1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Bodo players don't seem to travel well anyway

martin_d and Hammy89 like this.
  2. apevrak

True :86: Although Boniface on the Leverkusen bench tonight has had a decent season.

3. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Don't see why he wouldn't tbh.

We have a record of taking players on and moving them on to the top leagues.

You're probably right though.

4. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    No I don’t think we could afford him.

The Prof likes this.
  5. apevrak

He just signed a bumper deal, probably not far off what we could offer wage wise. Coming to us would probably be seen as a side step sporting wise. We would have to break our transfer record and wage record to try lure him here, which Lawwell won't sign off on in a million years.

I would rather we focus on Sverre Nypan if we're going shopping in Norway.

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    When you say bumper, how much?

Surely not as much as we are paying CCV etc.

7. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I forgot we're due £3m for Tillman's move to PSV.

Hopefully, Ferguson moves to Juventus so we can get our sell on fee from that deal, too.

steg, Creativecelt and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  8. celtic warrior

Someone like Grønbæk is where we should be aiming.

That fine line where we see signs of quality player, playing in a level of a league that could mean they don't get the full attention they probably would have if they were doing similar things in a more recognised league.

If we could pull of a signing like him, I'd fully buy into him being the marquee signing for a lack of better term.

We should really be looking to try and steal some signings around that level now.

Because whether we like it or not, and I know it is massively risky as well, but if we can pull off those levels of signings, and just squeak through to next round in CL, then sadly those players likely get sold by the club next season anyway for north of £30mill each.

It won't always be exactly like that of course but we need to start taking those risks and getting in players of the levels of a Grønbæk

NakamuraTastic, Crilly and Hammy89 like this.
  9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I doubt they have given him more than 10kpw, maybe 15kpw at a push. Him signing an extension is probably him doing them a favour so they can sell him for more.

10. limezer

I just hope we are pro active early on in the window, get the majority of players we want early so that they can be ready for the start of the season. If it's back to Lawwells tactics of last minute signings on deadline day he's got to go.

Belgian_lad and Hammy89 like this.
  11. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think a lot of that has to do with the moves they make. Plenty of our top guys have went and failed elsewhere, simply because they didn't make the correct moves. Eddy is a prime example, probably the best striker we have had since Larsson and he goes to a club who are famous for being incredibly defensive. Hooper was another one.

Berg went to Lens who barely controlled the ball, Solbakken went to Roma under Mourinho, who plays *, negative football, Botheim went to Russia, where scoring goals outside of the big 3 is pretty much non existent, Hauge joined Milan at far too young an age, was too big a step and I'd actually still take him now to be honest.

Some of their latest sales are doing ok though. Vetlesen is a main player in the Club Brugges team, Moumbagna has had a pretty good start at Marseille since he joined in January, Boniface is obviously flying since he left and Joel Mvuka looks as if he will be moving to Young Boys from Lorient on a permanant deal this summer.

calmac23 likes this.
  12. Belgian_lad

I am with you on this one. We have planning certainty with guaranteed champ lg income. So no reason not to habe a few good/new bodies in for start of training!

limezer likes this.
  13. T.Rogne25

Have just read we have 30 odd first team players and thats not including young boys like Kelly and Vata or loan players which is genuinely unbelievable.

Need to aim to shift a fair few of them before bringing players in I’d imagine. Can’t keep stockpiling that much that you actually forget some are with us.

How do you even put sessions on with over 30 players.. The club may need to learn to take a bad deal for once to cut the numbers, turning down a few hundred thousand for McCarthy in January being a perfect example.

NakamuraTastic and steg like this.
  14. apevrak

I don't have the exact numbers, but it's rumoured to be close to the highest a player has ever been payed in Norway. Bendtner was supposedly on £20k a week at Rosenborg, so I imagine Grønbæk's wages is somewhat close to that.

CCV and McGregor will be on higher wages surely, maybe around £40k? I think we would need to offer something in that area and even then we would be competing with clubs with wage structures beyond our limit, hence why I think we need to go above and beyond if we ever where to go for him.

He would be the perfect fit if O'Riley leaves.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think CCV is on even more than that. Rumours of him being £50k+ based on the new contract. Mcgregor I'd say similar.

I don't think we have as much of a stringent structure anymore so long as it's the right player.

16. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Never knew there were rumours it was as high as 50k. Don't get me wrong, CCV and McGregor 100% deserve that, I'd even be happy with them both on 60, but I thought we'd be keeping it around the 40k mark at most.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He would have been on mid 20s at spurs. Then we sign him that contract would probably go close to 40 in itself. Then he signed the extension.

Also plenty of suggestions that Edouard, Dembele and Sinclair were all on significantly more than 40k. We had to offer Dembele a fair amount up front.

I don't think we stick to the 40k as rigidly as in the past.

18. Foley1888

I have no inside knowledge on wages but it wouldn’t surprise me if most of those players who signed new deals got some sort of signing on fee and in some cases a considerable one.

In the interim accounts it spoke of a £23m spend on players and Lawell listed the contract renewals as being part of that. Plus our actual transfer spend given Holm, Iwata, and Tilio at least were in last years numbers wasn’t as much as that, it would have been nearer £15-17m.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Just sincerely * hope we spend some serious money for once. A couple of 8-10m players and a few 5-6m players scattered in there is all I ask.

Obviously it’s not all about the money spent and if we find someone we really fancy for peanuts, go for it. We just really need to be pushing the boat out where possible and backing the manager. We missed out on Castagne and McGinn last time Rodgers was here. Don’t let that * happen again. If expensive players worth the money are available and open to coming, make it happen.

That title race was pretty exciting and fun to be involved in. However, there’s no reason whatsoever for us to find ourselves in a title race again for the next few years at least. We need to be stamping on hun throats and setting ourselves apart with some proper performances in Europe.

Peej likes this.
  20. Ak1

upload_2024-5-24_10-4-51.png

Peej likes this.