1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

I agree with you to an extent. However, Lennon took on this job knowing fine well what he let himself in for. He left due to the same individual first time round. What was going to be different this time round? Although I blame the board for our failings mainly, I have no sympathy for Lennon whatsoever. He is the luckiest manager in world football to be managing a club our size. He left because he wasn't getting backed, didn't do anything of note at Bolton or Hibs, eventually left but mutual consent at the latter and then all of a sudden finds himself managing one of there biggest clubs in the world again. Absolute * stuff from the board. I'll back Celtic regardless of who is in charge, Lennon isn't the right man for the job at this time however, he was first time round and I was glad he got it, not now though.

2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Really?

3. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

you’d like us to be beating them but why you think we should be beating them baffles me? Most of those teams listed play in a league with a higher standard than our own, and quite a few of them play in leagues that were near through their whole season so had an upper hand on fitness and form. We go into many of those games with one hand tied behind our backs. Selling our best players every season leaving us with massive holes to fill. Any manger will struggle with that task

4. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Those results you mentioned under Rodgers tended to be freak results rather than impacting the season as a whole. I.e. not losing any domestic competition even if there were bad games; reaching the CL after freak Red Imps game. On the other hand, those * up by Lennon cost us cups and a league and could have resulted in no European football if not for an ineligible player.

No European football and/or losing the league and/or losing multiple cup games are sackable offences at Celtic and Lennon already flew close to the wind with those things. It’s just not the case to suggest that he didn’t * up at points.

That’s not to say he didn’t do good things either because he did.

I agree on Lawwell of course. He has been the common denominator in hanging all our managers out to dry in the last 10 years.

obafgkmlt likes this.
  5. murphy88

No. He didn't take this job blindfolded. This isn't his first rodeo. He got shafted first time round by the very same board that is in charge now. He took the job because he had no other option. He would never have got as big an opportunity again as a manager otherwise. His stock was as low as it had ever been since going into management, and he ended up managing Celtic, one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  6. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony

And there in lies my whole point.

_DannyBhoy_, Gabriel and JML67 like this.
  7. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    * hate all this "luckiest guy in world football" *. its neil lennon for * sake. people should show some * respect.

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Come on down Davie Moyes............................:36:

9. murphy88

Lawwell is the common denominator. Why would you take on the same job with him in charge though as Lennon did? Lennon knew what he was letting himself in for.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    So you don’t feel any sympathy whatsoever for him? He took us over at a crucial period in the season after a shocking start and guided us to a treble. I think he deserves much more support from the board to build a side to see us to the 9, but naw they can’t even * do that never mind a side good enough for Europe. As said Lennon isn’t the problem here and people really need to start seeing past that tbh.

11. Mince.Charming

They have no idea how he's being treated or why he's left out, but Lennon is being a * etc.
    Shved started games in pre season and he was too lightweight, needs to bulk up.
    Now he's being treated badly for not playing in the first couple of weeks of the season.

Everyone is in agreement that Congerton and the scouting network has left us in a shambless but seem to take that into consideration when finding reasons to have a go at Neil.
    Maybe the last of Congertons signings aren't good enough like the list of ones before.
    Maybe they just need time to settle in. Time will tell.
    Shved was signed by Lawwell
    Arzani signed by Lawwell
    Bayo signed by kolo toure by the sounds of it.
    Julien was on our radar last year.
    And I doubt Lennon started the job and knew anything about Mbombo.

12. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    I agree but that doesn’t mean that managers can’t be at fault as well.

13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I’m not saying he isn’t but he should be at least given the tools to do the job, have you watched our new signings at CB and LB by any chance?

Mince.Charming likes this.
  14. murphy88

Nothing to do with respect. I respect Lennon for what he did in his first spell in charge and as a player. He took over an abysmal Celtic team and gave us our identity back again on the European stage. Anyone who doesn't think he is lucky to be in the position he is just now though has got the blinkers on.

Twisty likes this.
  15. freitassen

Where do we start? Dunfermline at home for the league cup is the type of game where you would be playing Jack Hendry, Karamoko Dembele, the third choice keeper, and still be expected to win easily. If you cannot play academy and upcoming players in such a game, you probably never will.

Guys like Ajer and McGregor could easily play 65 games this season. It is extremely important to save them and not run unnecessary risks by playing them in this sort of * game. We saw the burnout issues with Tierney.

But no, he is so insecure about his abilities that he needs to play what is virtually the strongest team possible, bar Brown, and with Forrest coming from the bench anyway. At Dunfermline. And still the game goes to extra time.

All the rest was the same, half arsed players, stupid substitutions, team looking like they just met. It is really atrocious. It is not beyond doubt AIK could cause us problems.

I am really sad I lost completely my sympathy for him. He went from what he was to a completely out of depth incompetent, clinging to the last job he can get, arselicking the board to stay there as much as possible. I had a big fear this would happen, as it is really sad saying such thing of Lennon. And if he eventually is part of what costed us losing the title, further humiliation in Europe, etc, his status will go from legend to villain. He really didn't need that *. He certainly has some money in the bank, could become a TV pundit, whatever the *.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    obafgkmlt and Dublin Celt like this.
  16. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Shellshocked after Cluj. It can only be that.

17. Jeremie Frimpong

We are nowhere near what we could be, even with our geographic constraints; that is the reality.

If we only discuss issues that we can influence directly, on a football forum, the conversation will quickly dry up.

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I tell you what, unless the journalist that wrote it is lying, Lawwell has really got away with one here with the heat mostly going towards Lenny.

After allowing Congerton to destroy our old network, to then hang fire this spring on starting to rebuild it for a couple of vital months in order to save/earn a few million by having Leicester compensate us instead of us having to pay him off, I bet he can't believe his luck watching most of the flack go towards Lenny.

Given how long it takes to identify targets, get them and then integrate them into the squad, that for me is BY FAR AND AWAY the biggest * up of the entire summer. That's a gamble that backfired spectacularly.

Unlike Lennon, it's not his first either.

19. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Is this skewed by Rodgers managing us ? Who isn't going to be "lucky to manage us" and would want the gig?

(Forget who is our current manager for this hypothetical situation.)

stubhoy07 and Random Review like this.
  20. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    We should never be going into a Champions League qualifying campaign with a defence that is so light in strength and depth. But that is complete dejavu at the hands of Lawwell.

However, tactical naivety played a major part in the defeat against Cluj as well in my opinion.

Because a lot of folk did not think he should be manager, these type of results and performances were always going to heap pressure on him, regardless of other circumstances.