1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomoki Iwata

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Dec 30, 2022.

Discuss Tomoki Iwata in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Outstanding player. Just looks like real quality on and off the ball.

Rydo1888*, Guchi Gucci and HoopyT like this.
  2. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Becoming my favourite player. Class act.

3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Can I ask you about Tomoki Iwata? He’s came back from injury and has been very impressive over the last couple of games. What does he give you, as well as a chance to push Callum on?

He anchors that midfield for us, and allows us to move on. He’s a very good player but he’s missed a lot of moments this season. It looked as if he was going to get his run in the team but he was out injured. That’s been a challenging time for him, and then it’s just about getting him up to speed and trying to get him in at the right time. I’m really pleased for him because he has given his all in training, he’s just waited for his opportunity. This was a midfield that was very difficult to get into. You look at Matt O’Riley, with all due respect he wasn’t starting last year! You had Callum, Reo Hatate and Aaron Mooy, who were the players that were playing a lot of games. He has come in and had a fantastic season, Matt. Tommo (Iwata) has had to be patient but I trust him when he comes in. He plays the game simple, is dynamic at winning the ball back and he’s performed really well in these last few games.

4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Tomoki Iwata admits Celtic fans left him confused and fearing booing was aimed at him
    Japenese midfielder reflects on moment that irritated manager Brendan Rodgers

Tomoki Iwata admits he wondered if the boos from the Celtic fans were for him when he was taken off against Motherwell last weekend.

The large travelling support jeered the decision to replace him with Paulo Bernardo given the strength of the Japanese midfielder’s performance in his first appearance since December. That reaction irritated manager Brendan Rodgers, especially given Celtic went on to win 3-1 thanks to two injury-time goals

Iwata was left bemused, too, and feared it was a negative response to his own display

At the beginning I was confused,” he revealed through a translator. “Like ‘is it toward me?’ or what? But then I think it was, in a way, a compliment and I took it very well.

"I just want to meet the expectations now. Now I’m starting to feature in games and really happy about it. Hopefully I can look to contribute more towards the team winning.

“Before that I was obviously frustrated at not being involved in the team because of injuries or different situations.

“I was hoping that I would get opportunities so, yeah, it was a difficult moment but now I’m happy. The only thing I was thinking about was how I was going to get the time on the pitch here – how I can improve myself and how I can contribute to the team.”

Iwata thanked his family for supporting him during those difficult moments on the sidelines. “I didn’t feel it was as difficult as maybe it could have been because my family supported me very well,” he added. “I’m very settled in Glasgow.”

Rydo1888* and Crilly like this.
  5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Criminal how slow he was today to move the ball..

Was miles off what we need from a 6 at them. Look at their offside goal for a prime example..

Riddy..

6. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Not helped by the ridiculous lack of movement from that brainless * at left wing. He's looking for him to make a run but as usual he showed absolutely * all game awareness.

He's a defensive midfielder his job is to break up attacks and move the ball on to the creative players. If we want a deep lying playmaker in there again play mcgregor but then folk will complain that we get played thru and have no dig. Can't have it both ways unless u go and spend 20 odd million on 1 of the rare ones who can do both

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    So when he's got 10 yards free on the ball and Taylor in acres of space no one near and he takes no 1, no 2 but 3 touches to deliberate over what he's gonna do..

What a loada *..

Lost count the amount of times he got the ball and he was desperately trying to tackle on his second touch..

8. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Didn't look fit at all.

9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He was poor today. Thought he looked injured and should have been off at halftime.

10. Big C

Very poor today. We lacked structure when down to 10 men and he didn’t help.

11. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Wasn't great today. But having just come back from injury then playing 70 mins on Sunday, 90 mins on Wednesday then playing almost a full game with 10 men, I'm not surprised he was slowing down.

12. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Went * ballistic at him wae this, unforgivable that. Perfect opportunity for a quick counter attack, pass to Taylor and we're away yet he * about too many touches gets the ball whipped off him. What a * shitebag moment that was. Disgrace.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  13. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    How many times does he look up waiting for Maeda to move?

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Maeda's a donkey but no the only one on the park..

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  15. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    It was probably his poorest performance for us but being down to 10 men and losing all kinds of shape didn't help.

We went 4221 2nd half but it appears after 2 mins o'riley forgot and then continued to play as a wide number 8 the way he does in a 433 which essentially left Iwata in middle of the park on his own.

Got a bang on his ankle again early on which maybe didn't help. That will no doubt be him the scapegoat tho and him dropped while Maeda and O'riley continue to turn in * displays on a weekly basis.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    ardis1967 likes this.
  16. James Gold Member Gold Member

I really like him and have wanted him in the team for a while but he was * poor today

17. JamesM09

Good player, questionable mentality.

18. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As much as I was going tonto at him today, if McGregor is in front if him it's a totally different scenario for him. Cal was a monumental miss for both the team and Iwata today.

Sonic Reducer likes this.
  19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Wanted too much time on the ball.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Thought he was OK, dallied a couple of times but options were limited after Yang went off so understandable.

Ryanm1984 likes this.