1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Football experience foreign Celtic fans

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LukeV91, Aug 12, 2014.

Discuss Football experience foreign Celtic fans in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LukeV91

Hello!

My name is Luke and i'm from the Netherlands. As a foreigner it's hard to connect with local fans in Glasgow to experience a match day like they do every week. So i came up with the idea to change the football experience for foreign Celtic fans. Basically me and a irish friend of mine were discussing going to matches etc and sort of came up with an idea that were trying to get going.

It's still very concept at this stage, so don't judge me now ha! - The accommodation would be with a local supporter Bed and Breakfast style. This would allow us to keep prices all year around as opposed to hotels etc that can raise them when match days come around for foreign fans. It also means that fans travelling through this system would be supporting other Celtic supporters financially who in turn would be able to afford to get more games etc.

We'd love to know how foreign Celtic fans experience their match days in Glasgow. And if you like this idea and would use this system if it was available for Celtic fans. If you're not a foreigner, feel free to say something, as you experience match days in a different way than foreign fans do! What do you think of this idea?

If you have a spare minute can you please fill in this survey we made. This survey is for football supporters and should only take a couple of minutes! We'd really appreciate that! :50:

https://homefans.wufoo.com/forms/lets-make-football-travel-better/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  2. LukeV91

Got some great responses on the survey so far. Even from local Celtic fans. Keep them coming and Thank you!

3. Green Socks

This is a great idea and if I lived by myself I would love to put up a fellow foreign Celt so he can experience a match day. Hope this takes off mate would be brilliant :50:

4. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Brilliant "exchange football fans"

Hope you pull it off mate :50:

5. LukeV91

Cheers lads, appreciate it! Doing a lot of work at the moment to make this happen. That´s why i need football fans to fill in this survey! And maybe i´ll be the first one to use this system this season to see Celtic with a local fan from Glasgow! :50:

6. Silenzio

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That is a brilliant idea. :50:

You will see though that the football experience is different for all sorts of fans. You will also need to make sure you do not breach the rules on hotels, hostels and bed and breakfasts (for example, do you need a licence?).

7. LukeV91

Absolutely, that's why i want to make sure that foreign fans will have a weekend they won't forget in Glasgow with local fans! It depends on how this system will work, ofcourse there will definitely be some legal issues involved! But i studied law in the Netherlands, so that's not really a problem for me :icon_mrgreen:

8. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Brilliant!

9. Silenzio

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It is just that the rules on these issues can be tricky and that this is a local law matter (Dutch law being not relevant). In any case, it is an interesting project, so all the best. :50:

10. LukeV91

I agree, we also learned everything about International law and European law, so that might help! Anyway thank you, will definitely keep you guys up to date! :50:

11. Roskopicachu

A football pilgrimage kind of thing, with local expertise

Somewhere between Gidsy, GetYourGuide and couch surfing. Finding a unique way to monetize it is the tricky part.

I wouldn't necessarily restrict it to football. This kind of thing happens a lot in rugby as well.

12. Bratfurdbhoy1

Happens at IOM TT

They call it Home Stay on IOM for the Bikers-simialr concept and must have been on the go successfully for aroiund 15 yrs if I mind rightly!! Good luck!

13. Bratfurdbhoy1

Plus point being local Bhoys will keep you safe too!

14. Bratfurdbhoy1

And you might get yer hole from one of their sisters!! Good Luck!:56:

15. Glorious1967

Any good looking sisters mate? if so when can you put me up ?

16. Cmcgregor90

I know of the gb doing this for fellow friends of other groups they would set them up in there house feed them etc show them around the city and that

Sounds like a great idea but definetley think you would need to live alone or if your parents where a bit fine with it I guess

17. LukeV91

Haha cheers for your feedback lads!

18. LukeV91

Just had a look and again we've received 50 responses yesterday from Celtic fans! Well done guys, best support in the world. Again some great and helpfull responses from you guys:50:

19. LukeV91

After a lot of work and great feedback from you guys the system is there for local fans and for travelling fans! There is also a partner who's gonna help us with the system. They hosted people at the World Cup and doing Rugby events! I'm looking for a way to get in touch with supporters or with the supporters club.

As i'm a foreign Celtic fan i don't know the best way to get in touch with locals about this! Can someone on this forum help me out with this?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014