1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Look at my answer in the context of the post that started this all off. It basically said that it was definitely sexist and that he was starting to dislike Rodgers for this. I don't think there is enough evidence to support that.

You and I both know that managers sometimes use that word "acceptable" to impose standards that they can't or won't justify. Whether something is deemed "acceptable" by the corporate world is immaterial to whether it is sexist or whether it makes someone unlikeable.

2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Context is always essential in these things. Dismissively calling a female reporter “good girl” isn’t the same thing as him calling one of his young players a “good lad/boy”.

It needn’t be a massive thing really. People say dumb * when the pressure is on all the time, and even moreso when a microphone is stuck in front of them.

Hand on heart, I didn’t think her question was particularly loaded. I would actually be interested to know what story has been written about the group, and how his version differs :giggle1:

JML67, Bob Loblaw and NomDePlum like this.
  3. murphy88

Was Kühn his first option? There seems to be a consensus now that he is aiming too high and we can’t the players. So was Kühn someone that the scouts have went to him with and it’s a case of take it or leave it?

4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Fair enough.

On the corporate world point - standards there are largely a reflection of society as a whole. I wouldn’t want to see a daughter, niece, sister etc working in retail/hospitality treated like that. I agree that it doesn’t necessarily mean someone is inherently sexist, but I don’t feel it’s an appropriate way to address someone.

I don’t think it needs to become a massive issue either. It paints him in a bad light - which he’s smart enough to know himself - but it’s not the kinda thing that will ruin him.

Random Review and Bob Loblaw like this.
  5. murphy88

After a crucial win we’re talking about a comment said in response to the interviewer clearly trying to chip away at Rodgers. A comment that will no doubt be blown out of proportion by the same filthy press that some on here are sticking up for. He was undoubtedly condescending to her. Did she merit it, absolutely. There’s a clear agenda amongst some of our fans when it comes to Rodgers. Folk absolutely falling over themselves to nitpick at anything he says and does.

Random Review likes this.
  6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    My main point was it's nothing to do with the "corporate world", but it's generally unacceptable in society now, and has been for some time, decades even. It's not the biggest deal as I said in my post but it's not something I'm going to defend or accept.

Not sure how you reach a point where Rodgers and those who know him decide whether it/he's sexist or not.

Anyway usually happy to respond but really feel this thread is being derailed by all this so sure you'll want a say back but think I'll leave it at that.

King of Kings likes this.
  7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Who knows, but the buck stops with him.

He has stated several times he has the final say on all transfers and ultimately its his job that's on the line.

We all know our whole footballing setup is a shambles and Rodgers is constrained by that..

But, he's too egotistical to say, I'm just a coach and coach the players the club identifies.

It's clear he can't identify talent or if he can, doesn't have the influence to get them in the door. His player knowledge is likely limited to England too, which is a market we can't really afford to do business in.

If we take Kuhn as an example, he wasn't a last minute signing in the window(signed on the 16th Jan) so doubt if it was a take it or leave it.. but so far he looks petrified in a Celtic Jersey..

Gave Rodgers the benefit of the doubt for the Summer window but as stated the January window is on him, especially with his inability to influence what's needed.

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I don't know why we make it so hard to identify talent though that's the thing.

I just don't understand how people paid as highly in the footballing industry can get it so badly wrong when scouting players.

9. Onefootwonder

I don't have a gripe with Rogers so your argument falls flat on its face instantly.

This forum is full of whingers attacking the players, manager, club and board on a weekly basis. The fans at the game were booing Rodgers' decision making. It's bemusing a journalist asking negative questions upsets them. Our own fans are doing exactly the same.

If he can't handle an interview like yesterday performances and results will need to improve vastly and quickly or he will be getting a far tougher time. It wasn't a difficult interview yesterday and it was poor he lost his cool.

The context and manner of a statement means everything. Intentionally using her * to offend and be demeaning is nothing like the VVD clip shared yesterday or when a manager refers to his boys. I don't understand how some people struggle to see the difference.

Do you have a clip where Rodgers has done the same to a male as he did yesterday?

10. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

The comment was out of line, regardless of the loaded questioning.

You just can’t say that kind of thing in this day and age.

King of Kings and The67Sound like this.
  11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Theres so many variables when a player joins a new squad. There was a segment in stick to football when Roy Keane touches on his experiences buying players at Sunderland that is very good. He even mentions WGS and his time at Celtic buying players.
    There are never any guarantees. All we can do is try to minimise the risk that a signing wont flop by doing what background work we can.

12. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    So our manager was a bit condescending to a pushy BBC reporter...*shrugs*

good lad...

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Behave.

JimOfTheJungle and johnboy19 like this.
  14. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

* want to get a grip. * the BBC, and * that wee Hun reporter, she knew exactly what she was doing. * her.

Folk are absolutely desperate to be outraged here.

15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    * her * the BBC * the bra burners and * the huns worlds went PC * mad! You should be able to call anyone what you like, I get called plenty and it's water off a ducks back! Like these programmes "disclaimer it reflects people's thoughts and opinions at the time of first airing" * off man

16. cammy07

If Ange made that sort of comment folk would be lapping it up as him giving the media a bit back. The same was as he used to use ‘mate’ as a way of making a journalist asking a stupid question look like an idiot.

Was it condescending? Absolutely yes, however it was quite obviously intended to be cause he was fed up of her asking him to expand on something he said a number of times he didn’t wish to do. It was in no way sexist or misogynistic as has been suggested.

At this point folk will use anything they possibly can as a stick to beat him with. As a Celtic fan I’m far more concerned at the fact our 3m pound January signing looks completely hopeless rather than a smarmy, condescending comment made to a hun bint journalist who was clearly after a reaction from him.

HoopyT and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Australians use mate more than Glaswegians mate.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  18. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

It's absolutely incredible how much people are desperate to be seen as 'doing the right thing', just to appease others. Fighting over themselves about who's more offended.

* up and gies peace. We've got a title race here, and need all the support together, no gimps trying to beat him with nonsense.

Crilly, johnboy19 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  19. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Exactly. There is a narrative in the media being wrote and a lot of fans also (myself included) and if I am wrong then will be delighted

20. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

I get wanting him out and saying players aren't good enough etc, I'm the same.

But surely people can see that going on about trivial pish like 'good girl' is doing nobody any favours. It's mental.

Crilly and Blochairnbhoy like this.