1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daizen Maeda

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 31, 2021.

Discuss Daizen Maeda in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lecs

Livi as well this season, absolute belter.

Tommy25, bhroom and greengrocer like this.
  2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We should be looking to improve upon him in the summer.

Will always acknowledge what he brings to us work rate wise but genuinely astonished at how many of our fans are willing to ignore his deficiencies that most games don't really help us out a whole lot.

His work rate is great but for yesterday St Mirren had multiple crosses into the box unchallenged from his side. It's not all down to him, no, the point is that I'd swap the work rate for someone who could pop up consistently with assists and control a ball as those inputs are gonna win us titles. It's easier to get someone to track back a bit more than to teach the missing parts of his game as well.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    Big C and AdamRS like this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I dont think anyone in world football is on the money every time with their crossing. Nor their finishing or touch.

The fact he bombs it out the park, dribbles it out or loses possion OR miscontrols it in key attacking positions pretty much every game though, is the issue. I think ignoring that and saying if he didn't do it he would be playing for Liverpool is a bit if a stretch.

I've seen plenty players not at that level of club with more consistent technical ability than Maeda. Hundreds, even.

I agree with the last part. He's better centrally and when he doesn't have to think. Sadly his touch, finishing and linking of play isn't good enough to start consistently there for us.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    elbhoydo, henriks tongue and Lecs like this.
  4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

5. Lecs

Naw I was exagerating a bit with the Liverpool comment, but you know what I mean when fans say "if only he was better at crossing, shooting, passing", or any footballing characteristic, they simply wouldn't be a Celtic player.

If we get lucky enough to get a guy with all of the above, then he's at us for a season and a half, two seasons tops.

It's * and unfortunate, but we can only * with the * we've got. Our league is dugmeat. The fact that only two teams have won it since 1985 probably doesn't turn people on a great deal.

Maeda is a poor footballer, of that there is no doubt. He's a fantastic athlete, and gives his all, and is a bit of a loveable character. It sadly speaks volumes for where we are as a club though, you don't necessarily need to be a good player to get in our starting line up.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I agree with all that, yep.

I think the last part is my issue. I like him he seems a nice guy but as a footballer he's not what I'd pay to go and see.

I get that you need some players in your side who work their baws aff it's just in the position he plays I always feel that at Celtic and given the way teams set up to beat us we really need as many technical and creative players as possible.

Lecs likes this.
  7. henriks tongue

Still have nightmares about his Real Madrid sitter at 0-0:31:
    Technique, composure and basic footballing skills are a thousand miles off what's needed at Celtic.
    To be fair he is also a central striker by trade and we play him wide.
    I'd only play him against Rangers and Tav!

8. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I agree. I want to love the guy and I do appreciate the work. But people slaughter Palma and he has about triple the goal contributions. Need someone on the other side also chipping in with regular goals and assists. Infact Palma himself would probably score more if we had a right winger who could cross.

I'd take more creativity over what Maeda brings, personally

Mickmac and Mr Shelby like this.
  9. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    The most frustrating celtic player I have seen in years

Callum McGregor and Crilly like this.
  10. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Three teams.

11. Lecs

Hahaha you're right. My mistake. Same flies different *.

Guchi Gucci likes this.
  12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It also makes us easier to predict.

Aye teams need to consider his pace but they'll know his end product is pretty poor. And he only really has the knock it by and run in his locker.

Agree about Palma as well. As frustrating as he is we need someone like him more than we need a Maeda. Domestically anyway...and going by the fact he should have 2 goals or so in the UCL, attacking wise for Palma too.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You appear to have Daizen bipolar mate, these 2 were posted on the same day!

As with most others who appear to have developed an irrational dislike of him, the shanked crosses frustrate you to the point of clouding overall judgement - case in point above!

bhroom likes this.
  14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He did get 2 goals actually, 3 if not for Maeda :fear:.

I remember saying after the Killie cup game that their wingers, Kennedy and Armstrong looked much better technically than Maeda and Abada. Not saying they're better overall players obviously, they're not. But it was so obvious how limited we are with those two playing together. It's mad to me that he seems almost undroppable in the eyes of many.

15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I like him. I don't think he was good in the CL and against the Huns for us; I think he was sensational. I know everybody's opinion is different; but I honestly think he was our second best player in this year's CL after O'Riley. I've seen him change games for us and hardly anyone seemed to notice, from coming on at half-time against Shakhtar Donestk away to drawing the red card in the recent game against the Huns.

People think he's quite fast, but wasn't there a stat that showed he was the 4th or 5th fastest in the CL group stages? The only players who were faster where players like Marcus Rashford who don't work one tenth as hard. I loved him in those games.

So, yes, he has some obvious weaknesses and there are some games he's not well suited to (such as St Mirren on that pitch). I expect better away at Hibs (a game I think does suit his skillset); but he'd been away for a month and was just back after a long journey.

He's one of my favourite Celtic players right now.

As for Palma, he drives me up the wall. Daizen Maeda doesn't choose to have technical limitations; but Palma chooses to slow everything down and I always kind of suspect it's because he's looking for the Hollywood pass. Even if my suspicions are wrong, it's definitely a choice, because he has all the technical attributes to be a fabulous player for us. But he isn't, and I'm sick of him slowing our attacks down.

Maeda's the complete opposite. He's practically the definition of a team player.

Tommy25 and Hope N Ur Heart like this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    That Armstrong is a good player btw.

Zander likes this.
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think Palma slows the play at times because he doesn't have the pace. I don't think hes doing it purposely.

He may frustate but again he's had a heavy hand in both our goals at the weekend.

As mentioned earlier in the thread I dread to think where we would be without his inputs this season. Certainly wouldn't be top of the league.

If we win the title people will look back fondly on this debut season of his I feel. He's being compared to Jota too much which isn't helping.

Random Review likes this.
  18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Not really, both posts I've said I don't really like him (the second one more extreme in the heat of the moment) and throughout I've always acknowledged what he can bring to the side and sometimes we do genuinely miss it. I can still think he's gash whilst acknowledging his one or two shining attributes. I'd also say my opinions on celtic in general are up and down like a hoors knickers atm anyway so those posts are an example of that. There's also a second bit of that first post youve emitted and about 3 posts down I give again, a more balanced opinion on him.

I've always acknowledged what he's good at. I just don't think it's enough to merit starting for us. Recently we've been so lifeless that I was actually wanting him to come back into the fold, more out of desperation than anything.

It's not just 'shanked crosses' either. Pretty clear that's not the only reason he frustrates people. That was just an example from the weekend that particularly annoyed people.

You rate him clearly and I and a few others don't think hes what we should have starting for us, certainly, out wide. We could go round in circles.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    Slaw likes this.
  19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I can see both sides of the argument, as can most of us. The truth lies somewhere in the middle as usual.

His energy and commitment are amazing. I think we can all agree he’s been an absolute revelation for us in derby games. He shuts them down constantly while also offering a threat with his bursts beyond the defensive line. I don’t think we would’ve taken 6 points off them this season without him, no way.

However we do need to recognise just how bad he is at times. Shanked crosses just skim the surface of the enigma that is Daizen Maeda. He missed an absolute sitter against Real Madrid. I know that was a long time ago now, but it’s the first one that came to mind and it certainly wasn’t a surprise when he missed it.

In recent weeks I can remember 2 or 3 times we looked to have a really dangerous attack and his first touch let him down so badly that he had absolutely no chance of even having a second touch. To revisit the crossing thing - it really is horrendous most of the time. To the point where I’d say if you could teleport me into his shoes for the split second each time he crosses the ball into the box I’d do a better job.

He is capable of a good cross. I remember a few times he’s pinged a good one in from the left side. They’re 1 in 20 at this stage though.

One thing I would praise about his technical ability is he is not actually all that bad a dribbler. He can go by a man. It’s usually knock it past and chase kind of stuff but he can zig zag a bit with it too. He’s not woeful when running with the ball from the half way line. He can take a ball and pass it, that’s not too woeful either.

One thing I would say about him is I’m still not sure which foot is his stronger foot. If I said that about Lubo it would be a compliment. With Daizen it’s the exact opposite. He’s the definition of 2 left feet. Genuinely no idea which is his strongest. I thought for ages it was his left but I wouldn’t put my house on it.

Love the * as we all do, and I hope the non-celebration will be a one time thing.

I think he’s got a really important part to play in the run-in, particularly in those derby games. I certainly think there’s an argument that he should not be starting home games against bottom half sides when we need creativity to break down a low block though. I’d prefer to see Yang, Kuhn and possibly Vata given opportunities to prove themselves in those kind of games. And, for me, Luis Palma starts every game.

In the heat of the moment after the Hibs game I said I never wanted to see him play for us again. That was just my emotions talking and an indication of just how frustrating this guy is.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents

Random Review and Mickmac like this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Point being it’s not ‘we’ that’s going round in circles - you’re literally arguing with yourself on the same day with the exact opposite opinion :56: