1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vasilis Barkas

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 29, 2020.

Discuss Vasilis Barkas in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I agree with the general theme that, although he hasn't really made any howlers, he just doesn't make any big saves.

That's the difference between a decent goalie and a good or great one.

Dan Breen likes this.
  2. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Second goal, he has to see that coming tbh. I still think he’ll go on to be a good keeper whether that’s here or elsewhere I’m not sure. I hold out hope that he may start to refund form under a new manager, but * knows what’s going to happen.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think he's been scapegoated quite often, I think he's got some ability but I still want us to find someone better if we can find it as he's not shown it often enough for us yet. Sorting the way we defend set pieces and crosses into the box is more of a concern to me at the moment, and I think even Forster would have looked worse this season, given how woeful our defending has been. Still think there's almost nothing he could've done for the goals tonight, a header and a tap in from ~6 yards.

martin_d, Artorias and James like this.
  4. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

The thing is, he hasn't made any real howlers because he literally does nothing. It seems like we would be as well playing with 10 men, without a keeper and just declaring "we've got a backsie, last man saves".

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He will never be a Celtic goalkeeper in a million years so cut our losses whilst he still has good value, is playing regularly for Greece and his AEK form is still fresh in the memory of scouts.

6. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I just don't think it's going to work out here for him.

I do think under an actual football manager guys like Ajeti, Barkas etc would do a lot better, but where-as I think Ajeti has a future here, I think we'll most likely sell Barkas and start a new. Clearly a much better goalkeeper than he's showing.

martin_d and Breathnach67 like this.
  7. davidhannah

By the law of averages in terms of goals conceded and shots saved he should have made at least 1. He's unsuccessfully gone to February and he's not stopped a certain goal on television. It's a remarkable run of failure. He's probably conceded more goals than games played.

8. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You are actually right. By my reckoning, he has conceded 10 in 13 league games, he was in goal when Ross Co knocked us out of the League Cup (so that's 2 more conceded), and 7 goals in the 2 Europa League games he was between the sticks for. That's 19 conceded in 16 games.

Can't remember if he played in the Champions League Qualifiers, but if he did, then he conceded at least 2 more goals in those 2 games also. Which would still be 21 in 18 games.

Hammy89 likes this.
  9. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Zero ability as a goalkeeper. We should've held onto Gordon before we spent a penny on this fraud. And I didn't even like Gordon.

Sydneysider likes this.
  10. Conlon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Past - Henrik .... Present - Who knows
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing... among others
    BEAT IT

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

11. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    He never moves his feet...it like they're nailed to the grass.

Lennon1888, Sydneysider and Dan Breen like this.
  12. Stevie6767

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean South
    I agree the defence has not helped him at all, however I dont think he's shown anything while playing for us to make anyone think he's got any ability.

The first goal, although atrocious defending, his positioning is terrible, too far over to the wrong side and he seems really slow at moving his feet, so can't compensate to get across.

Need to cut our losses.

13. Mince.Charming

We could take any keeper from any team in our league and it would be an improvement.

14. Buster

Every time his chat comes up l get all excited and come in here thinking he’s made a save

15. Sydneysider

He manages to appear to dive but basically drop in the same spot. He actually makes himself smaller. No confidence, no command, every game looks like his first at this level.

(For a larf : Just been watching the bit in Gregorys Girl ( 52 mins) where the girl practices shots and Gregory is in goal : I knew Id seen Barkas technique before !! )

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  16. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Hazard is our main man for shot stopping that’s for sure. He should be out on the training ground getting taught how to deal with crosses and he’d be a good keeper.

Barkas I have stuck up for but he seems likes a second behind all the time. Dunno what football is like in Greece and by all accounts he was decent there.

NomDePlum likes this.
  17. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    Really tried to keep on backing him, unwell, lonely, doesn't speak language, poor defence, low morale etc

Just ... none of those things can account for a professional goalie playing that badly, every shot on goal we're in danger of conceding. I'd stick Bain back in for now as clearly we aren't going to sign anyone, not that it * matters anymore : /

Sydneysider likes this.
  18. Foley1888

The fact we keep putting him in basically hoping he comes good sums up our terrible
    approach by management to this season.

In defence of those that scouted him, he does look a far better keeper than he was showing on footage of him. He looks like he had a presence and was good at one on ones.

Now videos can be misleading but it actually looks a different person. The guy that has turned out for us looks terrified, his positioning is terrible and he never gives himself a chance to make saves as he is always way to far across to one side of the other of his goals, he also seems so slow to react to anything.

Now he has not been helped by having a constantly changing shambolic back line in front of him but I can’t get away from the fact he hasn’t got close to making a good save all season.

Is it a case of a guy who given the current circumstances has come from a completely different culture, climate and environment that has failed to settle?

Whatever the case we need to get someone else in that is capable of being at the very least a solid keeper.

19. Wullywanbaw

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Zombie nation
    He is genuinely a poor choice of goalkeeper.
    Not saved a shot in 2021, 4th worst saving percentage in the league. Punt.

20. Dubliner1

That's because they had only 2 shots on target. So u are spot on. Also, in the Sevco game no shots on target apart from the OG. The defence is getting pelters but in reality we are not given away too many chances. The stats say teams are scoring with their efforts on goal

gandolf and The Phoenix like this.