1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Spoiler Alert] Film reviews and ratings

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Fancy Pants, Apr 1, 2009.

Discuss Film reviews and ratings in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Serbian Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    These are some of the drama I've been watching lately, and maybe some of you are not - so give them a chance :86:

• 8/10 What's Eating Gilbert Grape - Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio almost 25 years ago,
    • 9/10 La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano - a long but pleasant journey through this movie,
    • 9/10 Hachi: A Dog's Tale - you'll have to cry if you have a heart,
    • 9/10 The Broken Circle Breakdown - a good one from Belgium,
    • 8/10 I, Daniel Blake - unfortunately very realistic film,
    • 9/10 Perfetti sconosciuti - a good one from Italy,
    • 8/10 L'appartement - a good one from France,
    • 8/10 The Princess Bride - fairy tale,
    • 8/10 October Sky - true story.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  2. Andybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    king henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ice cream and jelly
    Has anyone any good links for baby driver or planet of the apes?

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Just back from seeing Dunkirk in IMAX.

What a spectacle. Great performances and a well paced and constructed plot. Go see it.

4. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

MASH. Rubbish.

5. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

6,5/10 Pretty decent movie,

[​IMG]

jocksteinupper likes this.
  6. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Drive (2011)

Pure good.

Ryan Gosling da man.

Doogs. and Valhalla like this.
  7. Serbian Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    • 8/10 After Hours - good old (1985) comedy of Martin Scorsese.

packybhoy likes this.
  8. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The Big Sick

No bust a gut laughs but a gentle ripple throughout that keeps it ticking along. The cast are pretty solid across the board. Based on a true story apparently.

Girls Trip

A couple of real laugh out loud moments, and a couple that are pure cringe, but aside from that was kinda predictable.

England is Mine

Based on the development of (Steven) Morrissey, pre-Smiths, with the culmination of the film coming with the initial stages of working with Johnny Marr. If you're not into Smiths/Morrissey probably better giving this one a miss.

The Circle

Found this one on Netflix, with Emma Watson and Tom Hanks. Think using social media in order to create a Orwellian nightmare society, akin to 1984.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  9. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Half way through the new Mummy film. Wit a lot of pish it is.

10. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yep. Absolutely dire.

Valerian

Went to this at the cinema today. Thought it was alright to be fair. My daughter thought the CGI etc was pretty good, the story and characters was decent, could have done with a bit more humour, but was entertaining enough.

Doogs. likes this.
  11. clonbhoy

Watched 'The Big Sick' during the week and found it superb and with plenty of laughs and tears along the way. First thing I have watched Ray Romano in without wanting to kill him too! I thought it was wonderfully scripted and avoided a lot of the cliched pitfalls that other romantic comedies fall into. It all felt very genuine and human and you find yourself empathising with all the characters at some point or another.

I am going to see 'England is Mine' later. I am trying to go in with an open mind, despite reading some mixed reviews.

12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

I watched 20 min or so, then decided to give it a wrap.

clonbhoy and Doogs. like this.
  13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

:68:

14. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

:56:

15. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It is an interesting enough character study of someone who is convinced of his own self importance, and some little glances into what makes him tick/inspiration for later songs etc, but then again that should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with Morrissey anyhow, lol.

16. Sturm Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Johan Mjällby
    Alien 1-4.
    The first two are brilliant. Finchers Director's Cut of the 3rd is also fine. They shouldn't have shot the 4rd one.

17. clonbhoy

As a Mozza fan and someone who empathises greatly with the struggles of his developmental years, I found this to be very much a misunderstanding of an oft misunderstood man. It never got beyond the surface of what anyone with any interest in Morrissey has known for years, which makes the film seem rather pointless. If this film was an essay it would contain the words "and then" far too often.
    I suppose I should qualify this by saying it is very difficult to quantify the early life of a complicated and tortured genius into a 94 minute film, but they could have at least given a film about the most important British musician of the 1980s a decent soundtrack. 3/10

Taz likes this.
  18. Pinstripe

Just watched Jacobs Ladder again, years since I last watched it....what a * good movie.

19. clonbhoy

Had a night in with herself last night where we just sat in and watched three films, all of them pretty suitable to the situation.
    First up was 'Man Up', a romantic comedy starring Simon Pegg as a man who has his blind-date hijacked by someone who pretends to be said date, with romantic and hilarious consequences. Nearly all romantic comedies struggle with originality these days but I felt there was some novelty to the premise here and it did manage to blend some comedy into the romance, but it was also guilty of falling into the many cliched pitfalls that this genre of films is susceptible too. It is almost impossible for a modern 'rom-com' not to go down the formulaic route of 'boy meets girl where happiness and humour abound, male stupidity/egotism separates them terribly, which leads to a dramatic and heart-warming romantic gesture that wins her heart'. I blame Richard Curtis. Still, the cast is all pretty good, with the exception of the awful Sharon Horgan failing to pull off an English accent, something Lake Bell, Pegg's love interest, did excellently. Pegg is suited to these roles as men tend to like him, he is very likeable after all, as is the wonderful Ken Stott. I've sat through worse to get my hole. 6/10

Followed that up with 'Birdcage', an American adaptation of the wonderful 'La Cage Aux Folles'. Like most things, the original remains best but this was still a very enjoyable farcical romp with a wonderful cast and a solid script. By my reckoning though, Calista Flockhart must have been about 32 when playing a character we were supposed to believe was 18. Her husband to be looked older than 20 too! While Williams is, as he tends to be, the most engrossing presence it is Hank Azaria, of 'Simpsons' fame who provides the most amusement as the flamboyantly camp Guatemalan maid. 7/10

And finally we watched 'Cinema Paradiso' as she hadn't seen it before and it had been some time for me. It really is the most perfect film ever made. A wonderfully simple story that is all-embracing while feeling so personal. The directing, acting, Alfredo in particular, and score are all done perfectly and anybody who doesn't cry at the end is made of stone. Before we watched it she asked me what it was about and all I could say was "life". I am also of the belief that the original ending is far superior, it is much better suited to the plot and leaves a bittersweet contrast to Alfredo's words that "life is not like the movies". 10/10

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I presume after putting yourself through all that she was still to tired? :56:

Although iv only seen the first of those 3 and I enjoyed it emmensly.

clonbhoy likes this.