1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    He's been tasked with keeping the players out of the disco at 3am and off the ski slopes

Yes this is true

:56:

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  2. JamesM09

I’m more focused on the upcoming 10 season

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I really admire his willingness to try something different in Greece and Romania. I really hope he can be successful. Love the guy.

The_Bhoy, Sean Daleer, Pogues and 4 others like this.
  5. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye, best of luck to him. Hope it works oot fer Lenny. :50:

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    "hello rappeeed"

He's gonna do the accent thing, ain't he?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

NakamuraTastic and Lewis Kerr like this.
  7. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!

Peej likes this.
  8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I think he thrives abroad in a personal sense.

Different environment, learning new things, cleansing the soul. He deserves it.

I've got my own theory on the COVID season and I think someone should have stepped in much sooner.

He still has some outrageous opinions but he wouldn't be Lennon otherwise. We aren't a hive mind as Celtic supporters.

What the man went through to play for and manage us for as long as he did, in the face of the most vile abuse and actual threats of death, I think he deserves a bit more respect than he is getting.

We forgave Rodgers quick style. Lennon should command much more respect.

Good luck Neil.

The_Bhoy, Pogues, eire4 and 3 others like this.
  9. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    He's admitted himself he's went there cos works dried up for him here

Peej likes this.
  10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Looking back on the covid season I can imagine a big problem being who the * was going to come in and be manager. Nobody was upping sticks that season to move to Scotland, nobody who I would have wanted by the summer anyway. By Summer 21 and things were a bit more back to normal it was probably a lot easier. Had it been another season, I think he would have been gone sooner and actually replaced the same season. Then again had Covid not happened I think we win the league that season, or at least not capitulated in the same style.

I've forgiven him now, after thinking about the situation. I didn't straight away because he spent a year or two spouting bitterness about it. He seems to be a bit more smiley and positive about the club.

11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I 100% agree with all of that, mate. I have forgiven Rodgers, because he has earned it; but for me personally, I've never felt that Lenny had anything to forgive.

He had 1 bad year and 5 and a half outstanding years as a manager. I wish I was good enough at my job to have a 5.5-1 ratio of excellent outcomes to poor ones! That's before you even factor in his playing years! Once you factor those in...

No, everyone screws up sometimes and it is no surprise to me that Lenny, with all the mental health problems he has had, screwed up in precisely that Covid year. Nothing there to forgive.

The_Bhoy, Pogues, eire4 and 2 others like this.
  12. PaddyJamieson

Well said, mate.

eire4 and Sean Daleer like this.
  13. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    You’re completely right and I totally agree, but I think for some fans it being the 10 in a row season is why it’s hard to forgive for them. If we had gone 1 - 1 with rangers in titles, then Lenny losing one with no real linear consequence it wouldn’t be viewed as bad at all. But I think the fact it was the 10 is the only real reason for them

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    A competent board would have had him out by October at the latest. He was bung out to dry, and the CEO decided by January just to announce he was * off, and he was there to face it all on his own. He didn’t face it well in the slightest but it’s largely forgot about how much cowardice was shown by everyone else that loves the plaudits when all is going well.

And Lenny not taking a shred of responsibility and blaming everyone except those in power at the club and himself, long after it was done and dusted and he was away didn’t help. It turned me on him, and I was 100% the biggest fanboy.

But, if he left in October, no Ange. And * the 10, I wouldn’t trade Anges 5 trophies and watching that week in, week out for even that league trophy.

15. Pogues

Not going to go into it all again fully as it's been done to death but the main reason we lost the 10 was that the huns had a one off exceptional season. Lennon stepping down in October would not have stopped that.

Lennon took exception to the bitter abuse he got from celtic fans, which was well ott, and called it out. He was right to do so.

Morcombe and Double Dutch like this.
  16. celtic20

The 10 would've been cool and was something we all wanted.

But having Rangers fans and only Rangers fans have to admit that we're the most successful club in world football? * me that's the ultimate bragging rights.

17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm fine with Lennon but saying that Rangers team were exceptional or had an exceptional season is just not true.

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It wasn't the fact we lost the ten for me, it was the way he acted about it. Refusing to take any blame throughout the entire season.

The vast majority of the fans knew the issues in October that season, he refused to accept anything was wrong or remotely hold his hands up.
    That continued for far too long, to the point they deservedly got abuse (within reason I'm not condoning actual abuse on individuals, but I mean as a team etc).
    He then continued against the fans, claiming the fans voice was worthless and sticking the boot back in.
    I get he needs to defend himself and the team, but the way he done it was not right for a manager.

Top it all off he actively went ball deep to defend the board and lawwell knowing it would * the fans off.

He has/had very little time for us. Still refuses to accept any responsibility for that season or the way he acted

Lossing it was one thing. The way he acted about that season, then towards the fans, ruined the respect and opinion of him.

All said and done, good luck to the lad in Romania. A mental place to have to go to in an effort to revitalise his managerial career, but perhaps that's more telling on how he's looked upon in the UK for the time being as a manager.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

19. celtic20

I think we tend to look beyond this because of how we imploded that season.

They were extremely ruthless that year and it was a * of a season and achievement for them. That said, I think they fed off of us massively that year. If we hadn't have imploded so easily, I think they would've dropped a lot more points.

Pogues likes this.
  20. Pogues

We're they not unbeaten in the league?