1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Briony needs to be honest with himself and tell the manager he cant do every game.

Look at all his bookings already this season! His reputation is always getting booked but that is not the case.. or it wasn't until this season.

His fitness levels in training may be up there but his match sharpness isnt there during games.

We need his replacement to get game time and start learning to play without him on the pitch.

2. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He has been great for us but you just have to see when he was subbed the tempo went up 2 notches . He is still needed but Lennon has to have the balls to drop him in games

3. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    We definitely need to start playing without him.....it there to see, plain and simple.

Dan Breen likes this.
  4. Lecs

It was his decision making tonight that surprised me.

He's the most experienced guy in our team, second most experienced guy on the pitch behind Zlatan and he's fannying about with the ball in his own box in the first half.

Then in the second half he's just aimlessly passing the ball to opposition. He's still got a part to play but he shouldn't be starting as many games.

5. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

It break my heart seeing it but we all knew this day was coming. We got a choice here, sentiment or progression. Unfortunately broony is not the player he once was. Over the years he has sit deeper and deeper as most aging CMS do. The truth of it though is he still offered so much to the team up till now. It is like being a man down. These games are passing him by. He doesn't have that energy to get close to his man any more. I used to feel that broony could win the ball back from anyone, if it appeared to be a 50/50 you would fancy Scott's chances of coming out on top, that is no longer the case. He also had energy to turn defence into attack, again I do not think he offers that anymore. In an ideal world we would find some miracle to make broony 5 years younger but that is not an option. We just have to accept that broony has given his best but cannot play the way he used too. Brown should be a very good substitute now.

The difference in pace and energy when broony come off last night was their for all to see and let's be honest, Rogic doesn't scream industry either.

I get the reluctance to drop broony, but if we don't it could (and I feel will) cost us. Its time to be brave, time to make the big calls.

Artorias likes this.
  6. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    He looks like me playing 5s after not very long... utterly exhausted.

neilly1987 likes this.
  7. Pearse67*

He is holding the team back now, hes * running backwards then when we break it takes him an eternity to push out.

He literally becomes an extra defender, his passing, awareness, fitness have all regressed so much that he shouldnt be near the playing side of things.

Just look at the difference when he went off, that is no coincidence, we were breaking with pace, guile, creativeness, one twos and actually scored.

I have no doubt now that if lennon continues to play brown week in week out then we will indeed lose the league which is a frightening scenario.

Dan Breen likes this.
  8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I honestly wonder if he was maybe playing through something. I don't think his important role in recent games has been overstated at all and Lenny subbing him so early is highly unusual. I've seen him play worse and stay on.

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    He looks gone now his age has caught up with him wasn’t only one like that in the pitch ibrahimovic looked his age aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I am thinking he may be the reason we are so "predestrian". He has been off the pace all season. Decision making, positioning, organizing seems to be all wrong.

Time for him to be dropped, even if he is captain! No player if bigger than the team

Dan Breen and Taz like this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Scott Brown has been here before.

A couple of poor results, players off form – and the inevitable questions asking if the champions are still up to the task.

To be fair to Celtic’s captain, when the flak is
    flying he has never been one to take cover.

Despite enjoying a decade of success, Brown, his
    team-mates and gaffer Neil Lennon got it in the neck last week after defeats to Rangers and AC Milan.

The skipper was subbed against the Italians in the Europa League, leading to queries about his own place in the team.

But Brown is used to it. When it comes to criticism, he’s like Teflon and with Lennon’s men going for 10 In A Row, he’s not about to let it affect him now.

The 35-year-old is willing to take the brunt of it on his shoulders. And after admitting that some people probably want him to RETIRE, he’s ready to prove them wrong all over again.

The Celtic stalwart said: “I’ll take all the flak you want. I don’t really look on social media too much.

After results like this there are always people who say: ‘Oh, he should retire, he’s not good enough to be playing.’

“Others will think: ‘They’ve not made the right signings.’

“But we have to stick together as a team. We need to be strong and make sure everything that happens stays in the dressing-room.

It’s never going to be plain sailing at Celtic but it’s about how we react now.

“It’s only one bad result in the league (the Rangers defeat) but in any season there are ups and downs. It’s not always nice and easy.

“The lads have been unbelievable for nine years. We’ve shown professionalism and just need to keep hitting the standards we’ve set.

“We want to push ourselves as far as we can again. There have been disruptions, we’ve lost boys to Covid-19 but we need to deal with stuff like that and stay positive.

We need to be strong and have the character to bounce back. With our record, we deserve to be trusted.

“But as a team we know we need to improve and start scoring more goals.

“From the goalie all the way through the strikers, we need to be better all over the park.

“But the main thing is to believe in ourselves.”

The performances of new players such as keeper Vasilis Barkas and defender Shane Duffy have been
    scrutinised, particularly after the Old Firm defeat.

But Brown claims it has been hard for the squad to bond with coronavirus restrictions preventing them from eating or changing in the same area at their base at Lennoxtown.

He said: “The new boys have done well but every team is in the same position with the restrictions.

“We need to make the best out of a bad situation. It’s not ideal that we can’t be in the same dressing room or go for meals together. The key thing is that everyone is protected.”

Lennon’s switch to a 3-5-2 formation has also been the subject of debate, especially after it was exposed at home to Milan. Brown’s team-mates Callum McGregor and Ryan Christie both admitted that they’re more comfortable playing a 4-2-3-1.

So would the Hoops captain ever speak to his manager about tactics? He said: “We chat all the time about what we’re going to do, how we’re going to play. It could be myself and Callum or other lads too.

“Different formations suit certain games better than
    others. But it’s not always about systems.

“No matter what formation we play or who is in the team, it’s about working hard and getting results.”

Brown might not have been happy at being taken off after an hour against Milan but he accepts that NO Celtic player will hit 60-plus games this season.

“We need competition so there will be players in and out,” he said. “Due to the Covid situation we could end up with more players in isolation

We can’t rely on one person playing 65 games this season. So we have to protect our bubble and keep it tight. We have a great squad but it’s hard when you’re missing five or six players at one time.”

After today’s Premiership clash with Aberdeen,
    Lennon’s men will be stretched again on Thursday night as they take on in-form Lille in France.

They need at least a point to kick-start their Europa League campaign and Brown said: “Europe is important and we still believe we can qualify from the group.

“This game in Lille is going to be huge. It won’t be easy but we have a good away record in recent seasons.

“Lille are top of the French league and that shows this wasn’t the easiest group. But we want to go through and feel we can.”

12. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He's never been 35 before

RiquelmeCSC, neilly1987 and JML67 like this.
  13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Here we go 10 in a row! Broony as assistant manager! :fear:

14. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

It's clear as day. Time catches up with everyone, he is still a legend, we still love him, he will still have an important role to play, but now is the time to start phasing him out. Blows my mind that folk can't see it or have a go at folk for suggesting it.

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

"folk" a.k.a Neil Lennon

Brian Dunphy and RiquelmeCSC like this.
  16. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Accurate

JML67 likes this.
  17. h0tsh0t87

Now can folk agree that brown isn’t the issue for celtic playing * . That’s two games recently he has been dropped and two games we have still been poor .

yes brown shouldn’t play every week but fans blaming our poor perfomances on him is crazy .

Bonobhoy, scootz and Metrobhoy like this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The way that winger went by him that caused the mess for the third goal..

Unbelievably *..

johnno379, Valhalla and Maestro 08 like this.
  19. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Been happening all season.

Embarrassing to let that happen in the last minute.

20. Maestro 08

Aye, 1 minute to go and we let their guy run through our midfield. Wasn't just Brown that let him stroll through mind. Wipe him out ffs!

That's before we get started on camping in against the sheep with 10 to go. Pathetic.

I actually think Brown is far more effective coming on with 30 to go tho. Problem is it's Ntcham taking his starting place and the * has a mouse heart. I'd take 1 Scott Brown over 100 Ntchams any day of the week.

3 wasters we need out that team pronto..

Ntcham
    Duffy
    Elyounoussi.