1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

London is burning

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by holy pope, Aug 6, 2011.

Discuss London is burning in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Rachaelink

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    To be honest I think this is a social issue more than a police one.

Other countries have a far more liberal legal system than our own, yet they would never see the scenes that happened over the weekend.

I think the social problems also account for why this has happened in England but not reached other parts of the UK.

Scottish, Irish ( and I assume welsh though cannot say for sure) societies are fairly similar.

2. The The Hand

So in other words you think we in the UK should be taking our social cues from Syria and Egypt? :rolleyes:

I fear you've been living in Rocket Land for too long, cos it's rubbing off on you.

Six months for swearing at the police would be a self-evidently outrageous sentence. If you honestly can't see that then I really do despair. :87:

3. Celtical

You're right CELTICgirl. There is a lot of hypocricy in the West.

4. The The Hand

5. The The Hand

Seems the stereotype of feral black youths run wild is not quite the reality.

Sounds like this young guy saw the police beating into someone, got angry, and mouthed off to them.

6. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    thats ridiculous in the extreme. 6 month for 3.50 worth of theft. i know guys who have defrauded and robbed a couple of grand and got off with non custodial sentences

7. LB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Hooper ,All Time -"Jinky"
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic song
    Think this is fantastic jail for a bottle of water ...Just what we need ..This will make them think again doing what they did :bbpd:

8. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time Larsson, Currently KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    At Camberwell Green magistrates, Nicholas Robinson, 23, an electrical engineering student with no previous convictions, was jailed for the maximum permitted six months after pleading guilty to stealing bottles of water worth £3.50 from Lidl in Brixton. He had been walking back from his girlfriend's house in the early hours of Monday morning when he saw the store being looted, his lawyer said, and had taken the opportunity to go in and help himself to a case of water because he was thirsty. He was caught up in the moment, and was ashamed of his actions, his defence said.

But the prosecution told judge Alan Baldwin: "This defendant has contributed through his action to criminal activities to the atmosphere of chaos and sheer lawlessness."

:47:how * much will it cost to keep him in jail for 6months ffs.

People stole tshirt etc worth 100s got 1 day or 2days in jail that is a * take.

9. obonfanti1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Henrik Larsson is the King of Kings
    then you have the banks who have defrauded and robbed billions off the taxpayer yet they are treated almost as indispensable demi-gods and given free reign to continue doing so

the looting by rioters is criminal but really what is the difference from the banks looting the public purse?

10. LB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Hooper ,All Time -"Jinky"
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic song
    Archbold has the answer :50:

11. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    :54:That old guy that was attacked has died :shamrock:RIP Richard-Mannington-Bowes-i:shamrock:Thoughts with his family at this time.

Brave man who tried to put out the fire started by thugs was attacked by the scum :54:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011
  12. The The Hand

Yes, I daresay the theft-of-a-bottle-of-water statistics will drop in the face of this.

The potential ruination of the life of a young guy with no previous criminal record is a small price to pay for the improved figures, eh? :rolleyes:

I despair sometimes, I really do.

13. albashamrock

R.I.P:shamrock:

14. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    A fire on the ninth floor of a tower block in Southfields, southwest London, has forced the evacuation of more than 150 people

15. Quiet Assassin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Paul McStay, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Did I say we should be taking cues from Egypt or any other country?

Don't be so blatantly obtuse, it does you no favours.

Taken in the context of their other actions, I'd say 6 months is about right. They weren't out for a midnight stroll in the middle of a riot.

But hey, you keep making excuses for the poor wee dears. I'd love to see your reaction if they'd have come rampaging through your street.

16. Quiet Assassin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Paul McStay, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Hold up just a sec. Show me where it says the Police were beating someone up and that was the action that provoked this poor wee boy to open his mouth?

Your assumption is based 100% on your prejudice. How do you know whether he was provoked or not. Are you in possession of facts that somehow didn't make their way into the pages of the newspapers, or are you just twisting the narrative to suit your own view.

I find it incredible that people are still trying to defend the actions of those who were involved in these riots. First there was all the bleating about how they were all underprivileged and deprived blah blah....then when that myth was disproved and the truth came out that there were rioters and thieves from all sectors of society, we now get more bleating about the sentencing.

It's about time the liberal left in the UK grew a pair of balls and admitted that there 30 odd year experiment was wrong, produced nothing but more divisions and more social problems.

17. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    RIP

18. DanniGhirl

The only person to blame for him now having a criminal record and possibly ruining his life opportunities is himself, I don't care what he stole, he still stole and deserves to have a criminal record for that, every single one of them should get the harshest sentence available but they wont and that is the disgrace, not that he got a "harsh" sentence but that they all wont get the same.

We were told, it's people with nothing that are rioting, but those already sentenced prove without a doubt that it was people from all walks of life that were involved, so now that bleeding heart liberals can't use that excuse they go on about the sentences, well I say tough, if you broke the law, showed no regards for others, caused fear and destruction then too bad, deal with the consequences that they brought on to themselves, no one forced them to participate in the rioting and looting, the chose to so now have to deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011
  19. CFCjosephCFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hooper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    awww * i must have sleep though it when it was in glasgow

its now in Edinburgh ! look at this nutter :52:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW0356brnrE&feature=aso[/YOUTUBE]

20. TimMalloyBhoy

As soon as the police acted like police and used their truncheons a little bit freely the riots petered out very quickly. Wednesday night was quieter, Thursday night--nothing.
    The fact that the cops arrested hundreds of people in their homes in the early hours, including over 1000 in London and all-night courts started sentencing immediately. Unfortunately the sentencing is all over the place. Kids under 12 cannot even be charged with an offence. Those under 18 (the majority) can only receive "supervision orders", so one has the situation where an * has been sentenced to six months for stealing a bottle of water, while 14 year old arsonists are walking free.
    to see how stupidly the British system treats criminals, see this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2024943/UK-RIOTS-David-Camerons-tough-sentences-Yobs-treated-THEYRE-victims.html