1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James Forrest

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, Jul 25, 2015.

Discuss James Forrest in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Goal with Titanic music

Luis1967 likes this.
  2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Didn't think he had the best of games tbh, but he did have a great assist and very nice finish for the goal.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Me and my brother said the same thing, he was pish but ultimately he won that game for us. Can’t argue with that.

The Prof and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  4. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Same as Dundee tbh.

Liam Scales likes this.
  5. Keano88

Him and Eddie have been the combination for our last 3 goals.

Forrest to Eddie @ Dundee
    Forrest to Eddie vs Huns
    Eddie to Forrest vs Huns

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    He was pretty quiet for the most part on Sunday but what a great first touch and calm finish for the winner. Probably is another one of the players who has played too many games over the last couple of seasons especially with all the internationals added in. Maybe rest him a bit coming up with the cup semi-final in mind.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THE only thing worse for a footballer whose own supporters haven’t come up for a song about him is when there is a ditty, and a good one as well, but nobody knows it.

With sincere apologies to the family of David Bowie and those who love one the great man’s 1972 single which featured on the Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spider from Mars, here’s an example.

“He’s a starman playing down the right. His name is Jamesie Forrest and he’s (rude word) dynamite.”

Come on, that’s brilliant. It might not blow anyone’s minds but that’s a terracing anthem right there. For something so catchy it strangely hasn’t caught on. I would start the campaign now but that takes effort and it’s been so long since I did anything worthwhil

Anyway.

Brendan Rodgers every so often would bring up this lack of a song for his winger. By all accounts, it causes some mirth within the dressing room. Not that Forrest cares. He’s not the type to let anything bother him. This attitude has served him well.

At 27-year-old, he is only six games away from 350 Celtic appearances. This season’s title will bring him to 16 winners’ medals, putting him on the all-time list behind Scott Brown, Billy McNeill and Bobby Lennox. Decent company.

Every club in the country wanted this kid when he was at primary school. He chose the club he supported and has been a fixture in the first-team since Neil Lennon’s first season in 2010/11.

Once booed by his own supporters when his name was announced before a Champions League play-off against Shakhter Karagandy, Forrest was strong enough to ignore such nonsense, played superbly in the second-leg at Parkhead, helping his team to get level in the qualifier – they lost 2-0 in Kazakhstan – before scoring a super winner in the last minute.

“For some reason there’s a section of our support that can’t take to him but I thought he was magnificent,” so said Lennon and he was right on both counts.

For three seasons, Forrest has been superb. Before the arrival of Rodgers, he enjoyed some superb games – was voted young player of the year in 2012 by both his fellow players and the football writers – but even the best wingers are consistent and this caused him to be picked on. There is no other way to put it.

This quiet, modest lad has become a modern Celtic great, according to Lennon. Surely now nobody would disagree.

“James has really come on in the last few seasons,” said a delighted John Kennedy, the Celtic coach, who has always been a fan. “He’s become a real integral part of the team.

“Under Neil, he was terrific when he burst on the scene and had a great period. Under Ronny Deila, not so much but in Brendan’s time he really came on again.

“He was out the team, getting some injuries, and I think he probably reflected on that - and really went for it. For the winner against Rangers...that’s not an easy finish. When the ball is coming across and he’s being closed down from behind, his touch and shot is first class.

“But James has shown that a number of times and he’s a crucial part of our team right now.”

Forrest had a strong claim to be Player of the Year last time around and while, for me, Callum McGregor has done enough to win this time, his team-mate is again in the running. It will be up to others to put forward the case for the winger.

“I think James’ personality adds to him as he’s a quiet type,” said Kennedy. “He doesn’t really want the limelight. He doesn’t like to put himself out there. He just plays his football. Even around the training ground, he is quiet, he does his work.

But the most important thing for us is that he goes and performs and I think the fans, without being vocal about it, appreciate what he does.

“Certainly us in the background and on the training ground, we appreciate everything he gives to us. In the main, he’s given us some massive goals, but as part of the team, he’s really important to us.

“It comes from James as well to keep pushing himself, keeping motivating himself.

“He’s another one who has been here for a long time, has come through our system and knows what it is all about.

“These personalities and characters are important, especially in big games, such as the recent Rangers match.

“There was a lot on the line, there is the emotion, the atmosphere, which is an extra edge, but he has been through it all before. He knows what to expect.”

As Forrest himself admitted, things could hardly have gone better for him in recent times.

Perhaps that’s why he is at long last being fully appreciated.

“The last couple of years have been unbelievable, and I just want to keep working hard.,” he said.

“If I can do that, I hope I can continue to add to everything I’ve achieved so far.

“Celtic is such a great club to play for, and even to this day, I love every minute of it.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Hes played 155 of the 176 games so far of the Treble Treble seasons, some amount of games - only Brown has matched him. Can't imagine theres any other outfield players in Europe who have played more.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I reckon he'll be the type that we'll only really fully appreciate when he's not there.

He has certain attributes we just take for granted, his ball retention as an example is absolutely phenomenal these days. He very, very, rarely gives the ball away. Then you have the big moments in the big games which he consistently produces at all levels.

11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Was he really booed before the Karagandy game?

Can't recall that. Hun patter if he was.

Going into our top 10 of all-time most decorated players at the age of 27 is some achievement.

Tommy25, neilly1987 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  12. Keano88

Mental considering how injury hit he was in his early years. Mind there was a spell where any time he went to ground I feared he’d be going off injured :giggle1:

Tommy25 and neilly1987 like this.
  13. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

What a guy

Tommy25 likes this.
  14. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    How many important goals has this guy scored. A great player that has dedicated his career to Celtic. Absolutely love wee Jamesy.

Tommy25, neilly1987, Taz and 2 others like this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
  16. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Position 46 in Celtic's top 100 goalscorers with total of 72 goals.

Tommy25, neilly1987 and Captain Brown like this.
  17. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If I ever hear the phrase "James Forrest a player that splits opinion among the Celtic fans" again then the world has gone mad. Any Celtic fan that thinks James Forrest isnt a very good player please take your season ticket and your Celtic scarf and burn them because and you know nothing about football, you need to go and watch Rugby or something.

Seosamh Máirtín and neilly1987 like this.
  18. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I started this thread because i thought he should have been sold a few seasons ago but i am soooooo glad he has made me eat my words.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Superb.

Tommy25 likes this.