1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jota.

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Luis1967, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Jota. in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TheHappyLoss

Thought he was fine first half then got nothing second half. He’s class. Real Madrid are world class

2. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Thats the problem with playing inverted full backs, leaves you wide open and requires everyone to be fit as * to track back and compensate.

The amount of times they attacked down our left wing and i was wondering where Taylor was but he was in CM as instructed

Obviously against domestic * you get away with it

martin_d likes this.
  3. Mr. Slippyfist

Wasn't even a problem with inverted full back system. The first half I was sat in our LB corner and watched Jota at all times - even when Taylor was at LB position, Jota didn't know who to mark, cover, track.

Liam Scales likes this.
  4. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The amount of times there was no one there atall was alarming.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

Indeed.

I was actually raging at Jota at times, and was desperate to get Maeda on the left purely to do some covering.

My only gripe with Ange last night was keeping Jota there and not moving him over to the right when it was clear he wasn't doing enough defensively, and was getting zero joy out of Carvajal.

Slaw likes this.
  6. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    They totally took Jota out the game and he couldn’t figure out a way to get back in.

I was fare impressed with Juranovic with the sheer amount of running he did tracking back for Vinicius and then getting involved in attacks.

Liam Scales and EddieBhoy1986 like this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Jota has picked up the cinch Goal of the Month award for the first month of the season for his sensational strike from distance in the opening 2-0 win over Aberdeen at Celtic Park.

The Celtic winger's 75th-minute goal wrapped up a 2-0 victory for the Champions and he has contributed another three goals in the cinch Premiership since then, including in last weekend's Glasgow derby victory.

Jota won three cinch Premiership Player of the Month awards last season.

The Portuguese star told Celtic TV: “It was just like a flow moment, it happens through the game. And I saw the opportunity to take it and it went in, so I was very, very happy.

“Sometimes you just have the feeling, and back then I just had a feeling that is was going in, so after that it went in and I was really happy

“You just want to celebrate with your team-mates and celebrate the goal the way you want, and that’s what I did after that

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    Rydo1888* and Noskeil like this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Do you have a non twitter Jota interview fella? I'm no allowed on social media, haven't been on it for over 3 years for reasons you can only just imagine why ........ (yes I'm completely aware how much a * I come across at times it's no ment lol .....) so don't have twitter etc, when I click on the link on the CFC page I just get looped.

10. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    The Portuguese star told Celtic TV: “It was just like a flow moment, it happens through the game. And I saw the opportunity to take it and it went in, so I was very, very happy.

“Sometimes you just have the feeling, and back then I just had a feeling that is was going in, so after that it went in and I was really happy

“You just want to celebrate with your team-mates and celebrate the goal the way you want, and that’s what I did after that.”

Noskeil likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Much appreciated :)

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IF ever there was an affirmation of the faith that the Celtic support have placed in Ange Postecoglou, his players and his playing style, it was in the closing stages of the defeat to Real Madrid on Tuesday night.

Despite their team eventually being overwhelmed by their classy opponents and trailing by three goals to nil, the Celtic Park crowd rose to acclaim their manager and his team for the way they had approached the game, and the scare they had given the European champions along the way.

For Jota, unlike many of his Celtic teammates, the Champions League was not a new experience. But being applauded off after a 3-0 defeat was certainly a first. The gesture didn’t go unappreciated by the squad, and it has made the winger all the more determined that such support on the European stage also doesn’t go unrewarded.

“This speaks a lot about what Celtic is, the culture of Celtic and the history that they have,” Jota said.

“We are just grateful to have this support from everyone, and the one thing we can promise them is that we will work hard every day to try to deliver them results.

“It was definitely something unbelievable to play in this stadium with this atmosphere and this crowd in the Champions League.

“So, we just want to make our supporters happy, and we promise that every time we go out onto the pitch we are going to give everything for the shirt.”

The fans were certainly convinced that the Celtic players had done precisely that during the week, but while Jota is also proud of the efforts of his team, he was left with a lingering sense of disappointment over what might have been had they been more ruthless with the chances they created.

That clinical edge, he hopes, will come, just one of the many lessons from the night that he knows the Celtic squad have to take on board despite their creditable showing.

“We knew that we had to have personality inside the pitch, we needed to remain humble and just to play our game and that’s what we tried to do,” he said.

“We know that we had our chances, we didn’t score, and we know that when these teams have their chances they take them, and that’s it. Next time, we just need to take ours.

“The Champions League level is very high, always, and this will be a learning curve for us. I just can’t wait until the next one to get better and to get better results.

“Of course, we work hard every day to play against these teams, this is our aim.

“So, we are just going to keep on working hard, and try to get better results.”

One thing that is for sure is that when Celtic go on the road in the Champions League next week, taking on Shakhtar Donetsk next Wednesday night in Warsaw, their gameplan will not change. That much was made clear by manager Postecoglou immediately after the final whistle against Real Madrid.

“[He told us to] stick to our principles, keep working hard,” Jota said.

“We have plenty of games to go and that is what we are going to do.

“This is a Celtic team, we always want to win of course, but we know that in the Champions League there are very difficult games.

“Real Madrid is a top, top team, one of the best in the world, so now I think we just have to learn from our mistakes and go on to the next one.”

Though the scoreline didn’t fall Celtic’s way on Tuesday evening, there would have been many Celtic supporters who were heartened about their side’s chances of progress from Group F by the way that Postecoglou’s approach stood up at such a level.

For Jota though, such thoughts are a luxury he says Celtic cannot afford, with their sights immediately trained on the rather more mundane assignment of a home game against Livingston tomorrow.

“I think it’s too early for that,” he said. “We think about game after game, so now we just need to think about the league game, and then we will worry about the Champions League after that.

“That’s the secret. That’s really how we think. People often think that the only important thing is the Champions League, but it’s not. Every game counts for us.

“Now we are just going to rest and recover and think of the league game.”

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

RUI COSTA is expecting Benfica to reap the rewards of a sell-on fee in Jota's transfer to Celtic after his impressive form in Glasgow.

The Benfica president has delivered a "dividends" prediction as he insisted the club will follow his career and await any future payments should Jota make another big move.

Celtic agreed a permanent deal for Jota over the summer after the winger established himself as a fan favourite at Parkhead.

And despite his scintillating form in Scotland, Costa doesn't regret the loan-to-buy deal agreed with the Hoops when Jota first moved to Glasgow.

Instead, in an interview with BTV, Costa predicted more cash will be received with Benfica holding a sell-on fee in the transfer deal with Celtic.

It's reported Benfica could be in line to receive as much as 30 per cent of any future transfer fee for Jota as part of the £6.5million deal to sell him to Celtic.

And Costa is convinced the winger could net Benfica a tidy profit with a big-money move in the future.

As reported by A Bola, Costa commented: "Jota, formed by us, went to Scotland on a buy-to-order loan.

"It's been a brilliant season and Celtic moved on the option.

"We have kept part of the multi-player pass and will continue to follow the future to draw more dividends."

15. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Totally agree. Have never been convinced by it. I still think we’re better off with the wing-backs overlapping rather than underlapping.

If it’s felt Taylor hasn’t the pace for it, make sure to bleed Bernabei into the domestic games, so that he can eventually step up to this level.

AdamRS likes this.
  16. Luz1904

I believe it was never officially disclosed, but Benfica's president (Rui Costa) confirmed on BenficaTV that Celtic paid 7.5M€ for 70% of Jota's economic rights. No surprises but still useful for confirmatory purposes.

[​IMG]

craigtheceltic likes this.
  17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye he had a couple of great mazy runs but he wound me up so bad..

Everything was about him tonight and he was * anyway..

18. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I seen a few people say this in the match thread but I think the two times he was on mazy runs there wasn’t really a clear pass on.

Think he overran it a couple of times due to lack of options rather than greed.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Don't think he looked up once on them. Was head down looking at the light's..

His overall play was * poor for me..

20. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Agreed, the passes kept closing just as he had the opportunity to make them, then he had to go past one more until he was too wide on both occasions.

The 1st mazy run he had the opportunity to get a shot away though, took too many touches in the end1