1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Again hypothetically what happens in the scenario CalMac gets injured on International duty, Abildgaard comes in after the break and performs the 6 position much more efficiently than CalMac given Abildgaard is a natural 6 unlike CalMac, what then?

2. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Abildgaard is a natural 6, CalMac isn't, I would like to see the natural 6 get a run of games in his best position, Abildgaard, Hatate and O'Riley, no time for sentiment in football, if the squad know even the captain isn't immune from the bench for a spell it will up the levels even more

George Theodorou likes this.
  3. EddieBhoy1986

What like CalMac got injured last season? How did that work out?

The answer to your question is self evident.

But the real question is why are you chomping at the bit for our captain and (I'll say it again) our most important player to get injured? Ange's system does not require a natural 6, what CalMac does in that position is unique and will be almost impossible for a natural 6 to replicate unless they posses his speed and lightning quick reactions. Nothing I've seem of Abildgaard suggests he does.

4. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Already explained why countless times, CalMac isn't a natural 6 and never will be a natural 6, I want to see what a natural 6 like Abildgaard can do in his same position

Too many fans let personal feelings for players get in the way of rational thinking, such as your 'unique' comment on what CalMac brings to the team, unique means one of a kind, are you seriously telling me no other player in world football could play the position better than CalMac currently plays it for us?

Oh and never once did I say I want CalMac to get injured so don't dare suggest such a thing, learn to read properly, I gave you a hypothetical scenario in what woud happen should he pick up an injury because it looks like injury is the only way Abildgaard will get an opportunity atm, however I would much rather Abildgaard started in the 6 role after the break with CalMac providing a great option to have from the bench.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    Lewis Kerr likes this.
  5. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    hypothetically, it would be good if a Celtic fan didn’t spend his time writing the same comment about how he wants our captain and one of our most important players out the team.

lennon11 and EddieBhoy1986 like this.
  6. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Callum is the best player in Scotland, simple as. To want him benched is insane.

7. EddieBhoy1986

We just came off a year long domestic winning streak through out which Cal was our strongest player more often than not. Wanting him to continue in that role and not dreaming up scenarios where he has a season ending injury just "to see" if another player is better than him isn't about emotions it's rational thought.

8. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Wow thats a shocking statement

9. EddieBhoy1986

I have heard some bananas takes from Celtic fans over the years but willing for our best player to be benched "just to see" if another player can be better than him is up there. We just dropped 3 needless points loosing the advantage gained against Rangers 2 weeks ago because Ange decided to move Cal from our 6 position. We can experiment again later in the season or on cup games.

10. StevieBhoooy!

Got the Australian trip to fark about with that sort of stuff as well if wished…

11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Also depends what system you play and at what stage of the game you play it, to accomodate both of them on the pitch. Calmac can also play in Hatate's position with his eyes closed.

As regards to Abildgaard, I wish him well, but - we have not seen him play yet and he will need to acclimatise himself to the way Celtic play. Starfelt took ages to come good. Let's not jump the gun here.

Calmac is captain and has earned it. He can play football - he epitomises Celtic. It is not about players losing their position, its about the squad getting stronger.

12. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

Calmac naturally gravitates to the left-mid on the field during a game, so Abildgaard, depending on the team we play and the situation we face, may play from the start or come on later in the game, with Hatate coming off. In a 4-4-2 it could fit all three on the pitch.

Two players for each position ? Hatate/Calmac - Calmac/Abildgaard - Abildgaard/Mooy - O'Riley/Turnbull etc. I can't see anyone apart from Calmac to fit into Hatate's position if Reo can't play and have similar qualities.

13. Patrick Bateman

Didn't we hear the same * spouted about Broony for a couple of seasons too? I got sick to back teeth of calling people out for that nonsense at the time. Now it seems CalMac is the heir to Broony's throne as some sort of untouchable in our team.

I'm a fan of Calmac, but to consider him un-droppable is foolish talk.

And yes, it's certainly true, CalMac is not a natural in that position. He has adapted very well to it in a creative sense, but his positional play defensively isn't at the level some people seem to think. His defensive instincts are also not particularly outstanding - that poorly timed lunge in the Shakhtar game being a good example of what I'm talking about.

I'm sure people will throw all sorts of stats and data at me, just like many did with Broony at the time. But it's always been the case that you can dress statistics up to suit your specific argument, particularly when we're completely dominant in many games in the spfl.

Even some of the most attack-minded teams in the world still play with a dedicated DM to screen in front of the backline. We don't partly because we don't need to in most domestic games, but also likely because Ange hasn't managed to find the right one to compliment our midfield. (that's a guess on my part)

No harm in trying different options. There's no-one in this team that is un-droppable or irreplaceable. There is only a small handful of players in game who deserve that status imo.

RogicHasMagicToes likes this.
  14. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    And more good news...or should I say..'it's a load of bollocks'

Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou is under "serious scrutiny" by Leicester City should they dismiss former Parkhead boss Brendan Rodgers, according to reports in England, the Australian having been an early favourite to replace Graham Potter at Brighton & Hove Albion before the appointment of former Shakhtar Donetsk head coach Roberto De Zerbi. (The Scotsman)

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Patrick Bateman

Could be worse, if nobody was looking at our manager with envious eyes... it probably means we're doing rubbish. lol

Just so long as we don't do a swap deal for Rogers! :101:

17. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Grass isn't always greener in EPL unless you are in one of the top 7/8 clubs. They will be poaching him now knowing fine well he won't go anywhere with CL still happening. Summer is perhaps going to be a bit of a challenge to retain our manager and star players should they fall under the spell of the EPL circus.

18. EddieBhoy1986

Good point, plenty of time to give him a run out without Cal getting injured!

19. EddieBhoy1986

Turnbull rotates with Hatate on the left, Mooy with O'Riley on the right atm. That's the position in midfield that needs the most attention. To go from having Rogic and O'Riley to choose from to O'Riley and Mooy is a big step down in quality.

20. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Ange picks the team and he got his selection wrong. To be honest, I don’t think that’s even debatable.

Playing Mooy from the start against a packed defence in a game where we’d dominate possession regardless was a poor choice. That played a huge part in our tempo dropping way below our usual standard and in turn made us far more predictable and easy to defend against. That’s before even mentioning the lack of mobility and energy in a midfield consisting of both Mooy and Turnbull.

I also wouldn’t be surprised at all if we don’t see the Abada and Maeda combination again anytime soon. Neither offer the ball carrying or creativity that Jota or Haksabanovic do and, again, that hurt us on Sunday against a well organised defence.

Not taking anything away from St Mirren - they were very well organised and stifled us, but our team selection helped them massively in that. At the end of the day, tactics can beat individuals and they did on Sunday.

Ange got it wrong, but as I said he’ll learn from it.