1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

EL: anyone else enjoying this a lot more than the CL?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Random Review, Nov 30, 2018.

Discuss EL: anyone else enjoying this a lot more than the CL? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Disclaimer: nothing compares to the big CL nights under the lights at CP, back when we could compete (at least at home); but in the current climate, I'm enjoying this a lot more than getting bent over by Barcelona and PSG. An awful lot more!

Don't get me wrong, we need the CL money and I hope we qualify next time, but this is much more fun.

Dalbeth3 likes this.
  2. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Ive said champions league is where we belong. As the champions league isnt just about the money for me, its for the prestige of being in with the big boys and showing our fans, our stadium and our club to the millions of people watch it around the world.

Dont get me wrong, Ive enjoyed this europa league campaign and it feels more like our level but we should always aim to qualify for the best tournament there is in club football.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  3. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Champions league is a farce. It is repetitive and bar a few games is tiring to watch the same ties pop up year after year. The format is in need of change and it’s the favouritism towards the elite has created a stale stink with money being spunked about like water. In the current world climate it is embarrassing and morally wrong. Europa League for me is more of a competition for purists.

4. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It’s a weird one. I only enjoyed two games last season in the CL, Bayern at home and Anderlecht away. The other four games were toxic.

This season I’ve really enjoyed the last two EL games, and while we didn’t play great I was buzzing/relieved when we got the win at home to Rosenborg. I want us to be in the CL every season but I’m not gonna sulk about the fact we’re not there - EL is still a top level of football and we are testing ourselves against opposition far greater than what we play on a weekly basis.

If we finish the job at home to Salzburg and qualify I’ll be buzzing with this European campaign. Knockout football after Christmas shouldn’t be sniffed at by any Celtic fan and we’ll have pipped a team near the top of the Bundelisga to get to that stage.

5. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

definately more fun its good to be able to compete

i think the time is just about upon os when we wont be getting into the champions league the big tv companies and their big deals with the big leagues for their football are twisting uefa into making the champions league (should rename the * thing) a closed shop so they can all share the money between themselves

now if only all the other nations that are not being represented or are being squeezed out said * off to the champions league being broadcast in their countries, that would cause uefa and the big leagues to think again maybe

6. Jeremie Frimpong

Give me the prestige and prize-money of the Champions League every day of the week.

We may be hard-pushed to take points from the élite clubs, but RB Leipzig and RB Salzburg are as good as any third seed we could have met in the Champions League group stage. I would rather face clubs of that standing at the highest level.

(Moreover, the two-legged play-off, in effect, against Anderlecht last season was a more straightforward route to the Europa League Round of 32 than our current group.)

The trade-off is the two wins against Rosenborg, but, as enjoyable as they were, they were expected.

7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    What * it was when they brought in that rule to allow other teams to be in pot one even though their individual coeff is * resulting in some groups having the equivelant of two pot one teams quality wise in a group with a pot 2 team makes the groups so uneven if it was back to way it was when say Strachan was manager their would be more chance of a pot 3 or 4 sneaking through because the groups were actually better evened out that way

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

packybhoy likes this.
  8. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    * having a pot 1 - 4.
    Just put them all in one pot and draw out the teams with No seedings.

9. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

Love Champions League.

Hate getting beat 7-1.

10. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Champions league is where the money is and status what were geared up for , but some tough games in europa too good sides, To have 9pts with potential of 12pts in the group we drew is great.

It doesn't matter if your in Cl or Europa you always look to win your home games to qualify anything else a bonus,

11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Have to say if we got the benfica ajax and bayern group I think we would have had a good chance of qualifying a very evened out group compared to the last two that we got

The IRA likes this.
  12. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Five hundred grand a win too we get four means we got bout 2 and a half million euros in prize money from the six games not including the money for qualifying and TV pot

13. Murph-E

Obviously enjoying the results more than our last 2 CL campaigns, but I deffo look forward to the CL games more.

The IRA likes this.
  14. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    We should aim to qualify for and finish 3rd in the CL groups every year. 3-5 years solidly of that and we can have a real go at winnng the EL.

15. Heb Celt

Doesn't matter which comp we are in as we always end up in the hardest group.Does make for a challenge.Just hope we dont see either Rosenberg or Barcelona for a few seasons at least:56:

16. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    TBF mate I would take Rosenberg every year :56:

17. Heb Celt

Easy 6 points before group even starts:56:

Seriously though,would like some different teams like Dortmund or Lazio instead of the usual Benficas:56:

18. TimFloyd Gold Member

Tbh I would enjoy the champions league if we ever got a pure spawny group like Arsenal and Man Utd always seem to get but we always seem to get drawn against the elite of the elite.

Some will say that’s what’s it’s all about and yeah you would be right but for once I’d give my deed grans eyes just to have a group thinking we have chance.

We would still no doubt * it and get raped but hey ho

Norm Peterson likes this.
  19. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Nothing beats the champions league anthem blasting around the stadium under the floodlights but it’s nice to be able to go in to Europa games and be quite confident of winning.

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Actually quite like the anthem they have for europa this year the very first theme tune they had for europa when it started was a shocker