during our unbeaten run? Always strongly, strongly disagreed with that. It gave us urgency and a will to fight domestically I haven't seen since it ended.

7. Icicle

Not having a reliable striker all season doesn't help

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    You know I think it pretty much comes down to this - a lack of desire.

When somethings on the line for us it comes back - 10 men against the Huns, cup games etc.

9. Murph-E

100%. They're talented and generally very likeable players in our squad just now, but in a lot of domestic games lately we've lacked urgency and desire because we're so comfortable. I know it sounds odd to suggest switching up a team who are about to seal back-to-back trebles, but I wouldn't be against a big shake up in the summer to freshen things up.

Liam Scales likes this.
  10. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    I would love to see
    I would love to compare the running stats from last year. It feels like I'm watching a completely different team.

TheHappyLoss and Bertie Cauld like this.
  11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This is a really good call! Where can we see them?

Rendog likes this.
  12. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    Nobody charging into the 6 yard bow for a cross. The number of times the ball just goes right across with no one there is shocking.....

13. Cupid Stunt

I honestly believe Brendan Rodgers is having to overcome a huge learning curve at Celtic and that's one of the main reasons our domestic form and goal scoring record has not been as good this season. When Rodgers came to the club he made it very clear he liked a small, compact squad of about 21 players, which would include several youth players. I think when he said this he seriously underestimated the sheer amount of games we have to play each calendar year and whilst it worked last season, keeping a core squad of players playing regularly, this season the key performers from last year are looking completely burnt out. On top of that, I think he's struggled to manage having three quality strikers to keep happy. He has been forced throughout the season to rotate the strikers because of injury and suchlike, but I've also felt he's unnecessarily chopped and changed them when things have been working i.e. Dembele and Edouard vs Hearts. He seems like he's trying too hard to keep them all happy and that has been to the detriment of our goal scoring record as nobody has been able to find a proper rhythm.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Great point.

Sydneysider likes this.
  15. Maestro 08

100% down to slackness/sloppiness even laziness brought about by things being too easy. Most players need a rocket up their * from Rodgers. Moussa and Sinclair in particular have been incredibly wasteful but just about every player going forward has been guilty of letting their standards drop (forrest aside). All for Brendan taking the heat off them with the tiredness talk but he really needs to be demanding more behind the scenes. From a lot of what we're watching complacency is 100% creeping in across the board maybe even, dare I say it, behind the scenes as well.

16. Lecs

Just sign Kris Boydchenkov. Fatty will sort it out.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  17. TheHappyLoss

Some great points in here, we've made excuse after excuse. The unbeaten run is making us cautious, players are tired it'll be better after the winter break, lots of injuries it'll get better when everyone is back. It hasn't, we will achieve success because our players are way better than the rest of Scotland but it certainly looks as though most players aren't giving their all. Thats the one thing I can't accept players not giving their all, we'd give our right * to play for Celtic and pay hundreds a year to watch them, full effort should be a given.

Icicle and freitassen like this.
  18. freitassen

- Our tactics are bad and negative
    - We lost some of our most creative and threatening players for injury for a long period.
    - We intentionally do not play our most creative and offensive midfielders because the focus is in possession
    - The set pieces offer no danger even though a team facing ultra defensive opponents 9 out of 10 times should focus on that
    - Teams have learned to play against us
    - Despite all of this the squad is still much superior than the rest of the league which creeps in complacency in our players, coaching staff and the board

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  19. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    We pass in safe patterns, some examples of this, instead of switching the ball we will play round the back four to switch it, this takes longer, but is low risk and by the time the ball is switched the oppositions have regrouped. Also our wide men come in to receive instead of looking for balls down the channels or over the top, and in most cases receive the ball from a FB, then pass it back and repeat the long winded side to side switch cycle to try the other side.

freitassen likes this.
  20. Sydneysider

No-one wants to take the defenders on, or shoot from distance. Its all stats now, completed passes etc.

Midfielders don't have a poke, they would rather turn and look for a safe pass.

freitassen likes this.