1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomoki Iwata

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Dec 30, 2022.

Discuss Tomoki Iwata in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm 100% with you on this.

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    There's an argument that he should play to give the team balance, I can see that. I'm really not a fan, though.

It seems to have been forgotten about because we scored just after; but there was a bit just before the goal where Kyogo made a brilliant run and Iwata totally ignored it. Kyogo was really frustrated.

I also find he's a bit static at times in a lot of games.

3. Foley1888

The thing I wish he would do on occasion particularly against lower blocks is that driving run he done at the end and combined with Idah, he is quick and strong when he gets going and can link with others, until Idah took a poor touch and allowed the defender to get back in that would have been a sensational goal.

Also the cross for Scales was every bit as good as the balls Hoilett put in just their boys buried the headers.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
  4. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Aye he's actually pretty good at driving forward with the ball. Would like to see that a bit more.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Yep. He’s far too safe.

This argument that well he’s a CDM, he’s there to keep it simple and protect the defence. That’s not enough domestically.

Wanyama was rock solid defensively and physically, but he also contributed offensively. It shouldn’t be a case of one or the other.

I don’t see Iwata do much on the ball. He doesn’t go looking for it much, and when he’s on it you rarely see him play a forward pass more than 10 yards long.

6. Foley1888

He has also on occasion attacked the space between full back and centre back and got into position to play a cut back with running from deep, almost Hatate-esq but seems hesitant.

Being fair his main job is to protect the defence and let others get forward but almost like when big Ajer done it on occasion from centre back it’s that unpredictability of someone being there the opposition don’t expect, can just create that bit of confusion.

I do think we had our best spell when Forrest and Iwata came on and really should have got ourselves 3 or 4-1 in front before their late chances. Hatate started to play with freedom and totally ran the game until he tired.

Wllm likes this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I love the times he picks to go forward, that one Idah had a chance was amazing. Everytime we’ve seen him drive forward, it’s always at a point he’s clear in space and will make a difference and will never be missed with nobody there to cover in behind if it goes wrong. I’ve not seen him choose the wrong moment that backfires to a counter on us yet though, he’s very clever at picking his moments to do it.

He’s almost like the opposite type of Calmac in the 6, who is naturally more attacking but reminds himself to think about defending, whereas Tomoki is naturally defensive and thinking about when it’s a moment to attack.

I really like him. He’s a fantastic option to have. Feel slightly sorry for him that when he plays, it’s mostly been instead of McGregor and it’s judged in that manner. Comes in for the guy who controls everything, the leader and the guy the rest of the team looks towards for help when it’s not going well for them.

The brief moment we seen Iwata, McGregor further forward and O’Riley looked excellent, then Calmac got injured.

Now Hatate’s back, it probably won’t be seen again. Think that would have been the midfield 3 that you’d see him shine. Teams too used to when they’re under pressure looking to the position he’s in and playing it there regardless of pressure on them, because Calmac’s always there. He’s not that yet, but he is tidy, has ability, reads the game well and is very physical.

And he’s the only midfielder we have that will think about the defensive first, rather than going forward. Saying that, O’Riley when he played there absolutely did as well, shows his quality

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    If Idah put away the chance he drove forward and played him in, it’d be the opposite people are saying.

Think it was similar the Livingston game he set up the 3rd to go 3-2 late on by picking his moments to go forward, and got the assist when we needed somebody to make an unexpected run, he stepped up. His goal against Hearts this year was excellent as well, and I’m sure there was another game he was * unlucky and could have had a hat trick, but ended with none, one off the line that would have been a superb finish passed into the net… and that’s been the ones that stands out in my mind, he does it often, but he picks and chooses when, and it’s when it’s safe and we won’t get caught out not having him there to cover. Maybe 1 or 2 a game. But everytime he does it it’s effective.

Playing it safe in general play is how Rodgers wants that position played, we’ve seen it all season with McGregor there. Weirdly who got more assists early on this season, with 5, than under Ange playing more bold. But I contribute that down to him making sure somecunt does when nobody else is, Broony done the same under Rodgers.

Harsh comparison if you’re using Wanyama, may as well compare CCV to Van Dijk or Kyogo to Larsson.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bernardos defensive stats is a fun thing to show to people who don’t see what he does. They’re ridiculous.

He doesn’t need to sprint about obvious as *, outrunning everyone around him to show it. He just knows where to be and when to do it, it goes under the radar. O’Riley very similar in that regard as well, but not as well as Bernardo does it. And O’Riley does it very well. I’m desperate for us signing him permanently, he’s got such a higher level in him. He’s a pler.

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We need McGregor to get his form back, because Iwata is a real problem IMHO.

thailandceltic likes this.
  11. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    They were bossing the mf till he came on, which tells you about Calmac's fitness right now.

JimOfTheJungle and Champions0607 like this.
  12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Was still better than McGregor. No idea why Rodgers is starting him when there are other options.

Champions0607 likes this.
  13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Should be looking for a move this summer if McGregor starts another game ahead of him this season.

He’s not great but at least he’s actually fit and puts in the odd tackle.

JimOfTheJungle likes this.
  14. JamesM09

He must be trying to get McGregor fit and sharp.

Honestly for me Iwata needs to start next game. Everyone improved when he came on. McGregor unfit is a man down at this stage of the season.

NomDePlum likes this.
  15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    IMHO, he makes others around him worse. He's OK defensively and with the ball (though frankly nothing special in either regard); but he's a big problem when we have the ball and he doesn't. Often, he doesn't move at all and when he does, it's often not the right movement. I was watching him for a while today and he hardly ever scanned. It really makes us disjointed.

I wonder if Bernardo could play that role until McGregor is back up to speed. I know it's not his natural position; but he's an intelligent player and might be able to do it (though the next two games are probably not the right time to be trying that out TBF).

StPauli1916 likes this.
  16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think he's mediocre. His lack of awareness gets shown up a lot, not necessarily today, but in a lot of his performances. I would absolutely be fine with him leaving in the summer.

StPauli1916 and thailandceltic like this.
  17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Same.

JamesM09 likes this.
  18. gary88

Not really seen the hype with iwata but what a difference he made when he came on. Totally shored things up in midfield

NomDePlum likes this.
  19. JamesM09

I think the key point is the one you made at the end there mate. We can’t risk bringing someone into a role at this stage of the season.

Random Review likes this.
  20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm just praying that McGregor is back in form by the derby. I genuinely worry about Iwata.

JamesM09 likes this.