1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Bernardo

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 1, 2023.

Discuss Paulo Bernardo in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. saltire78

Gotta disagree with you here, if we got both for ~£10M I'd grab it with both hands...

2. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

I think it’s a no brainer to sign him personally.

Like some have already said he is Portugal U21 captain so they clearly rate him as well.

Get it done.

3. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    They're proven they can do it here. You risk it by thinking you can sign better (defo with our record and trying to do it on the cheap)

4. boylebhoy95

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    I’ve always loved him. Has so much dig. Should get more game time.

5. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Aye thats fair. I'm not set on my opinion on him, I'm just not 100% convinced. Happy to be wrong about it.

6. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Give this boy a bit of responsibility and he will thrive. A star in the making.

Slaw, Damnati, Crilly and 3 others like this.
  7. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Id be more than happy to make him permanent if the fee is right. Plenty to work with technically and seems to have a good head on his shoulders and good family around him .. would defo improve

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  8. stevoEOS

I can see where you’re coming from but ultimately we’ve spunked far too much money on dross & with these guys we know what we’re getting. Could we get better for the money? Probably yes (if we had a proper recruitment set up/structure in place which we don’t) but given the money we have in the bank & due to come in from CL, it’s now a no brainer to buy him & Idah given the significant contributions they’ve both made. They’ve made a massive difference to the squad & for that reason, we have to pay the money imo.

NakamuraTastic and martin_d like this.
  9. Lewis Kerr

He's a must sign him imo. With O'Riley/Hatate potentially going we need someone who can come in straight away and compete. It's a cliché but he knows the club and is settled here now.

And let's be honest he's better than so many midfielders we've signed over the years: Shaw, McCarthy, Ideguchi, Soro, Abildgaard, Iwata, Kwon etc. There's plenty more too. It's a position we routinely * up on.

He's not really been given massive amounts of game time either but done pretty well overall and chipped in with some key goals/assists.

More than anything I like his passion. Get the deal done, it makes sense.

10. gary88

Actually best argument for signing him I've seen forgot some of the duds we signed in midfield over the years

NakamuraTastic and Lewis Kerr like this.
  11. Damnati

I think he's a bit underappreciated in an almost Joe Ledley-esque sense.

He's not O'Riley but I think we need to accept we aren't going to get an identical player. Bringing Bernardo in as a known quantity with potential along with a couple of others would suit me.

12. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

He was fantastic when he came on, and with limited game time.

He has no real weaknesses. He’s at the very least competent in every attribute required to be a central midfielder for us.

He came on as a sub around 25 mins for Hatate against either Lazio or Atletico Madrid and he settled instantly.

We should definitely sign him. All of our best central midfielders in the last few decades excel in a few areas and are complemented by their teammates.

Not many players have all the basics at an early age. He’ll be a quality player under the right circumstances.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    And at points this season we’ve seen him playing with confidence and flying, unstoppable for short bursts. Then back to a basic all round level of competence, and doing the simple things right.

Think after a year settling in here, adapting and needing to step up and be relied on with MOR most likely away, we could see a special player. 3 times against the Huns he’s made a big difference and had match winning moments. 2-1 new year, in the 3-3 Hun game (should have been a match winner, for Idah 3-2) and that today.

His strength and drive for the winner, when he could have easily have went down for the easy foul (something that gets thrown at Portuguese players quite rightly at times) but he brushed aside the tackle, absolutely making sure to stay on his feet and drive forward. And didn’t * up his shot either, something that seems basic that but we’ve seen a million times over them being balooned in pressure situations.

He’s reliable as *. Another year I think he could be exceptional

14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Made a big difference when introduced yesterday.
    The only player to get a shot off and look what happens.
    I was not sold on him initially-especially when he was thrown in for European games and when Reo was injured, he didn't exactly grab his chance but having seen some glimpses of him throughout the season, reckon he is worth a punt.
    Could be a ready made replacement for Matt, no bedding in period.
    BR must have seen something in him to throw him into those big Eu games.
    6M is probably a realistic fee, giving his potential.

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I really like him, and as in the Idah thread, I'd be signing both of those at £5m a piece.

We need to get out of this mindset that a price like that is steep in this day and age. We have the money there to sign them both and still invest further. We could just as easily waste two thirds of that on inferior players.

16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I don't care if it's £6m for a bench player. We need impact players. We need players as good as the starting 11. He is so imo that's why we should buy. It's not just about strengthening the first 11 but the entire squad. He can be our "project" thatll just get better. Then we add even better qaulity to the sqaud aswel. That's how we improve.

17. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I’m going to be honest, I still don’t think we should pay £6m for him.

Delighted with his contribution yesterday but he’s not shown me enough this season that’s warrants a £6m price tag. Nowhere near it to be honest.

This goes hand in hand with the fact that if we do spend £6m on him, he will be O’Rileys replacement and that’s a major problem for me.

Too many arguments on here are pure nonsensical for signing him too. ‘He’s at least a competent midfielder’… £6m on a competent midfielder? Seriously? ‘He’s better than midfielders like Shaw, McCarthy, Ideguchi, Soro, etc’… none of them were £6m. He’s not been better than Hatate at £1.5m, Iwata at £1.5m, O’Riley at £1.5m…

Our recruitment being * the last 4 windows isn’t a reason to sign him. Improve the recruitment. He’s not been good enough for the fee mentioned. More than happy to negotiate it and see where we go from there but at £6m and owning only 70% of the player? Absolutely not worth it.

Sgt Neppers* and PaddyJamieson like this.
  18. kenniemk2

I think he’s as close to oriley as we are gonna get tbh also I think he has some strengths Oriley doesn’t way he rided that tackle yesterday and burst on I don’t think Oriley has that pace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

honda likes this.
  19. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Cannot wait for him to void everything you've ever said about him. 6 mil will prove to be a bargain, mark my words.

NakamuraTastic and honda like this.
  20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Wonder what the last under 21 Portugal captain sold for?