1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I think the more difficult job will be getting out

Realistically we need 7/8 players coming in, but the quality of those signings will depend massively on how many wages we can free up

2. Foley1888

It is why I think it is imperative that we manage to get a couple of bosmans of the quality of a Casteels type in. Despite being cash rich, realistically how likely is it we spend over £30m. I think even if the board agreed to push the boat out that’s what they will have in mind. As the previous rebuilds of squads have been around £20-25m under Ange and Lennon post Rodgers.

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

GK x2 , LCB, LB, Bernardo, DM, CM (if/when MOR goes), LW/RW, Idah & Miovski..

Kwon, Yang, Holm, Lagerbielke, Montgomery, Kelly & Vata (if the last 2 commit) on loan..

Punt, Oh, Kenny, MJ, Welsh, Siegrist, Tillio and probably a few more I've forgotten..

Edit: Haksabanovic, punt. Kobayashi

Last edited: May 27, 2024
  4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    How not 20 pal?

Hart
    Bain
    Seigreist
    Lagerbielke
    Kobiyashi
    Welsh
    Holm
    Mccarthy
    Yang
    Kwon
    Mikey J
    Hacksaw
    Vata
    Oh
    Lawal
    Kenny
    O'Reily
    Shaw
    Montgomery
    Tilio

Some might be loans but none of them for me should be in our first team pool next season and they are registered first team players

The_Bhoy likes this.
  5. Lewis Kerr

Our transfers since Ange's second season are:

Siegrist
    Bernabei
    Jenz
    Mooy

Haksabanovic
    Abildgaard
    Kobayashi
    AJ
    Iwata
    Oh
    Holm
    Tilio
    Yang
    Kwon
    Nawrocki
    Lagerbielke
    Palma
    Phillips
    Bernardo
    Kuhn
    Idah

22 players signed overall. At a push you could say that 6 of those have been a 'success' so far. But even that's being generous.

That's absolutely shocking and completely unsustainable. We turned it on in the last few months of this season but after reading that list it's clear we've massively gotten away with one yet again. Luckily for us Rangers' recruitment was even worse.

They need to rectify that (and then some) this Summer. But we've been here far too many times to expect anything different unfortunately.

Random Review and NakamuraTastic like this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We won't punt 3 GKs, Bain will be there..

7. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Yeah spot on

Lupis likes this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Mon Celtic get the finger out... :56:

Hammy89 likes this.
  9. celtic warrior

It is funny how we've all said about the squad quality all season is poor.

Yet written out, it really hammers home how bad it is.

If the board were serious, they would be making sure the money is spent to get in 8 players, all with enough talent that could arguably be first team starters and domestically we'd * the next league.

Will they do it though?

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  10. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Aswell as several spl standard 1st teamers we need at least 2 good enough to be in cl squad as 1st choice..mainly defence for me.

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Just on the "power and pace" point I mentioned earlier and for the past 5 years or so...

I thjnk its clear that's the way Clement is wanting to shape the Huns. Players like Sterling.

Obviously we don't play them every week but in the games against them we do need to be able to match up physically at times and I still worry about our ability to do so if he brings in more guys like that.
    That also transfers onto the continent too where a lot of sides are not only technically good but physically superior.

For me it's where guys like Taylor and Scales need to be dropped out. We need to not only be able to play football but be able to stand up when it goes down to pace and stamina.

Hatate for example I really have concerns over. Can't last a 90.

12. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    You need it for Europe as well.

When you are not that good at football but play attacking football in Europe you need to have a wee bit extra about you from set pieces or physically. Like you need to be good at defending counter attacks with fast defenders and you need to defend and attack set pieces well so the "bonus" goals are going in your favour.

We won't defend counters well with Scales and Taylor and we are currently worse than mediocre in the air.

That Bodo/Glimt for example were like land of the giants and very physical and played similar football to us with worse players and ran over the top of us.

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We were just discussing Hatate in his thread, bags of ability. But could Rodgers maybe punt him, he lacks strength and his ball retention is inconsistent, you can imagine Rodgers hating that.

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I like him but wouldn't be against it.

McGregor would play there anyway and will probably need to move further forward over the next few years as he loses pace and is less effective deeper. McGregor probably still scores and assists 20+ a season playing in Hatate or O'Riley position so we don't lose creativity or goals, maybe even gain more.

People have to remember though that Hatate now is only getting fit, he was injured almost all season so the last 10 games are like a pre-season to him. His season was only beginning at the end. Look at Alistair Johnson he was similar, never started training until mid August and having been injured for months and an operation it was probably December/January before he was actually fit.

Was he not out for like 3 month then a few weeks and then like 2 month again, that many set backs are like you've not even been fit for 6 month.

JC Anton likes this.
  15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Only reason I wouldn’t sell Hatate this window is his value is arguably at its lowest point in a Celtic strip. However, if a reasonable bid were to come in for him I reckon we’d be all ears.

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I guess its a gamble selling O'Riley & Hatate..

I think Hatate will be here for another season outwith a big offer..

Random Review likes this.
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'd sell him for a decent price but as Paul says above his value is the lowest its ever been.

Very little rumours of him leaving.

The_Bhoy and JC Anton like this.
  18. Lewis Kerr

Yeah, Bodo embarrassed us from a tactical, technical and physical standpoint.

Leipzig were another, no doubt a good side but nothing special. But the way we got wee guy'd by them and Bodo was pathetic.

Pace and physicality goes a long way in Europe. It's not like we're a team bulging with technical prowess either, we're distinctly average on the ball against any competent European side.

Need to get the recruitment spot on this summer - power, pace and technical ability is essential.

19. saltire78

Because we'll never be able to unload that many... Probably could unload 3 that we don't want to, about another 4-5 on loan (loss on us topping up wages), might have 3-4 out of contract (?). And that would be a good window for actually unloading dross. Rest would require a huge write-off of cost to release/pay off. Our board will never sanction it.

My point wasn't to disagree with what you/we WANT to go out, it was to do with the realism of what we CAN get off the books... And then, they'd panic about the amount needed to backfill, so they'd clamp down on high-end transfers and buy a new load of projects, restarting the cycle...

My point was that we need a multi-window strategy that's laid out/priced out for the board to go along with. Something conservative enough they don't immediately reject it, but which would produce the forward momentum we need. If we got 10 out, and 5 quality additions in, I'd be happy. If we get 4 more out in January and 2 quality in, I'd consider that BRILLIANT business. Go again with about 6-7 out next summer, with 2-3 quality additions, and it would be the catalyst for the kind of squad we would all be "happy" with. Fill the vacuum created with our development/youths, to meet all criteria in Europe and generate the youth development side...

Pie in the sky, probably, but it's my ideal way forward over next 2 seasons

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Aye all those European teams who are not that good but who do well in Europe Leipzig, Atalanta, Roma, Leverkusen this season, West Ham also they are more physical than technical really and they do consistenyly well

Where as when you think of teams who are more like us when they do well theres not many, Ajax when they reached the EL final and then CL semi are one of the only mediocre physical teams who tried to pass the ball on the ground and that like us who have done well. Barcelona in recent seasons are like a better version of us with the same problems and they're near enough useless now in Europe.

Arsenal and Man City as well moved toward more physical units to get better. Two of them now essentially play or would 4 centre-back types with a big midfielder and big forward and both are good from set pieces.

I don't think we will do much about it though, we've really had this problem since Boyata and Dembele left when Rodgers was first in charge.