1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Liam Scales

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Valhalla, Aug 27, 2021.

Discuss Liam Scales in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. OverandOver

Absolutely superb so far.

bhroom likes this.
  2. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    He's on it tonight.

bhroom likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
  6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Thought he played well today. Couple of decisive tackles and played it out well on a number of occasions.

7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hes * brilliant at coming from behind and heading it away when sevco employed long ball park the bus tactics. I can't decide if it's his fault for when he goes to pass and it's * or if every player on the park hides behind the opposition giving him no options...

As a 3rd choice though he's * ace.

bhroom and NomDePlum like this.
  8. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Third choice indeed. Very hard to get a better player than him to be a rotation option. A warrior, just like Tony Ralston.

Damnati, bhroom, Crilly and 2 others like this.
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

No more, please.

Fair play to him for stepping up and doing a job but he's simply not good enough. He looks petrified with the ball at his feet. Some of his passing is * level stuff.

10. saltire78

Hard to say with absolute certainty what we have in him, as I actually think he's just absolutely shattered at this stage... Him and Taylor together on that side is hard to sit through though... Both grand enough, but too weak together...

My lasting memory of today, through my haze, is that Scales ran out of steam in the first half, was ok but risky in the second, and at one point CCV went to pass to him before realising it was risky and playing it back to Hart instead, even though he was obviously clear...

I love him, he tries really hard, but he's squad at best, and we really do need better in that position or alongside him to assist CCV in taking his pressure off...

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    3/4 times he released Maeda up the wing one on one with Tavernier and Maeda punished but didn’t have the end product. He was driving us forward a lot, with little movement ahead of him if Maeda was doubled up on by Sterling. Which was most of the game. Hatate was terrible offering an option, awful. Early doors he tried to find Kyogo’s early runs twice Balogun easily dealt with, but wasn’t ‘amatuer’ passing by any extent. And we stopped it when it wasn’t working - and it looked something we’d planned early doors, probably worked on it thinking it’d be King and Davies. Defensively him and CCV were excellent, and Taylor next to him he had to do the job for two on that side.

Fair enough wanting better, I want another CCV and I really like Scales, but he was * key today along with CCV for us getting a clean sheet under a lot of pressure. CCV though, * monstrous man, I’ve ran out of words to describe him. Last game of the season, and first time it looked a seamless partnership at the back. Shows the injury problems we’ve had all year that.

reillers88 and honda like this.
  12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It was.

He played a few decent matches passes, as anyone should at this level. But the number of times he gives it away under little or no pressure, takes 5 touches when one will do or just looks terrified with the ball at his feet is mental.

One that stands out in the first half was when him and CCV exchanged a few passes, then Scales decided to attempt a ridiculous 5 yard pass between two hun players to McGregor. Of course he gave it away needlessly and they got a cheap corner from it.

Taylor is a massive weak link as well but Scales is the most pressing issue there for me at the moment. Teams are letting him have the ball because he’s so poor on it. CCV is by no means great with the ball at his feet but he looks like VVD next to Scales.

13. Damnati

I accept the criticism for the most part, but I do think anybody would be terrified with the ball when no * is showing for it. Hatate and O'Riley could be our best players but they were non existent today.

CCV Incredible as always but I do think Scales is asked to do the heavy lifting in terms of playing out.

NomDePlum and thailandceltic like this.
  14. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    He’s actually better at the long diagonal passes than the wee dinky 5 yard passes, having the ball in tight spaces and making 5 yard passes gives me the fear. Like he sclaffs them.

15. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Other than his short passing there isn't a whole lot wrong with his game.. if he brushed up on that he'd be a cracking player

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He's a decent backs to the wall defender I'd say. And he's more than played his part this season.

But we should be striving for better.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We should always be striving for better, be looking as much as we possibly can for someone who’d make CCV 2nd choice back there to partner him.

We should always be striving to get better than anyone playing, whether thats possible is another story. Comes from odd places sometimes as well, remember the * when Mooy signed. And ge rightfully replaced O’Riley for a time.

GK, CB, LB of a very high quality is a must in summer. But now the seasons ended, surely * instead of throwing * at Scales need to applaud just what he’s done for us this year. We would have been * without him. Coming in from what? 7th? Maybe even 8th choice, to holding a threadbare, patched up, half fit defence together for long periods of the season fair enough want better but that’s something dreams are made of. Well done to him, don’t understand why * would rather complain than applaud it. £8m spent on CB’s and it was a guy with his foot out the door, most never thought as an option that done it.

NomDePlum and Slaw like this.
  18. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

It’s a season he will never forget that’s for sure

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Probably still gets the fear hearing the name Nat Phillips

20. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This.

Out of the company I was in for the final it was an even split right down the middle.

I personally think he's an absolute bombscare.

Fine as a third choice SPL defender, but if he starts games in the CL we are going to get absolutely rinsed.