Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Drakhan, Apr 8, 2016.

Discuss Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I know that for the GM's and Admin there is already a thread on Depression, Stress and Anxiety, in the huddle, but thought i would start one on here for all you lesser mortals :86:

If you have suffered or are having recurring Mental Health problems or even know someone with these problems i am sure that help can be had.
    If you know of any links to help you and others access Mental health help, then please post them on here.

Please be respectful on this thread.

2. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I have a couple of links that may help
    In Scotland there is

http://www.cbtcounsellingscotland.co.uk/

There isnt an IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) in Scotland
    although there are plans for some form of it be introduced.

In England and Wales

http://www.iapt.nhs.uk/

There is also
    http://www.healthymindsbucks.nhs.uk/

IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) is quite a bit better than CBT but both actually help.

Here are a couple more links for use in Scotland

http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/

http://glasgowspcmh.org.uk/home.php

The following link has a few publications that can be bought

http://www.healthymindsbucks.nhs.uk/getting-help/other-resources/[/QUOTE]

Edit:
    Here is a link for Northern Ireland that helps with Depression

http://www.aware-ni.org/

and Republic of Ireland

http://www.aware.ie/

plus for those who feel as they can't cope anymore (especially for teenagers)

http://www.ias.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Teen-depression.pdf

Another couple of links, this time for one of our members in Australia

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/

http://au.reachout.com/help-services-for-depression

Another couple of links to add especially for the bereavement process

for Scotland
    www.[B]crusescotland[/B].org.uk/

http://www.cruse.org.uk/in-your-area for rest of UK

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2016
  3. Minimalist Banned!

Good thread to start up :50:

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies hopefully benefits this country because a lot of us need it.

I suffer from DPD (Depersonalization Disorder) and GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) which has gave me Thanatophobia. :31:

4. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    going through the motions the now.not being diagnosed yet.meeting them again on Tuesday.now they want to interview my mum.its a pain in the *,but I suppose if it helps in the long run I just need to put up with it.at least Im dealing with it after neglecting my mental health for years.its only that I have been of the drink and drugs for months that made me finally get off my * and see my doctor about it.

5. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    thanatphobia.* that must be scary.the thought is in my head somewhere but I seem block it out.but it was something I used to think about a lot if I was sitting with a massive hangover or cumdown.

6. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Could be a good thing that they want to speak to your mum.
    It may help, as you say, in the long run.
    At least it will help her understand more about what you are going through.
    Hope everything works out for you.

7. celtic.Ghirl

Its the best thing to be fair. Usually involve those close to you so they have a better understanding on whats going on & how to support you. Its a hard slog, but it's all to benefit you. Its the most difficult thing to try explain a mental health disorder to someone as physcially.. most look grand, so its hard to see that theres a problem and thats why it takes so long to diagnose folk. Good luck with it all an i wish you the best.

8. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Have suffered with depression on and off since i was about 14 or 15. Support of people around you is important as is being active. Whenever I've let it dictate my actions it only gets worse. No matter how * you feel make a conscious effort to go see your mates, or play 5 a side or go for a walk or whatever it is that usually gets you out of the house.

First time I've ever heard of thanatophobia reading this thread but a quick read on wikipedia and I think I have that too. When the depression is bad I always end up sitting awake in the middle of the night fixating and obsessing about death. * myself at not knowing what comes after it and all that. I always thought I was a weirdo and the only one that did that. Never knew it was a thing.

9. celtic.Ghirl

Atleast you are at the stage where you know that its got the potential to change your actions, & know what you can do to pull yourself out of a rut.
    you should definatley have a chat with someone regarding the thanatophobia tho if its a concern. Having someone to chat to works wonders. Hope everythings works out for you.

10. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I've never been diagnosed with anything or told anybody but i think i have some sort of social anxiety.
    Sometime i feel this pressure in my ears, they ring and my head feels like it's going to implode. It's weird. I have to focus on something else such as checking my phone.
    This comes on randomly. I could be in a small gathering or in the middle of a busy supermarket/shopping centre.

Sometimes i just have to hurry up and get the * out of wherever i am.

It's only a recent thing. My mother has anxiety and i don't want to end up like that. She's coping ok now with medication but i really hope i can keep a grip of things.

11. celtic.Ghirl

I think that if u think its a real issue then you'll need to go see someone about it, i work in the industry and theres very few who can just suddenly 'get a grip of things' anxiety is a horrible thing to deal with an its not always handled with meds, counselling etc are good as you think it comes out of nowhere when there is more than likley a trigger but you just cant put your finger on it & they help with that. Check out original posters links. Hope things work out for you.

12. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

interesting about death anxiety- that's probably the root of a lot of peoples problems, even if it only effects you subconsciously.

13. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Best see your doctor especially since you mentioned your mother.
    Ask them to refer you to get help if they think you need it.

14. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I'll pluck up the courage and phone for an appointment next week, i think.

My mum got a tablet to take daily and she seems to be doing fine. Can't remember the name of it.

15. celtic.Ghirl

Its never as bad as you think itl be! Good luck :)

16. Minimalist Banned!

Can't even put into words how hard it is to live with.

17. Bonobhoy

Doctor said im all better now, can i play with you
    Fav Celtic Player:
    Ghod 7
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over/The Celtic Song
    Had to go to the Dr last week for first time regarding severe Anxiety/Stress, its made my sleeping *....

He gave me sleeping tablets and basically kicked me out :54:

I think its a bit of depression.....hate this feeling tbh

18. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Look on the first page of this thread, mate.
    There are some links for you to get help and you can get your doctor or another doctor to refer you if needed to them.
    Don't take no for an answer from the doc.
    Not all Doc's know what their talking about when it comes to any mental health illness and that's exactly what Depression/ Anxiety is.

19. Bonobhoy

Doctor said im all better now, can i play with you
    Fav Celtic Player:
    Ghod 7
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over/The Celtic Song
    cheers brother :50:

Im gonna take a week or 2 of fighting it.....sleep that is.

Hopefully it gets better.

I just felt as if he shoulda asked more about whats going on and how i feel,he seemed to just give the tablets out, and close the door on your way out feeling.

Just feel as if i daydream and stare into nothing most of the days now,hardly have any enjoyment or energy (prob due to sleep) anymore.

Even watching the celtic games,stare through them most of the times and cant be arsed.

Ill see how it goes though

20. kramer1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Sammy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I know how you feel, and I really do feel for you. It's really difficult to live with. Do you have any ways of coping with the phobia? It's closely related to various forms of psychosomatic conditions/anxiety/depression. On my really bad days, I think I'm about to die immediately from a heart attack/stroke/whatever else I may have heard about/read about, and it can be terrifying. The worst thing is that the depression it causes leads to chronic exhaustion, and it can be difficult to get out of the chair other than to go to work. It really does limit your life in so many ways. All the best to you. I wish I had some advice that would lessen the burden you bear with this condition. For me, I lose myself in movies, tv, books, and I try to do a lot of walking when I can work up the willpower. I'm fairly isolated here in Australia. My family's in Scotland and Ireland. But I think, if you can, trying to involve yourself in positive social situation with friends and family has to be a good way of helping with the sense of isolation and loneliness that can also be associated with the condition. The links provided in this thread would also be a good start in trying to get some help. * bless. :shamrock::shamrock::shamrock: