1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Irakli Azarovi

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Danny88, May 22, 2024.

Discuss Irakli Azarovi in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

so he's the Georgian Greg Taylor?

pass.

2. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

AJ is apparently only 5ft9

That and his lack of recovery pace.

calmac23 likes this.
  3. calmac23

People overlook this way too much - his lack of pace is a far bigger issue than him being small

Fontaine likes this.
  4. Foley1888

Not saying he is the answer but he doesn’t play anything like Taylor. He has pace and dribbling ability to beat men easily. Is good on the ball. The worry for me would be the defensive side of his game. He is very much an attacking full back.

So barring similar height and build he plays nothing like Taylor. The biggest limiting factor Taylor has is for a small guy he has no pace whatsoever. It’s unusual in the professional game these days to have a player with no positive physical attributes.

5. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

We have a habit of buying totie players probably won’t change.

6. kenniemk2

Only thing a can think of as a counter argument is maybe their owner concentration is elsewhere just now all his assets in Donbas region have been confiscated by the Russians who he used to support and his resources are being used elsewhere just now in the east of Ukraine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Similar in build and a similar lack of defensive ability doesn't solve our issues in that position though. Would prefer someone similar to Ralston/Johnston at LB with a good amount of physicality and they can also play to a relatively good level on the ball. Taylor is good going forward domestically tbh, just gets found out in Europe when he needs to get up and down the flank more.

8. Foley1888

I would prefer a more physical profile as well don’t get me wrong.

Reading the profile of Azarovi, I would say he is more like an Izzy profile when we first signed him. Very good at taking players on, has good pace and engine to get up and down the left hand side and a good 1v1 defender. Isn’t the biggest is his limiting factor as we have discussed.

I have to admit I think it’s a non starter as not sure why Shakhtar would sell their first choice left back for an affordable fee. If there is big 5 league interest he is more likely to go there.

On Taylor he is a decent passer of the ball if it is right infront of him but his crossing is hit or miss, he more often than not takes the easy 5-10 yard option and isn’t the best passer as he often plays it to the weaker foot of his intended target. He has the odd cracking defence splitting pass in him but largely they miss their target or he plays the easy option.

Taylor nearly never progresses the ball with ball carrying which is the opposite of Azarovi. He also hardly ever supports the winger in attack by overlapping, although he sometimes makes decent underlapping runs.

There is actually a Cameroonian left back playing for another Ukrainian team who I think could be an interesting option that has that physicality called Yvan Dibango, who has more of a presence but still has good attacking qualities.

Last edited: May 23, 2024
    Belgian_lad and JML67 like this.
  9. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I have this argument nearly every week with folk. Lack of height isn't solely the issue (this can be attributed to a few positions in the side) - Taylor gets targeted because he has no recovery pace which is shown up even more due to how far up the pitch he plays.

neilly1987 and calmac23 like this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Taylors lack of height and power doesn't help either though at times. E.g. the Huns goal the other week.

As mentioned it's hard to find a left back who's both physically imposing and good going forward within our budget, though.

But even if we find a smaller player who is faster and a bit more physical than Taylor it would be an improvement.

neilly1987 likes this.
  11. T.Rogne25

Seem to be sticking to the profile of 21-24 and recent international recognition if this has anything in it.

Know nothing about him so can’t really say but find it quite strange he isn’t considered good enough for the EURO 2024 squad.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  12. superhans

Our fanbase are hilarious, we want to play the celtic way but with giants. He's 2 inches taller than Roberto Carlos and the same height as Denis Irwin, 2 of the best fullbacks of my teenage years.

13. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    You can be 5ft 8 and powerful, shouldn’t turn our nose up at everyone that height. Not seen the lad play or anything, but there’s some strong left backs around that height that are units and can get up and down the line at speed and are proper athletes. Even in an aerial sense they can hold their own.

Greg lacks a bit of physicality and recovery’s speed, which would be two attributes I hope we’re looking for.

murphy88, Mr Shelby and T.Rogne25 like this.
  14. Champions0607

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace

Aye but Roberto Carlos weighed about 45 stone. * was an absolute monster

kenniemk2 likes this.
  15. murphy88

Bingo

MynameisEarl likes this.
  16. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I know * all about this lad, bring him home.

steg likes this.
  17. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I just want to know who is scouting all these players, since supposedly we can't possibly do it without a DoF and head of recruitment, as well as a big network of scouts, on the books? Weird.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Exactly...

Probably means it's pish..

19. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :giggle2:

JC Anton likes this.
  20. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player: