1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon Poll

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CodyBhoy, Apr 12, 2019.

Discuss Neil Lennon Poll in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. gerard1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
  2. gerard1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
  3. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I’d rather him than another idealist like Rodgers or Martinez.

Getting * in Europe whilst playing in triangles between the keeper and two centre halves is a painful experience.

Lennon will guarantee the league and make us resolute in Europe. The cups are a bonus.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  4. SuperZidane

As much as I respect Lenny's contribution in the past , I don't see how anyone rates him as tactically astute. He had a couple of great results in Europe - his 3 league titles were won with no real opposition. However he lost out in plenty of cup ties to inferior clubs in Scotland. His management technique is largely based on berating players - it was a disaster at Bolton and led to him losing the dressing room at Hibs. Despite winning three titles with us - the only job he could get was Bolton and, after leaving Hibs, clubs were hardly queuing up to hire him - that says a lot.

We are a global team with 30+ million in the bank and a top class stadium - we need a manager who can take the club forward and attract good players to the club.

Frankly, while we obviously can't afford Klopp or Pep - we can get a better manager than Lenny and we should do so.

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I hope we see Ronny back here in some capacity one day; but that making him Lenny's assistant would be incredibly unfair to John Kennedy.

6. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Dancing ones won’t either.

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry

There is a narrative building recently about Lennon that is frankly a load of *. His first title was won against Oldco, Bolton is a basket case club, his record at Hibs is actually excellent and the idea that his management technique is based on berating players is ridiculous and based on nothing more than rumours about how things ended at Hibs. His Celtic teams were willing to run through brick walls for him.

I don't see how pointing out that he took over a shambles as a rookie manager at the beginning of his tenure and that he had his team sold out from under him at the end is seen as making excuses. IMO it is 100% relevant, because he isn't inheriting a shambles and he isn't a rookie manager this time. Folk thinking "* waiting 2 years for him to build a decent team" are not thinking that through IMO. Also folk thinking that his CL success was a flash in the pan are not factoring in the way we broke that team up by selling key players out from under him. How the * would Strachan have coped and what would his record have been if we'd sold Naka and Boruc in consecutive seasons?

Then there is the little-mentioned (recently) point about his transfer record: it's not just good; it's absolutely sensational. As far as I know, no other Celtic manager in our history even comes close to his net spend (adjusted so that that managers don't get credit for the astute buys of previous managers, which Rodgers seems to get a lot).
    Imagine what he can do now that we are willing to spend 9 million on the right investment?

I do agree that his record at Hampden wasn't great, though. To get the job, he has to show that has changed and complete the treble.

Edit: my memory was playing tricks on me about the Cardigan.

StPauli1916 and Mince.Charming like this.
  8. SuperZidane

As I pointed out - he won 1 league title with Rangers in the league - they had SuperSalary as manger, went into admin and were docked points.

I never mentioned the transfer record - I wouldn't say it was sensational as there were a few duds in there. There were obviously some terrific buys but I don't honestly know how much input John Park had and neither does anyone else commenting here.

Lennon doesn't lack ego and when he chose to leave in 2014 - the West Brom and Norwich jobs were up for grabs and IMO Lennon thought he'd get one of those.

Bolton may have been a "basket case" but Lennon left them in a worse position (relegated) than he found them in - his successor (Phil Parkinson) inherited a transfer freeze (free transfers only) and a salary cap - he got them promoted at the first attempt. I was back in the UK in 2017 and I took in a Bolton game - I can tell you that their fans don't think much of Lennon.

The story about Lennon having a go at Kamberi and alienating the other players seems to be widely believed. I've never heard any other reason being put forward. BTW - Hibs were 8th when he left - the new guy has them in 5th.

I fully acknowledge that Lenny was a legend as a player and he undoubtedly loves our club. However, this a football/business decision and those facts are irrelevant.

Whatever your opinion of BR - his name/reputation was a draw for players (particularly younger ones). That is not true of Lennon.

If people genuinely think that Lennon is the guy to take the club forward - fair enough - its a game of opinions.

Taking the sentiment out of it - I simply don't. I think we are in a position (if DD is prepared to pony up) to afford a better manager than Lennon and I think we should.

9. Mince.Charming

You said you respect him then go on to show nothing but disrespect.

I would say one of the reasons he was never offered a better job when he left was because of the way the media portray him up here, and it seems to have had an effect on the way you view him also.

Bolton was a shambles and a quick Google you'll find interviews about what was going on at his time there.

Players like Ledley, Kelvin Wilson and Mulgrew etc say he's the best Manager they have worked with.
    Stokes said even if you fall out with him the next day it's forgot about.
    The players here seem to get on and respect him too, Especially the scottish boys. Brown loves him.

You might not want him as the Manager of the buisness you support, but don't talk * about a man that has been through more than any of us could imagine just to be able to stay and work on this country.

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The revisionism of Lenny's record in Europe is unreal. Like some of us have said, and been shot down for, all people are thinking of is that one season (2012/13) in Europe. What about the complete failure to get into even the EL group stage twice (albeit Sion got done in one of those, luckily for us)? Or his last season when we finished bottom of our CL group and got pumped off Barca 6-1, and AC Milan 3-0 at Celtic Park - I thought those results didn't happen under Lenny?

I get that some people would like Lenny to get the job, but let's not completely overlook 3 of his 4 European campaigns just to make him look better.

Ghotti Bhoy, Valhalla and The IRA like this.
  11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I hope we win the treble and then that will be that.

Random Review and Mince.Charming like this.
  12. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

All of which are irrelevant in the scheme of him getting the job.

We've all supported him and are thankful for what he's done and put up with, but we'd be taking a huge step back and might as well just admit that we have no ambition as a club.

I hope he wins the treble and goes out on a high.

Twisty, Slaw and The IRA like this.
  13. ThisIsGhod

No. His loyalty is unquestionable and he is a legend at this club and had some great memories, But his football style is boring and right now we need to have more ambition at this club and I would like a manager who's proven in Europe.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  14. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    That's all well and good if you want to ignore that their is a learning curve. A man with no experience in management should never have been given the job at a team like Celtic especially when he was taking charge of a shambles. Learning the ropes dealing with death threats should surely give him some leeway for the first 2 years.
    His 4th year was poor although in the great Brendan Rodgers can't guarantee group stages every year. His record points total the previous season which raised expectation and the failure to strengthen instead looking to profit go some way to mitigating a less then successful group stage campaign.

FrankMcCallum and Random Review like this.
  15. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Probably the most ridiculous post yet.

It's a poll about him getting the job, it has * all to do with death threats.

clonbhoy, Bob Loblaw, Twisty and 3 others like this.
  16. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Struggling to vote on this. Just don't know

JC Anton likes this.
  17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

There’s too many balls in the air just now. It could swing by end of play tomorrow, that’s how precarious it is for Lenny and the Club just now.

JC Anton and StPauli1916 like this.
  18. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Love him, but no for me. The best caretaker we could hope for, but a big downgrade on Rodgers. A downgrade with no attempt from the club to even attempt to build and progress.

We got a huge compo pay out for Rodgers, who, for example, was reportedly on a million a year more than what Rafa gets at Newcastle. Go out and get a quality manager!

Edit - Think Rodgers was +5m over his first contract, so that probably isn't more than Rafa. Same point though, we clearly still run a good business with that kind of managers wage. Do it again.

ThisIsGhod and The IRA like this.
  19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Ah, leeway for the first 2 years. How convenient. What is it with the constant excuses?

He signed around 25 players over his first two seasons. Losing 4-0 against Utrecht and getting beat off Sion in his second season were rotten results. Not a learning curve.

Bob Loblaw and Valhalla like this.
  20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

:43: what? It's the very definition of a learning curve.

He qualified for the Champions League the following 2 seasons, won our first away group stages under any manager and defeated possibly the greatest club side ever.

Contrast that to Rodgers who played the same system and personnel against teams throughout his 3 seasons and actually seen our performances steadily decline.

To suggest Lennon didn't learn from his earlier defeats is one of the most bizarre suggestions I've seen yet.