1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Big C

Sorry mate no such thing as “Old Firm”…….deeeed.

Creativecelt, eire4, BhoyFitz and 7 others like this.
  2. Foley1888

I realised Brendan had a very good record against them all be it when he was first here they were poor. However I hadn’t realised he was 5 wins from 6 vs them at Ibrox and the only loss was that shambles where McGregor was left back and Mikey Johnston centre forward.

Even then it took a deflected strike and a masterclass from guess who, John Beaton failing to send of Morelos on multiple occasions.

I know we cannot dwell on the past as these are two more evenly matched sides but that is still some record there to also have a record of scored 13 and conceded 5 and only once lost more then one goal and we still won with 10 men. Not to mention hunped them a week later 4-0 at Hampden.

They will say it’s irrelevant new teams etc but a record of played 15, won 12, drew 2 and lost only 1, including 2 for 2 this year is good going.

In addition, the last meaningful league win for them was August 2021, a 1-0 at ibrox probably against the run of play, certainly against big chances in that game and we were still trying to find our feet with no CCV, Jota or Giakoumakis in the door yet and Christie and Eddy playing with one foot and four toes out it.

Edit again on Rodgers even across the 15 games the one we lost is probably the only one we were not the better side for the majority of the game. What I mean by that is it wasn’t like the draws or the wins were a bit like when we won the league cup in 2019 and got battered for most of the game. We have been the team in the ascendancy that 3-2 at Ibrox might have been the only questionable one given we went down to 10 men.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
    bhroom and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  3. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Staunch :BR1:

4. seanm

Cant wait until he leaves tbh. And takes his ego with him.HH

ddub11 likes this.
  5. BigDoggyWoofWoof

He's just on another level with this fixture. Even since he's came back he's managed results we've no right to have had against them. Doesn't hurt that they're serial bottle merchants. I feel really good ahead of Sunday.

bhroom, Crilly and Easydays like this.
  6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I’m hanging my hat this entire week on his derby record.

He has the Midas touch against these *. The first game this season we were in dreadful shape and won. We’re far more settled and in better form now, despite the media narrative.

In Brendan we trust.

HenriksRightBoot, bhroom and Crilly like this.
  7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC boss Brendan Rodgers says John Beaton is one of Scotland's top referees.

The Hoops boss has been giving his thoughts on the match official's controversial appointment for the season's third Old Firm match, which takes place at Ibrox on Sunday.

The gap between the two Glasgow giants is a wafer thin solitary point with Rangers having a game in hand.

And Rodgers' comments come just a matter of weeks after he openly questioned the competence of Beaton and Don Robertson as they served as the officiating team during the Hoops' 2-0 defeat at Tynecastle.

Rodgers was given a one-match ban - with another game suspended - for breaching the SFA's rules, freeing him up to take a spot on the touchline in Govan on Sunday.

He said: “For me, for John to be given the game…I think these games are for the top referees.

I’ve always said John Beaton is one of the top referees in the country.

“So he’s been allocated the game, I’m comfortable with that.

“My point was with that one game - not talking about John Beaton’s career as a referee.

“My gripe was on that day

They will feel they need to appoint someone who is experienced and John is one of the top, experienced referees in the country.

8. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    On SSN there “it’s a game we want tae win but we don’t need tae win”

WITTTTTT :31:

9. Martybhoy53

He should have told the truth about Beathun. A cheating orange *. One of the top cheating * in the country.
    I think McGregor will be on the bench.

MickeyyMack likes this.
  10. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Sound like kill them with kindness. Putting a bit of pressure on Beaton and he'll probably bottle it from being too much of a snake

BhoyFitz likes this.
  11. BigDoggyWoofWoof

The pressure's on Beaton to prove everyone wrong and call it right down the middle. I'm not really expecting to see a overtly biased performance from him. He'll save that for the wee games without the same spotlight.

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Crilly likes this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    As funny as it’d be, be detrimental as *. He’d be out the dugout for the run in, and would get the ref coming into the game resentful as *.

I don’t think he’s an intentional cheat, I think he has a natural bias towards them and against us because he’s a Hun. So any 50\50 call, or even 60/40 in our favour, it goes against us or for them. * him off and get him angry and resentful against us going in, it’ll make it a fuckton worse.

Sween and Random Review like this.
  14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yes, de-escalate, defuse, calm things down, muddy the waters a bit with the weird lie about having always said he's a top referee... I think Rodgers has shown his experience there. Now is not the time to fight these battles. The wrong comment now could potentially cost us several dozen million euros in CL money.

The Hearts thing really saddened me, you know. We were coming off our best performance all season and one defensible-but-harsh VAR decision put us up against it and another outrageous one killed us off. I don't want to risk that happening this weekend.

bhroom, Smithy and BhoyFitz like this.
  15. James Gold Member Gold Member

His comments on Beaton are a weird step back. Don't back doon double doon

Peej likes this.
  16. Sgt Neppers*

Hope they go full mean machine on Beaton from the Kick off. Punt right at his bollocks. Then again. Get him stretchered off to the lodge after 60 seconds. Snidey wee *.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Hearts game I was using as a barometer of our mentality and where we were as a team, and it’s the only way the game could have went that we could find out absolutely nothing from it. Yes we could have coped better to the red or missing the penalty, we could have took advantage of the penalty and still went to ten men and had something to fight for but really, I just felt cheated as *.

18. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If he can get a win, he'll go a long way to restoring me having some sort of faith in him after mixed performances. I imagine the "not needing to win" comments are to take the pressure off the players.

19. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    "We don't need to win"

* * Brendan, hold off on the inspirational speeches til game day, I'm ready to run through a brick wall here.

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Put’s pressure on them as well, they do need to win. We’re a must not lose.