1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Petition: NO TO THE 'PARIS 2024' REGISTRATION ON THE GROUPAMA STADIUM IN LYON!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Lyonniste, Feb 10, 2024.

Discuss Petition: NO TO THE 'PARIS 2024' REGISTRATION ON THE GROUPAMA STADIUM IN LYON! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lyonniste Olimpico Liyonês

I need your help. I would like you to sign (and confirm via your mailbox) my petition:

NO TO THE "PARIS 2024" REGISTRATION ON THE GROUPAMA STADIUM IN LYON!

https://www.mesopinions.com/petition/sports/inscriptions-paris-2024-groupama-stadium-lyon/227723

I translate it here:

For the attention of the organisers of the 2024 Olympic Games, the managers of the Groupama stadium and all interested parties,
    We, the citizens and fans of Lyon, united by our passion for sport and our love for our city, launch a respectful but determined petition. Our request is clear: we want the term 'Paris 2024' to be replaced by 'JO 2024' on all signage and communications relating to the Olympic Games to be held at Lyon's Groupama Stadium.

Why is this request so important?

The rivalry between Lyon and Paris is not limited to sports competition, but is rooted in a long history of competition for recognition and development. This rivalry, although friendly, hides a less pleasant reality: the feeling perceived by many Lyonnais that the Parisian authorities despise our city and hold back its economic and cultural development.

Displaying 'Paris 2024' on our stadium would be seen as a provocation by the Lyonnais and would contribute to a feeling of marginalisation and contempt. This goes against the Olympic spirit, which advocates unity, respect and equality among all participants, regardless of their origin.

The 'JO 2024' alternative: a respectful solution
    Choosing the term 'JO 2024' instead of 'Paris 2024' is more than a semantic issue: it is a choice that reflects the spirit of inclusion and mutual respect. It would highlight the event itself and celebrate the collective effort of France as a whole to host the Olympic Games, without favouring one city over another.

Conclusion:

By changing the signage to 'JO 2024', we take a step towards recognising all the cities and regions that contribute to the success of this event. It is a strong symbolic gesture towards the promotion of diversity and equality, fundamental principles of Olympism.

We ask you to consider our request not only as a request to change terminology, but also as a call to recognise and respect the contribution of each host city to this global event.
    We thank you for your attention and look forward to a positive response to our petition.

Kind regards

Les Lyonnais

2. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    I've signed it but not sure how much they'll take any notice. I live in Wales.

Rydo1888*, johnboy19 and Lyonniste like this.
  3. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    Gift orban is going to be the next ibrahimovic .you heard it here first

Lyonniste likes this.
  4. Lyonniste Olimpico Liyonês

5. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Here what's lyon like I'm going over at the end of April how easy is it to get to the arena/stadium from the city centre

6. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

What’s JO mean

7. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Must be this olympic games
    The 2024 Summer Olympics (French: Jeux olympiques d'été de 2024), officially the Games of the XXXIII Olympiad (French: Jeux de la XXXIIIe Olympiade) and commonly known as Paris 2024, is an upcoming international multi-sport event scheduled to take place from 26 July to 11 August 2024 in France, with Paris as the main

8. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Got you. I think it’s the tradition of the Olympics to have it named after a single city. JO 2024 basically just means “the Olympics 2024”

Have all of the other Olympics been held in multiple cities? As in, was London just in London? Was Athens just in Athens?

9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    5 of the 6 football stadiums used in 2012 were outside London (St James, Hampden, Millennium, Ricoh, Old Trafford). Other events were held in Kent, Dorset, Essex, Herts and Buckinghamshire. Rio had loads outside Rio. Tokyo used no Tokyo football stadiums.

10. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Ok so with all due respect to the OP I think they’re being too touchy. It’s Olympics tradition to name it after the country’s capital city.

11. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Good luck with this - you're going to be disappointed though.

There is little to no flexibility when it comes to this stuff. Even when it comes to other cities contributing stadia for the Games, (in particular the football, which is always having to be shared far and wide) it still carries all of the signage of the official host city. So for example, 'Sydney 2000' was plastered all over the MCG in Melbourne, or 'London 2012' was all over Hampden Park, here in Scotland.

The bottom line is, the owners/operators of the stadia in Lyon would've had to agree to all such when they agreed to take part in the Games, and any financial benefit that they would recieve because of it.

Am sure those powers-that-be took local feelings into account before signing up for this, and it's not like the Olympics are a surprise, with usually 7-8 years advance notice in order to have everything prepared on time. Any substantial objection with regards the local sentiments might be in consideration really should've been highlighted long before now, but even if it was a very high local objection, the organizers no doubt would still value the incoming all-mighty Euros higher.

Wish it were otherwise, but that is the reality.

Slaw likes this.
  12. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Not true. Neither Sydney or Melbourne are the capital of Australia, neither Atlanta or Los Angeles are the capital in the US, Barcelona isn't in Spain, Montreal in Canada et al, yet all have been host cities.

Do agree with you though about being a bit too touchy about it though, and these objections should've been made long ago if it meant that much, knowing that it would possibly result in that stadia not to be used.

13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Fair enough, talking out of my *. Point still stands though regarding the host city. The organisers select a city they want to be the headline to the event, and that’s it and always has been the way. As you say, London 2012 was plastered all over Hampden. I think the Scots have equal or more right to be annoyed over that than the Lyonnaisse when it comes to Paris. But I’m not clued up on the history there either.

All just strikes me as touchy and getting all worked up over something that doesn’t really mean all that much. It’s a name. People must have their life in some order if this is the height of their problems.

Westlondonscot and Taz like this.