1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

This team...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TIART, Feb 23, 2018.

Discuss This team... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This is a very young team with massive potential.

We have a gifted young core in Ajer, Simunovic, Tierney, Hendry, N’tcham, McGregor, Rogic,

We have players coming in to their prime age in Shooders, Griff, Sinclair

We have 3 players with outstanding potential that we have on loan in Roberts, Musonda and Edouard, who we NEED to retain or replace with similar quality but with greater experience.

We have two quality players in Brown and Gordon who we must find replacements for going over ahead 2 years.

This group have just really began with Rodgers, it’s a process we need to see through and it takes time.
    We have had 12 Champions league games against MAJOR quality and world class players.
    We’ve took some poundings but we’ve also shown excellent examples of how we can compete - we are inconsistent but we have justification because we have such a new inexperienced group of players.

Think about the positive results over those 12 games - Man City draws, beating Anderlecht away, dominating Zenit at home. Think about the positive moments in the games we didn’t take anything from, scoring against PSG & giving Bayern a seriously tough time.

Now think about this group growing and learning, becoming more experienced each year. It’s a long process but it’s required.

If we can hold this core together, in 2-3 years we could be looking at European results becoming more consistent. Even if the results aren’t there next season or the next - through that period we should be seeing the margin narrowing, those in game moments becoming more consistent.

Realistically, with all that given, I think in 3 years we’ll be seeing a team in Europe that will be spoken about for years after.

9 in a row will be a special season. 10 though, if Rodgers stays with this core of players, what a party that will be!

2. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Think you just gave @Blochairnbhoy a heart attack

3. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Don’t know why you would say that just read the post from @TIART and I think it is the most respectful, well thought and positive post I have seen here in the last 24 hours and I wholeheartedly agree with everything he said I have said after a few games about the young age of some of the players

4. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Fair enough

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Fantastic post mate you have clearly applied rational thinking unlike most (myself included) agree with everything you said like Lennys team took them 2 years of euro football 2010-2012 before they gelled and got the jist of European football, players who where of similar ages maybe slightly older but totally agree with everything you said HH

TIART likes this.
  6. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’m just trying to be realistic with what we can achieve with our financial constraints compared to what the rest of European teams have at their disposal.

I think we’re lucky to have a superb manager who may just see 10iar as a target.

I’m also realistic to know winning the CL is beyond us (obviously). Knock out stages, perhaps.
    A Europa final again, I think it’s very much possible.

We can’t just drop it in a season or two with a new manager though, it would need a Rodgers here for 5-6 season AND the ability to retain a solid core of players.

Unless DD gets ladelled one night and decides to * a few hundred million

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  7. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Appreciate it m8. I’d like to think all our fans could be on the same wavelength and appreciate the challenge we have.
    I myself have my moments where I lose my * but when the dust settles....

8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yeah am the same more frustration than anything else then you type it and it comes across the wrong way as if you where having a conversation with your mates at the game or in the pub it would be different cause your tone can come across differently, when you know the level of the squad and what they are capable of then it’s more annoyance than anything else!

TIART likes this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Good post, if not slightly hyperbolic at times.

I don't think we're a million miles away from a solid team but it is frustrating that we haven't strengthened sufficiently in defence.

The problem with waiting 2/3 years in the hope a team of real European pedigree comes to fruition is that if we're successful and progress then the core of the side will move on.

Jeremie Frimpong and TIART like this.
  10. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Good post, I would also add Moussa to that as well because he was outstanding last season and the Thumb has also been * this season.

The young boy from PSG is far too raw and I see Roberts going back to city and a premiership team will come and pay over the odds for him.

Musonda is very raw as well for me has some flashes and has made more of an impact coming off the bench than starting and I hope it' just because he is settling in.

Hendry for me is our 5th choice centre half and I really don't see why we signed him, again I hope he proves me wrong but he is down the pecking order for me.

Gordon was finish last season for me and this should have been his last and replaced for the coming season but I've got a feeling that Rodgers is willing to make him his number 1 for years to come? Don't know why.

I don't know what we are going to do when Brown packs it in, it will be like when Gerrard left Liverpool they have never had another leader at the club like him.

If we recruit right this summer and get in a new Keeper, quality centre half back up for KT, a quality right back, experienced number 10 because Rogic and co can't do it in Europe, another winger to replace Roberts and a forward if Moussa is sold.

I really don't see all that happening if I'm honest, and we will wait and see again and get all the excuses.

We miss out on champions league football the Ntchams and other talented players will leave.

I know we are all hurting and some of the stuff posted is over the top but I do have a fear that we have dropped the ball big time and we need to get it right in the summer or we will * our chances for champions league football and even the 10.

Remember when they were going for the 10 and never would have though we would stop them it can happen to us.

This summer will show if the board has any sort of ambition with all that money in the bank.

11. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I think we get really * off after results like last night because we ARE 100% capable of playing alot better,thats what gets me riled up most. i think a lot of us just come on here to let of steam haha its more frustration than anything else :shamrock::shamrock:.

12. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    yes they're a young team with massive potential to grow ..what buys time is winning domestically but i still think we need a couple of heads to compliment them especially for europe.

13. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Griffiths in August and September was his best form of the season he was excellent!

He then got a niggle again in October and Moussa came back and did well end October and early November. Griffiths then came back and was very good in December when he played. Came on against thistle and hibs in January and looked a threat then got injured again so that’s a bit unfair on Griffiths imo

14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Actually offended Moussa wasn’t included in the young core on a day I’ve been defending him.

Only kidding, good post. Better than finger pointing and negativity.

If we win the treble again these youngsters go down in history, again, along with their undefeated season.

The panic merchants will be shooshed.

15. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    you gotta remember players are not machines we have been inconsistent this season both at home and in europe in perfomances and results ..whereas last season we were relentless.

16. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Euro progression.

Qualify for CL
    Qualify for CL, Europe post Christmas
    Qualify for CL, CL knockouts or Europa 16.
    Etc..

Break each of those down further with performances, results and outcomes. Also, consider opponent quality and our first team injuries.

Do we improve our ability to qualify for CL each year?

Do we improve CL group results?

Do we improve CL group performances?

Do we improve CL group position?

However you answer those questions at this point. (Two seasons) My view is that I don’t feel we’ve been best placed to give this Euro campaign our best effort.

Quality of opposition and injuries have been at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Where our club are at in the grand scheme, we needed a kinder ‘environment’ to develop on last year

17. Eazey

domestically last year was a freak. even when we had off games we were miles better. Injuries have dampered this season.
    europe is entirely different, we have definitely been better this season. Actually a right back and goalkeeper away from a great campaign.
    2nd season syndrome. Hopefully we manage the treble and go into next season stronger again.

18. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    He is nothing like last season both forwards have been disappointing really.

Both have been injured maybe it's that I don't know.

I rate them both and wish they were firing on all cylinders.

19. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    When the OP describes Edouard as "outstanding" and Simunovic as "gifted" , you know it's a glass half full type of post.

20. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    We will move through the gears now and pull away but defence needs commanding centre half in summer and experienced midfielder