1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers wants to add strength to his Celtic squad heading into next season as champions.

The Hoops lifted the Premiership trophy this term with an eight point gap over rivals Rangers. It was comfortable in the end for the Northern Irishman and his squad but if fans look back to the January transfer window they'll surely remember the nerves creeping in about their club's chances of retaining their title.

Adam Idah was considered a panic loan up front as the Irishman arrived on loan from Norwich City while no left-back walked through the Parkhead gates despite months of searching and checking on targets

With the Champions League group stage guaranteed for Celts this coming campaign, Rodgers will need reinforcements if he is to realistically compete for points and prize money

The champions have cash to spend and Rodgers wants readymade stars to come in and help challenge those in place already.

Football Scotland understands the priorities for the club are clear. A Joe Hart goalkeeper replacement is an obvious one. The Englishman is retiring but has been number one for three seasons and will take a big personality to come up trumps and take his spot. Ben Siegrist will also depart the club and that means it's two stoppers the Hoops are looking for. Football Scotland understands the plan is to pay less cash for an older goalie should that be the man they identify in scouting circles

2. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The article contradicts itself. If we have cash to spend, we would not be paying less cash for an older goalie. Of course, we're not skint- the cash is locked away.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  3. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think there has to be a degree of realism. The reality is that there are plenty of goalkeepers out there who are cheap/older.. like Hart and let’s be honest, Butland, who are able to come in, show some leadership to a squad who needs help on that front. Hart wasn’t just a decent enough goalkeeper, he was a huge presence in the changing room.

The best goalkeeper we have been linked with so far has been Casteels. He’s free. We don’t need to spend big on a goalkeeper. What we need is a good goalkeeper and there are plenty for them kicking about.

4. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Agree, keeper is the one area we always need experience. Dont need a youngster to try make money on. And also no one will sign a keeper from us for big £’s who faces ex English league 1 strikers most games….

id like us to keep the model of mostly signing keepers above 28+ with a good CV and mentality

AdamRS likes this.
  5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Thays definitely what we need to do and it should be part of the overall restructure.

7 scouts isn't enough either. We really need to invest in that area.

Sgt Neppers*, JC Anton and Hammy89 like this.
  6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think we have to spend serious money to get such a keeper. I don't like the idea of signing a keeper that can last max 3 seasons.

7. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Getting 3 seasons out of all our players would be good. We didn’t even get 3 seasons out of Jota. A more experienced goalkeeper who is looking to play games and earn a decent living is where we should be heading.

I wouldn’t be against the young Aston Villa goalkeeper we were linked with, to come in with someone like Casteels but the reality is it’s difficult to give both games and keep both happy.

NakamuraTastic and The_Bhoy like this.
  8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Football Scotland is a hun rag! Spouts regurgitated stories and wild speculation.

We will go about our business quietly but hopefully more strategy in terms of first 11 quality rather than squad quality

9. jambo_cfc

Yeah I’m happy for someone like casteels to come in if it meant we spent more money on other positions we need to improve on. I won’t be surprised if we made 35-45m in transfer fees this year with oreilly leaving and probably frimpong money coming in plus a few squad players , if Celtic even spent £30m of that on a lb , cb , cm , rw , striker is be happy , so casteels makes sense on a free as it would allow more money on other positions, he’s a good goalkeeper so not as if we are potentially signing him for the sake of it

Peej and The_Bhoy like this.
  10. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    most keepers these days play til they’re 36 at the minimum so if we got someone over 30….theres potential for 6 years if it was worth it to us and them.

we spent what £1 mil on hart, and the huns got butland on a free? we don’t need to spend lots on a keeper to get someone good.

and also like Celticdaft says we rarely get even 3 seasons out of someone with a sell on value so the older we get a keeper the less likely he’s gonna want to leave

NakamuraTastic and Peej like this.
  11. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Early day but the transfer threads are giving me the fear way too early ffs!.

12. celtic warrior

I don't want to get too excited because we all know how this board works.

In that we only really spend exactly what we sell, very rarely do we ever go over a real net spend of £10million+, well, that is how it feels at least.

Off the back of money in the bank and likely sales and sell on % we receive from other ex players it would be nice if we do a break even and see £50million get spent... really hone in om specific spots that need the big money investment, like sourcing a CCV equivalent, even if it is a loan to buy priced at £8mill.

We don't have to go crazy in this market as there are homegrown players like Doig that can be bought in a decent price thanks to relegation from Serie A.

Dream window
    Casteels - free but big wage
    Doig - no idea really but under £6mill?
    Auston Trusty (fellow USA international CB?) - relegated with a dour Sheff Utd, surely we can get him for under £8mill
    Milan Van Ewijk as a possible option for competition at RB - fairly new signing at Coventry so could come at a premium but still should be attainable around £7mill

Lennon Miller should be the one project we sign for midfield £3million
    Albert Grønbæk would be THE summer signing if we could pull that off - £11million

Miovski and Idah both signed as well. Together we should be able to sign both for £12mill all in

For wing positions I'm honestly stuck I don't event know where to begin with that

Weirdly that is 8 players which seems like a lot but when we think about how poor our strength in depth has been we really do need some quality in to help maintain a league run and be respectable in Europe.

That is close to around a £50mill spend, problem is I don't think many will really like seeing those types of figures getting spent if it ain't on some more household names

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    Creativecelt likes this.
  13. calmac23

Trusty is a shocking defender. If we spend any money on him at all it’d be a colossal failure, £8m would be criminal.

I don’t hate some of the other suggestions but also don’t think the likes of Doig or Van Ewijk are massive improvements on what we already have.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. celtic warrior

See I'm torn on Trusty because I feel like the same was said about CCV in that he had some truly honking loan spells before eventually finding his feet with us.

I don't remember the fan base being over enamoured by his signing to start off with.

But of course just because we had joy with CCV means absolutely * all with a different CB.

I feel like Doig and the conventry lad do atleast offer strong rotation option and it is odd because with our money I feel like we would struggle still, to find definite improvements in the full backs

15. Belgian_lad

Season is over, time to bump this thread! Time to get some exciting new bodies in!

16. Cobbs67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy and Danny
    Just go out and back the manager for once so we can go and try compete in the champions league

cidermaster and Belgian_lad like this.
  17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Would like to see loans for Kwon, Yang, Holm & Lagerbielke.

Would punt Oh, Tilio, Siegrist, Haksabanovic, Kobayashi, Bernabei & Kenny.

Torn on Mickey Johnston, probably need to punt..

Would like to see Bonsun Lawwell in the squad, with maybe a 6 month loan to another SPFL side.

A lot of deadwood to shift.

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We signed anyone yet?

Rydo1888*, Creativecelt and Hammy89 like this.
  19. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What's everyone goanny be raging about this year when we bring in some quality players and spend plenty? Will the idea that 'the board' don't want success be taking a back seat till such times as we have another poor transfer window?

20. Mr Diggler

We seemed very interested in Owen Beck in January so wouldn't be suprised if we ask the question of Liverpool in regards signing him. Could potentially be an excellent signing with his potential. We obviously need a goalie. If rumours are correct Scott McKenna is all but done bar a few minor issues. Surely signing Idah and Bernardo are no brainers. Should we miss out on Idah then Miovski would do as an alternative. We need a winger whose strength is on the one on one situations.

Hopefully we see some ambition from the Board this summer. It is needed. 3- 4 good signings and we will be a far better side next season.

The_Bhoy likes this.