1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ThatBhoyLarsson

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings, At the moment Scott Brown, Lustig or Matthews.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of athenry, YNWA,
    Go * yourself! you guys go on like yous play fantastic ball its as * as ours and you guys won't go anywhere in the euros same as ourselves if we get there.... Stealing Northern Irish players, please explain this point ye * spastic....

2. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Yeah..you don't want to go there matey...Smells a bit hun to be honest..Scottish players..ok...Northern Irish players..hmm?

3. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Hey * you man we also steal English players, just because they took one from us more recently doesn’t mean all our hard work there is to be discredited.

Keano88, Darnok and Aidan O’Shea like this.
  4. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    What's the 55 in the byline for matey?

5. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

It’s coming

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  6. ddub11

You any idea why hayes cant get a look in?would love to see him play and i think he would fit in perfectly .

7. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I very much doubt you have any Irish friends ya pathetic trolling Brit *.

Doogs., eire4 and Sean Daleer like this.
  8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Wish I could agree. But I could see that draw coming all day long. We simply have nothing to offer up top. I mean come on we scored 7 goals in 8 games in the qualifiers our strikers combined for 1 goal in those 8 games. Then you add in the fact that we have close to no creativity in midfield and you just struggle to see where Ireland currently can beat any good sides and Denmark are just that a good side.

9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    To be fair to Mick McCarthy I thought we played about as well as we could against a genuinely good side on Monday night. We just simply do not have the attacking quality either up front or in midfield to really trouble anybody good right now. But Monday night I felt that we actually tried to play and gave it as good a shot as we could. We just don't have the ability to really get after a good side. McGoldrick played well and worked his socks off held the ball up well but he is not and never will be a goalscorer. Then in midfield Hourihane again works hard for the team but like Hendrick lacks real quality going forward.

Having said all that the playoff picture looks interesting. Away to Slovakia in the semi-final. Will be tough to win away but at least it is a game we have a chance in with our stingy defense the one strength we do have. Then the final would be against the winner of Bosnia and the 6 counties with who would get home advantage to be part of the upcoming Euro's draw.

Xatraps likes this.
  10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just seen John McGinn scored the same number of goals in qualifying as Ireland did.

Brutal.

Luis1967 likes this.
  11. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

and yet we’ve only lost one game. Solid enough squad just lacking a good striker.

Xatraps, Valhalla and StPauli1916 like this.
  12. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Yeah I meant more in terms of the playoffs. I just feel there is a tendency on here ( not just with Ireland) to only look at half of the story. It's the same when Celtic aren't doing brilliantly. It's alright to look at our lack of creativity etc but unless you also have a full understanding of the teams we are playing or do some proper research then you are only looking at half the equation and lacking proper perspective.

13. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Funny. I've just seen Scotland conceded twice as many goals to Kazakhstan as Ireland did to Denmark. In fact in 8 games Ireland only conceded one more than Scotland did to Khazkhstan and Ireland finished with a GD 5 superior to Scotland's.

Gabriel likes this.
  14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fair enough. Certainly in terms of the playoffs we are playing a team in Slovakia who are at about the same mediocre level we are at as a team. They are better up front then us although that is not saying much but we are better defensively. They are home so they will start as slight favourites but I imagine it will be tight and if you told me the game would end up going to extra time and maybe even pk's that would not surprise me. Certainly we have a chance against Slovakia no question about it unlike in the last 2 qualifiers when we played against Switzerland and Denmark both of whom are clearly superior sides to us.

15. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fair enough. Certainly in terms of the playoffs we are playing a team in Slovakia who are at about the same mediocre level we are at as a team. They are better up front then us although that is not saying much but we are better defensively. They are home so they will start as slight favourites but I imagine it will be tight and if you told me the game would end up going to extra time and maybe even pk's that would not surprise me. Certainly we have a chance against Slovakia no question about it unlike in the last 2 qualifiers when we played against Switzerland and Denmark both of whom are clearly superior sides to us.

16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    On an aside. I posted in another topic can't remember for sure where but Rudi Vata's kid who is in Celtic's academy was making his international debut playing for our U15's against Poland in Galway and it turns out Rocco Vata opened the scoring in a 2-1 Ireland win.

17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    So how come Vata can play for ROI?

18. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Irish granny on his mothers side

19. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Away in both matches

[​IMG]

20. Keano88

Semi Final looks tougher than the potential final, on paper.

If you can beat Slovakia away then I think you’ll make it.