1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I love that the BBC don’t have the self awareness to realise that they are in no position to lecture society about sexist behaviour … I’m sure they had the utmost respect for women in mind when they let Saville run free for years.

* them.

scuzzy likes this.
  2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has revealed his "sadness" at the backlash to his interview with BBC journalist Jane Lewis after Celtic's recent 3-1 win over Motherwell.

The Parkhead boss has sparked outrage across the country after he called the reporter "a good girl" the end of an interview in which the 50-year-old was clearly frustrated at the line of questioning.

Rodgers blasted the narrative he feels has been written about his side so far this season.

When pushed to explain the meaning of his comment by experienced journalist Lewis, Rodgers refused stating: "No, no. You know exactly what I mean. No."

Lewis said: "Can you tell us anymore, you're the one who brought that up so can you not give us some more on it?"

And then Rodgers ended the conversation, saying: "Okay, are we done? Good girl, well done, cheers."

Calls have since come for Rodgers to apologise for the comment with "casual sexism" referenced in response to the manager's remarks.

Lewis herself has since gone on record to state she was not offended by the Northern Irishman's comments.

And now Rodgers has had his say. "Sadly, for me, in society now we are looking for something to be offended by or to pin onto people," he said.

"I think you guys, since I have been up here, and any other journalist or reporter, know that I have always based my life on relationships.

"I have always offered a warmth, respect, tried to be courteous and offered time to people. That will never change.

"I will address it because I’ve obviously been aware of it [recent backlash].

“Sadly for me in society now, we are looking for something to offend or something offensive to try and pin onto people.

"Obviously when there is that little bit or big bit or whatever it was then I feel I need to address it.

“I deal in people in life, whether it’s players and people in the media.

“I’ve spoken to Jane and she wasn’t offended. We had a laugh about it and she will continue to ask me awkward questions I’m sure.

“We have good relations, like I do with most people in my life."

KRS-1888 likes this.
  3. murphy88

So should he still apologise according to some on here?

Crilly, PaulM1888 and bigmac7288 like this.
  4. Darksel

Everyone of yous who got offended on her behalf are cringe as *.

Just as bad as the huns.

JML67, KRS-1888, Hammy89 and 6 others like this.
  5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Kinky.

6. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    That the goal should be scored so late, and that the goal should be scored by non other than BHOYSUKE BHOYYOMURA ✊

Crilly likes this.
  7. Sgt Neppers*

And the Russell Brand, Jonathan Ross * show.

MynameisEarl and Hammy89 like this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Seems a bit oversensitive just now..

Having a little pop at fans for booing the Iwata sub.

NomDePlum likes this.
  9. Sgt Neppers*

10. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Losers honestly.

Darksel likes this.
  11. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Definitely time to move on from this and focus on the run in. The whole incident has been blown way out of proportion.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  12. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think it's a fair comment in the context of what he was saying, that it's a risk when we're chasing the game and booing could have an adverse effect.

13. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    After seeing the video of the interview I'm glad he didn't apologise, mountain out of a molehill.

14. stevoEOS

Why did he feel the need to bring it up though? He’s made a roaring * of things so the fans are understandably disgruntled & felt it was the wrong sub. Think most of us felt it was the wrong sub given MOR & Cal’s performances up to that point. He just needs to shut the * up & get the team performing consistently instead of criticising/questioning the fans imo.

JML67 and JC Anton like this.
  15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Why even mention it tho..

His game management in the 2nd half was excellent, he could have been a little more savvy the way he worded it..

That's the pressure.

stevoEOS likes this.
  16. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's blindingly obvious why the sub was boo'ed, those at the game thought it was the wrong decision.

Probably feeling the pressure. He's been a poor appointment so far. Maybe he's starting to realise he actually has to do something and not take things for granted. At least he explained why he made the sub instead of just criticising it completely. Possibly even a mini acknowledgement.

NakamuraTastic, stevoEOS and JC Anton like this.
  17. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    If Lewis is ok with it no. But after the next game we win with luck in added time she should go, pet him on his back head and say good boy. Based on his comments he would find that totaly acceptable, but I would really love to see his face if that would happen :giggle1:

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye tbf, the sub made sense to me as Iwata was never playing the full 90, considering his lack of game time..

I just think don't mention or if you do, big up the subs you made and impact they made..

Maybe he needs the pressure to bring out a bit of passion as he's been insipid thus far.

NomDePlum likes this.
  19. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Regarding the Jane Lewis thing, I find it absolutely embarrassing that it even made any kind of news.
    A sad reflect on what this cringe worthy world is becoming.

On the substitution and the booing, I wasn't happy when he took Iwata off but we won the game, so what do we know?

20. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I'm pretty sure he would have said 'good boy' to a young male reporter so not sexist just condescending. It's like when they were saying calling female sports stars like the English football team 'girls' was sexist then remembered that they call male football players (and even soldiers) 'boys'.