1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Craig Gordon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Dáibhí, Jul 3, 2014.

Discuss Craig Gordon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Mr. Slippyfist

Was he? :43:

Anytime I recall watching him the ball went out for a shy to the opposition.

shaunbhoy67 likes this.
  4. MikeyM

Aye everybody knows we should be aiming to have a better number one, but I'm always wondering why so many folk seem to dislike Gordon as a person? Is he a * or is it just because he went up for a corner against us? Always thought he seemed a decent enough guy

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    shaunbhoy67 likes this.
  5. JamesM09

I remember Zaluska being notoriously bad with the ball at his feet. Like the wee posh wean that played rugby.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

TAKE a guess at which Celtic player can boast a 100 per cent passing completion record in more than one game this season.

Believe it or not, it’s the one at the back. Right at the back. The player who when the ball is at his feet can at home games sense that the best part of 60,000 people would prefer him to launch it. After all, if goalies could play football then they wouldn’t be goalies.

Craig Gordon knows full well that when he elects to find a team-mate with either a short or long pass, especially if he’s made the cardinal sin of taking a touch to weigh up his options, the majority of Celtic Park would far rather he simply booted it up field.

He has bad news for those panic merchants.

Brendan Rodgers wants his side to play out from the back, starting with the guy in goal. If that doesn’t happen, and Gordon found this out for himself in Rodgers's first season, then someone else will get the chance to play the sweeper-keeper role.

There have been times when this Celtic side have invited trouble at the back. And on occasion the invite was accepted. It is a risky strategy. Safety would be hoofing the ball back to the opposition. It’s what happened for 120 years.

Football has changed. The role of goalkeeper has changed. Supporters now need to get with the times.

“At the weekend I had 100 percent pass completion,” revealed a proud Gordon. “We didn’t play long at all. We managed to play through the lines really well and that’s something we always work on

It’s something fans have to get used to. Getting 100 percent is not something that happens very often for a goalkeeper because there are times you have to go long. But to complete every single pass is something fans expect no matter if it’s ten or 60 yards.

“The coaches look at it over the season, the passes and the areas I pass it in to, and statistically over the season it’s very good. People maybe don’t look in to that side too much and think every single one should be completed.

It’s something the coaches are looking for, is that kind of detail. It’s not just keeping the ball out of the net. It’s did I play the right ball in the right areas, was it quick enough, was it to the right player?

“There’s a lot more to it now but it’s enjoyable. There’s definitely been improvement in recent months and years.

“I’ve managed 100 percent a few times. I’ve done it a few times in recent weeks. It tends to happen at Celtic Park but we had it at Dundee the other week as well. It can happen from time to time but it’s not always the way we play. Sometimes the manager will set us up to play a little longer. It depends on the personnel and the opposition.

“We are a passing team but it’s not always the tactic. It’s a mixture that’s up to the manager and coaches and I’ll sit with Stevie Woods (goalkeeping coach) in the build up to games to decide on exactly how I’ll go.”

Gordon is no Xavi but he can play a bit. And he’s under orders. It’s always amusing to watch the reaction of his manager when he does punt it long or a pass doesn’t make its intended target.

It's shake of the head even if his team are comfortably ahead.

The Celtic goalkeeper, who is having another fine season, will continue to take these calculated risks on Thursday night against Red Bull Salzburg. A draw would do the league leaders but that’s not on their mind.

And neither is playing football from the dark ages.

It’s something the coaches are looking for, is that kind of detail. It’s not just keeping the ball out of the net. It’s did I play the right ball in the right areas, was it quick enough, was it to the right player?

“There’s a lot more to it now but it’s enjoyable. There’s definitely been improvement in recent months and years.

“I’ve managed 100 percent a few times. I’ve done it a few times in recent weeks. It tends to happen at Celtic Park but we had it at Dundee the other week as well. It can happen from time to time but it’s not always the way we play. Sometimes the manager will set us up to play a little longer. It depends on the personnel and the opposition.

“We are a passing team but it’s not always the tactic. It’s a mixture that’s up to the manager and coaches and I’ll sit with Stevie Woods (goalkeeping coach) in the build up to games to decide on exactly how I’ll go.”

Gordon is no Xavi but he can play a bit. And he’s under orders. It’s always amusing to watch the reaction of his manager when he does punt it long or a pass doesn’t make its intended target.

It's shake of the head even if his team are comfortably ahead.

The Celtic goalkeeper, who is having another fine season, will continue to take these calculated risks on Thursday night against Red Bull Salzburg. A draw would do the league leaders but that’s not on their mind.

And neither is playing football from the dark ages.

I don’t think we can play for a point,” said Gordon. “Obviously, things can change as the game progresses, depending on what we need and that could influence what happens but, to begin with, we’ll be going out to win.

“So we’ll still play our way and pass the ball out from the back. That sets up our attacks and it would take something away from the team and the other guys further up the pitch for if we didn’t do that.

“We’ll try and build the game; there will be no change from that point of view. People say it’s risky but we don’t lose too many goals as a result of it. For me, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Of course, we’ll get caught out from time to time because everybody does but over the course of a season we’ll get more joy from it.”

Should Celtic finish second in their group, Salzburg are already through with a 100 per cent record, it would be no mean feat.

Not many teams start right at the very beginning of the Champions League and then get to the last 32 of the Europa League.

And the competition does get really good next year.

“We’d love to be in the draw for the last 32 and see what happens from there,” said Gordon. There will be some really big teams in there and you have the Champions League sides dropping in as well.

"We already landed two very big names in our group and it would be great to put ourselves in the position to get one of those.”

7. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

I think it's his arrogance mate. If he * up or that he never owns it. He's always swinging his arms blaming someone else instead of taking it on the chin.

MikeyM and trackebhoy like this.
  8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    On this very thread and this very day you have the perfect example of why people like me have mixed feelings about him. You see him visiting sick kids and you have to give him credit for being involved in that side of the club; but he definitely has a condescending attitude towards fans at times (and with his posh accent, some of us are always going to speculate that this might be because he is a big, stuck up, posh w***).

TC being what it is, there are of course a few people calling on him to "launch it"; but I think the majority of Celtic fans are quite knowledgeable about the game, and most of those criticising him are well aware that the game has changed and he is under orders; we just don't think he is very good at it. But notice how he depicts all criticism as coming from ignorant know nothings. He did something similar when some fans criticised Boyata and Gordon backed him almost to the point of having a GIRFUY moment when he ran the length of the pitch after Boyata scored and some of his comments in the media at that time.

I still think he's a good keeper in general (albeit that I now accept he made a positioning mistake against Motherwell that cost us a goal) and his kicking has improved a lot and also fair play to him for the hospital visit; but it's hard to really take to someone who sometimes seems to look down on people like me TBH.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    MikeyM and Liam Scales like this.
  9. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Think because he was whoring himself to the Huns looking desperate before we gave him a lifeline. Personally i don’t give a * as long as he does his best in Celtic colours and as a player I’ll support him.

MikeyM likes this.
  10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Beer Sheva to get us into the Champions League.

Also, 100% passing rate on the weekend there.

packybhoy likes this.
  11. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Did he? Don't remember that, was ages ago, still a terrible record for pen saves.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Yes, wasn’t all that long ago. Penalty save and a Broony goal got us through when we should have hit them for about 10 at home and been out of sight.

I agree. Also think he should have saved that on the weekend because he got a good hand to it but a penalties a gamble most of the time.

Random Review likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Put the * doon

15. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    On the plus side it wasn't his kicking that caused it

Gabriel likes this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That better end the miserable looking useless *..

He better never pull that jersey on again. Get to *..

His distribution is and always has been an utter disgrace..

Gabriel likes this.
  17. Lavender Gooms

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

18. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    If that doesn’t get a player dropped for the next game I don’t know what will.

19. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    He can pull of wonder saves but his distribution with his feet puts us under constant pressure but that there was just * criminal. We need to start main over this * .

20. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Karius was concussed when he made his mistake...this * is a shambles.