TalkCeltic - The Ultimate Celtic FC Forum

Forum software by XenForo

Celtic agree £1.5m fee for Virgo

Celtic have agreed a £1.5m fee with Brighton for the English Championship outfit's defender, Adam Virgo.

The 22-year-old will travel to Celtic Park for talks about personal terms and a possible medical on Wednesday.

Brighton manager Mark McGhee believes that Virgo has the ability to make a similar impact to Chris Sutton.

"He is a great athlete, has a fantastic attitude and can play in the heart of defence, right back, midfield or up front," said the former Celtic striker.

"But I think his best position is in defence and that is where he will make his name with Celtic.

"When I arrived at the club, he was on loan at Exeter, but I quickly realised his abilities and he has been in my team since then. I've supported Brighton all my life, but sometimes you just can't say no to an opportunity such as this

"He has the ability to succeed at Celtic and the fact that they have offered £1.5m for him shows the faith they have in him too.

"It's with great sadness that that we say farewell, but I totally support board's decision as I understand the financial restraints at this club."

Brighton chairman Dick Knight says he rejected two previous approaches from Celtic until they met his valuation of the locally-born player who was their player of the season last term.

"This is a bittersweet moment for Mark McGhee, the board and myself," said Knight.

"While the money will enable the club to survive the coming months as we await the stadium decision, we are all very conscious that we are losing an exceptional player - in fact, two players because of his versatility.

"But the club's survival comes first and, at this price, reluctantly, we have to let Adam go to the wonderful opportunity offered him by Celtic.

"Some of the Virgo transfer money will immediately be made available to Mark for squad strengthening as a result of Adam leaving."

Virgo added: "People might think that joining...
Keeper Boruc joins Celtic on loan

Goalkeeper Artur Boruc has joined Celtic on a year-long loan deal from Polish outfit Legia Warsaw after he passed a medical on Wednesday.
A fee had been agreed between the clubs and Celtic have the option of paying more to extend the 25-year-old's stay.

Boruc hopes that joining Celtic will help him take over the Poland jersey from Liverpool's Jerzy Dudek.

"I want to be number one with Celtic and with Poland and win myself a longer contract here," he told BBC Sport.

"If I play over here then Jerzy Dudek will have a little problem over in Liverpool."

Boruc, who will contest the number one jersey at Celtic with Scotland international David Marshall, was also delighted to be given the chance to play in front of regular 60,000-strong crowds.

The Pole had promised not to "ask for a lot of money" in negotiations as he was simply honoured to be joining a club like Celtic.

"This is a big club and a great club and maybe we are going to be in the Champions League," he said.

"I remember seeing one Celtic game on television - in Seville against Porto - and the one thing I remember was that there were so many supporters."

Boruc will be linking up with fellow Pole Maciej Zurawski, who completed his move from Wisla Krakow last week.

"For me, the acclimatisation should be easier at a new club because I can speak English a bit," added Boruc.

"But I will have a Polish colleague too, which is very important."

Celtic turned their attention to Boruc after failing in a bid for Southampton's former Rangers goalkeeper, Antti Niemi.

The Glasgow club's manager, Gordon Strachan, said: "We tried to get Antti Niemi and that deal came to an end in the early hours of Friday morning, when we made our final bid.

"What we are getting is a player who is hungry. He's the Polish number two at the moment.

"There is a loan fee and his wages, but we felt we saved a lot of money and we can use...
UEFA Champions League 2nd Qualifying Round,
Kairat Almaty (KAZ) or Artmedia (SVK) v Celtic


Gordon Strachan's Celtic face a difficult trip to either Kasakhstan or Slovakia in the Champions League second qualifying round after the club was drawn against the winner of the Kairat Almaty v Artmedia Bratislava first round tie.

The prospect of an eight-hour flight to Kasakhstan - albeit against a side with the lowest coefficient in the draw - will be particularly unappealing to the new Hoops boss, who would doubtless have been hoping for a tie closer to home against the likes of Glentoran, Shelbourne or Total Network Solutions, who have instead been paired with Liverpool.

Instead, Strachan and his players face a journey into the unknown before returning to Celtic Park for the second leg - hopefully to finish a job that nonetheless looks likely to be anything but routine.

The ties will be played on July 26/27 and August 2/3.

-----------------------------------------

From Celticfc.net
Camara signs two-year Celtic deal

Mohammed Camara has signed for Celtic after agreeing a two-year deal.
The former Burnley left-back, a Guinea international, became new boss Gordon Strachan's first signing for Celtic after undergoing a medical on Tuesday.

The 29-year-old, who joined Burnley from Wolverhampton Wanderers, rejected a new two-year deal at Turf Moor.

He had a chance to remain in English football with Ipswich Town, but they fell out of the running after failing to win promotion to the Premiership.

Camara's arrival in Glasgow coincided with that of Poland striker Maciej Zurawski, who is hoping to seal a £2.2m move from Wisla Krakow.

Free agent Camara, who turns 30 on Saturday, had been lined up by previous Celtic manager Martin O'Neill, who stood down last month to spend more time with seriously ill wife Geraldine.

---------------------------------

From BBC Sport
Gordon Strachan has made his first official move in the transfer market with a £2million bid for Maciej Zurawski of Wisla Krakow.

The Polish striker is in top form and has already stated in the media he would love to move to the Scottish giants.

And Wisla President Janusz Basalaj said earlier today: "We have just received an official offer from the Scottish club.

"Celtic has presented their proposal and we have launched negotiations."

Strachan has had Zurawski watched and is hopeful of getting the player on board quickly.

But Celtic fans will be concerned that this might mean a move for Welshman Craig Bellamy is becoming more and more unlikely.

Newcastle want at least £5million for the unsettled striker although Celtic aren't prepared to match that valuation.

Meanwhile, defender Joos Valgaeran has signed for FC Brugge on a free after his contract expired.

The Belgian will be returning to his homeland after Martin O'Neill brought him to Glasgow 5 years ago.

Neil Lennon though is going nowhere after agreeing to sign a one year deal which will probably see the Northern Irishman into retirement.