1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McCarthy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Gioventu, Aug 3, 2021.

Discuss James McCarthy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Doesn’t make sense now but at the time I believed he would bring experience and composure to the team.

neilly1987 likes this.
  2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Even if that were the case, a 4 year contract was terrible decision making imo.

3. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I know hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that, but a 4 year deal was utter madness.

Really hope we can free up his wage, same with Ajeti.

4. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Aye 2 year max.

5. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    That's what happens if your disinterested Irish owner is making transfers :giggle1:

6. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Keep seeing comments like this on here. Genuinely interested were this narrative comes from.

Why do you think a footballer is happy not playing football? Is there something iv missed about him from ealrlier on his career that makes you think this way?

AussieGreek and thailandceltic like this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JAMES McCARTHY is set to weigh up his Celtic future in the coming weeks.

The 31-year-old midfielder made only six starts last season, and fell further down the pecking order with the arrival of Aaron Mooy after the Aussie joined on a two-year deal.

McCarthy didn’t even make the bench for the 2-0 win over Aberdeen and has options in England.

The Irish international joined the hoops last summer as Ange Postecogloulooked to bolster his midfield options when he arrived at Parkhead.

He was brought in as a backup and competition for skipper Callum McGregor but failed to make an impact in the appearances he made during last year's campaign.

And with still three years remaining on his Celtic contract, he is set to make a decision on whether he will stay at the Parkhead club beyond this transfer window.

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Anyone contemplate that he had other offers on the table when he signed?

We’re operating in a crowded market where multi time internationals with Prem experience on a free have a bit of leverage behind them.

Slaw likes this.
  9. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Ship McCarthy out to the Championship if we can, hopefully sign one more (ideally athletic and energetic) midfielder, and you'd have a really strong set of options at CM.

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'll have a lot of respect for him if he chooses to go elsewhere..

Could easily sit and run his contract down here back home at his boyhood club....knowing he's injury prone and will barely have to play..

Slaw, luboagain, JC Anton and 9 others like this.
  11. saltire78

Wondering if this move was in the pipe for a bit and was why we signed Mooy, rather than brought him in and now McCarthy is leaving

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Mooy joining has 100% altered his and Ange’s plans. Think it’s working that way as opposed to him being aware someone else was coming in any length of time ago.

13. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Pipeline or not I doubt its why we signed Mooy.

Dont think Mccarthy has been in Ange's plans from the moment he signed

14. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    McCarthy wasnt an Ange signing. No * way.

He was brought in by the BoD looking to make moves for appearances sake.

The caveat of giving him a 4 year deal is complete and utter madness. Stinks of a DD "hes Irish sign him up" special.

His * Guy Fawkes firework appearance at Hamilton turned my * stomach.

Get him gone. Asap.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

GARY CALDWELL feared for James McCarthy at the start of his career — but he has got no concerns that he’s reached the end now.

The former Scotland skipper felt like the young midfielder’s on-the-pitch minder when he first joined Wigan.

McCarthy left Hamilton Accies at just 18, with Caldwell amazed at how fresh-faced and young he looked.

The 31-year-old is now at the crossroads of his career, having made just six starts for Celtic last season as a bit-part player under Ange Postecoglou.

SunSport revealed yesterday the playmaker is weighing up his future.

Caldwell said: “James McCarthy is a great character.

I was fortunate enough to share a changing room with him at Wigan over a number of years and he’s a great lad.

“He was 18 but looked so young at the time that I felt a duty to look after him whenever we played.

We actually both made our full Premier League debuts against Wolves, and it soon became clear that he could handle himself.

“When you see him now he’s still got that baby face, even though he’s grown up and has a wife and kids

He’s still the same wee character, but the career he’s had has been fantastic.

“I remember one goal he scored against Blackburn for Wigan at the DW Stadium when he flicked the ball up with his right foot and half-volleyed it with his left.

McCarthy was also always someone who gave 100 per cent every day in training with a real winning mentality, and I’m sure that hasn’t changed.

“He was a terrific team-mate, and I still think he’d be an asset to any squad at this stage of his career.

“James did have a lot of injuries in his younger years, quite serious injuries.

“At Wigan he hurt his ankle badly and then at Everton broke his leg, and he had hamstring issues too.

That can catch up with you when you get into your 30s.

“I retired at 32 because my body couldn’t go on any longer, but I don’t get the impression he is anywhere near that stage yet.

“I still think James has got loads to offer, and if he decided it’s time to move on from Celtic there will be a queue of clubs interested.

“Celtic were very strong in that area last season.

“They had Callum McGregor, Reo Hatate, Matt O’Riley, Nir Bitton and Tom Rogic all vying for a game in midfield.

“It was never going to be easy for McCarthy to play regularly. But I would have expected him to play more games than he did.

When you get into your 30s as a footballer most tend to appreciate you’re not going to be the player you once were.

“James was a phenomenal athlete when I played with him as a teenager moving into his early 20s.

“He used to do all my running for me at Wigan!

“He was in his prime around the time we lifted the FA Cup by beating Manchester City at Wembley in 2013.

It was him and Jordi Gomez in midfield, and the ground they covered was unbelievable.

James McArthur actually played as a wing-back, believe it or not, with Shaun Maloney as a false No 9.

“As a midfielder McCarthy was fantastic at covering the ground, winning the ball back and then turning defence into attack. He had incredible quality playing off both feet.

“When he moved to Everton I remember he was linked with a move to Man United.

“Some of the massive clubs in English football were interested in signing him, so that shows the quality he had.

That’s how good he was and shows how much ability that he possessed.

“I think he’ll understand at 31 that he’s not going to be that same dynamic player.

“But the experience he’s gained over the years in England means he can still play at a high level for a number of years yet.

“Any Premiership team in Scotland would be keen on taking him on as well as plenty of Championship clubs down south.

“If he’s still got the hunger you need to train and play every week then I believe he’s got plenty to offer yet

I’m sure there will be a lot of clubs who try to sign him if he becomes available.”

McCarthy penned a four-year deal with the Hoops last summer, so would be well within his rights to sit tight for until the summer of 2025 if he likes.

But former Partick Thistle boss Caldwell added: “Every footballer wants to play.

“I know James will have been delighted with the success Celtic had last season, even though he didn’t play as often as he would have liked.

Whatever happens, he was part of the squad that won the league and one of the cups.

Ultimately every player wants to play more than a handful of games every season so I’m sure McCarthy will be weighing everything up.

“He’s at the club he supported as a boy but it’s up to him to work out what his priority is now.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  16. Onefootwonder

I liked him years ago, but it is clear he is finished. Signing him on a 4 year deal was always silly.

I'd like him to move and hope he wants to. We gave him the deal and he's entitled to stay.

Rydo1888* and Hammy89 like this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I’ve liked him the games he’s played, but he it’s not our style, he never should have got 4 years.

If he’s pushing for a move like is being reported, fair play. Would be easy to sit at the club you support, on a good wage, a long contract, and the sqaud and manager liking you. Because by all accounts he’s a good * to have in the dressing room, pushing to leave so you play football is admirable

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

You wonder if the 4yr deal, highlighted McKay being out of his depth..

19. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    A lot of people at the time were saying it was a pointless signing.

20. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

That was a Desmond signing without a doubt.