1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cesar Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar.

Discussion in 'The Lisbon Lions' started by HoopswithPride, Feb 25, 2017.

Discuss Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar. in the The Lisbon Lions area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Horrible disease.

Had grandparents who were both affected by it. One of the worst things possible to see a person you have known and loved for so long deteriorate in front of you.

He hasn't looked well for a while and I had heard this was the reason. The man is the definition of legend.

packybhoy likes this.
  2. Pacific Ocean Blue

Absolute legend

3. Momo Sylla

Known about this for a while as I know one of his family. Didn't know it had gotten to this stage. I'm lucky I was able to share a pint with him and the rest of the Lions before the Benfica game in 07.

Liam Scales likes this.
  4. Shamrock.

Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Really sad news. My father had Dementia and as Mr Monaghan said one that see's a long deterioration. A cruel thing. Legend is an over used word but not for guys like Billy McNeill.

5. Henke102

From an era where our players were from the West of Scotland and the majority grew up Celtic fans, real football men who loved the club, one of the biggest icons if not the biggest to come out of Scottish football for a number of reasons.

6. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Terrible hearing this. I honestly don't even want to post in this thread because the whole thing is just so, so *.

It's a horrible disease and my thoughts are with McNeill and his family. You couldn't have asked for a classier captain or leader and I'm delighted he'll always be the first one of us to have lifted the big cup.

7. RudiVata

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic song
    Absolutely giant of a man. Very sad reading that article but comforting to know he has a strong family and his wife seems like a remarkable woman.

Henry Clarkson likes this.
  8. celtic warrior

This illness is just the worst. Watching a loved one go from the strong backbone to not knowing who you are is as heartbreaking for the family as it is terrifying for the sufferer who think strangers are on their house.

Markybhoy likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BR on Billy McNeill: "I was aware for a bit of time about Billy's situation."

BR: "True icon, true leader and one of the figures that's inspired the Club to what it is today."

BR: "I met Billy at the Aberdeen game, good spirit and still a twinkle in his eye."

BR: "As always, Billy and his family retain the huge support from the Celtic family."

BR: "One of the truly iconic players and people of this Club. Will always be remembered fondly for his time at Celtic."

Captain Brown likes this.
  10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    From Hugh Keevins twitter page,

A great friend told me today the proudest day of his life was when big Billy called him by his first name. That's a legend.

The Shugster said on tonight's phone in that Billy was his boyhood hero.

11. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I haven't commented (or read) on this thread because I don't know what to really say here. We all know how horrible this disease is (personally, in my case, because it's affected a couple of family members) and we wouldn't wish it on anyone, never mind a Celtic legend.

But, I can remember "one of our own" on here, ripping the poor man after he done the Scottish Cup (?) draw and we could obviously see he was struggling and that really * me off. Even on FF, majority said they felt for him.... I hope you're happy now it's out and if I had the time, I'd shame you.

* bless you and your family Cesar. You'll never walk alone.

packybhoy likes this.
  12. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Lost my Gran to dementia a year ago in January, was getting to the point where she wouldn't have recognised us soon. I'm glad she went before then, was a blessing in disguise.

packybhoy and Captain Brown like this.
  13. strike twice

I was sad to hear about big Billy , but I thought that it was public knowledge that he was ill . The best thing that can happen from this situation is the raising of public awareness . And also that Billy is given the best treatment , care and attention . If the diagnosis is done early enough , medication can help/slow down the deterioration . I lost my Dad to vascular dementia , it's a struggle for the family . But Billy will have a strong group of family and friends to support him .Hail Hail Cesar !

14. Markybhoy

Only found out today that Billy has lost the power of speech through the dementia. That's terrible. I didn't even know dementia could do that to you. Some people should just never grow old and Billy McNeill is one of them. Colossus of a man and someone who will be spoken of for as long as Celtic Football Club exists.

packybhoy likes this.
  15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Wasn't public knowledge but was obvious he wasn't right and hadn't been for years, same as Tommy Gemmell and Bobby Charlton who I dont think have announced theres anything wrong with them but there obviously is as well. As you slow down when you get old a wee bit but you dont rapidly decline in your 70s unless theres an actual problem.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Posted in the GB thread but I will post this here.

The Green Brigade would like to offer a massive thank you to the entire Celtic support for their overwhelming response to our Lisbon50tifo fundraising campaign. Launched online just 21 days ago we have decided to close the gofundme page after reaching £12,864 of our £15,000 target. Donations spanned the globe and included £1,000 from North Curve Celtic.

We certainly haven't fallen short of our target though. At Saturday's match you would have noticed our members collecting for the same appeal. We can now confirm that the collection raised a generous £9,141.82 pushing our combined total to £22,005.82

As planned from the outset, this money will fund a full stadium tifo to commemorate the Lisbon Lions which is scheduled for the league trophy presentation fixture. Given the vast sum raised, remaining funds will also be invested in other Lisbon tifos as well as a Scottish Cup Final tifo.

Yet again we have been left humbled by the generosity of the Celtic support. Given the constant and incredible backing that we receive, we feel a responsibility that extends beyond our membership. In light of this and of the recent news concerning Billy McNeil, we will make a donation to Alzheimer Scotland in honour of our greatest ever captain.

Billy McNeil led the Lisbon Lions to footballing dominance and immortality in 1967 and today we donate £1,967 to Alzheimer Scotland in his honour and on behalf of all those who have contributed to our appeal.

17. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Nice gesture.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Billy's medal collection.
    [​IMG]

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....