1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daizen Maeda

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 31, 2021.

Discuss Daizen Maeda in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. saltire78

I keep saying this... He's the only one of the Asian lads to play close to the number of games all the rest of the squad did - straight in off Japanese season and he had international matches and no injuries. Kyogo broke down, Hatate tired out, we're still to see what Gucci can offer.

I'm genuinely hopeful that with a good rest, the confidence bump from winning the league and being more integrated, he'll push out another 10%... Just hope he doesn't settle and get a liking for the Tennent's and battered Mars bars...

Keano88, charlietully and JC Anton like this.
  2. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    In his workrate and stamina he has definitely got something different which sets him apart from anyone else.

His biggest weakness is when he has his back to goal. If he can improve on his hold up play, composure and dribbling he could be unbelievable.

3. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Interestingly though, the ball from Jota came in his back so he had to slow down and then the ball also bounces up just before his touch so a very good finish was needed to score.

Tommy25 and Liam Scales like this.
  4. Keano88

The thing that just epitomises this guy was when he was playing for Japan on the Tuesday then playing for us in the derby the following day.

After playing a full season in Japan you’d have forgiven him for giving it a miss and taking an extra day off but he was committed to getting back and helping the team.

Chipped in with 8 goals now as well, a few really big ones too like opening the scoring at Livi and the equaliser at the weekend there.

Absolutely love the guy.

5. Mr Hoopy

Why did we only get him on a loan deal?

Time to get him on a long term contract...

6. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    He's 100% signing. Thar was part of the loan agreement.

Mr Hoopy and JC Anton like this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Still having to spell this out on here I see..........

8. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He's on an Obligation to buy, not a Loan to Buy.

CCV and Jota are on LTB, which is why there are still worries about whether they'll sign or not, as they could choose not to.

Maeda, on the other hand, has no choice. He has to sign at the end of his contract, we essentially done it to save a little bit of money I assume. It's extremely rare to see OTB, think Mbappe was the last major one.

Should hopefully clear up for a few people.

Mr Hoopy likes this.
  9. PaddyJamieson

Some mentality he's got too, you need people like that over a season. I can completely see why Ange saw him as a must-buy when he took over. He's the kind of player who could be here for years, never stealing the spotlight and getting a big move, but always playing an important role.

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Hope we get him signed up permanently in the summer.

11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    :fear:

12. davidhannah

He's my favourite player. He's not perfect, which is what I like about him.

A Japanese warrior. With a samurai sword of a left foot. And the head of Alan mcgregor in his hand.

The human greyhound. Naturally fit.
    Faster than Agathe. Can see Juventus chasing his sharrow already next season.

His performances have got better and better which includes his first touch. Was bad during the first few games, people started to feak, out. During January Feb time. But the team kept winning.

A goal means more for him than others with more natural ability.

Scored on his debut at Parkhead too. Loved that.

I'm raving about celtic on this board. All I have listened to all day. A, great escape. We're on the rise again,, a joy for us to see.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He voted SNP mate.

Bernie Bhoy likes this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

DAIZEN MAEDA has confirmed his loan switch to Celtic will become permanent next season.

The striker joined the Hoops in January from Yokohama with a view to a £2million move.

Maeda says he can’t wait to pen a long-term contract with the Parkhead side after helping them effectively secure the Premiership title.

But the 24-year-old is desperate to put his feet up first after playing non-stop for the past 18 months.

Maeda said: “I am happy here. But I am looking forward to resting.

“I have been playing since the beginning of last season in Japan.

I will have to take enough rest to be ready to go again next season. I want to be at my best next season.”

Maeda accepts there has been little to separate the Old Firm this season.

But the Japanese striker feels that Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou might just be the difference.

The Hoops effectively sealed the Premiership title with two games to spare on Saturday with an emphatic 4-1 win over Hearts.

Maeda opened the scoring as Celtic extended their incredible unbeaten league run to 30 matches.

Yes, Rangers have conquered all before them in Europe, but it is their rivals who have been more consistent on the home front.

Maeda has played a crucial part since arriving at Parkhead from Yokohama, and has weighed in with eight goals following his January switch.

Fellow-countrymen Kyogo and Reo Hatate have also played their part.

However, Maeda feels it is their manager Postecoglou who deserves most of the credit.

He said: “To have the victory is very important. We got the result we needed and that is a nice feeling.

“I know that last year Celtic couldn’t get the title.

“This is why when I came here I wanted to give absolutely everything to get a result for the team. I am happy with the way the move has turned out.

There is not a big difference between Celtic and Rangers, both teams play at a good level.

“But our manager brought a good attitude to us. He made us think the right way.”

It was Postecoglou who brought the Japanese trio to Scotland, with Kyogo the forerunner in July ahead of his fellow-internationals arriving during the mid-winter window.

All three have been on the go for the best part of 18 months, having had no break due to the timing of the season in their homeland.

And while they have been instrumental in Celtic regaining their Premiership crown, Maeda firmly believes they will be even better next term. He said: “It’s nice to be with my countrymen of course.

“But we have to concentrate on football over everything else.

“In terms of next season we would like to play here as Japanese players together and keep getting stronger and better over a full season.”

There was no silverware at the end of the game on Saturday, but the celebrations and a lap of onour at the end told you it was done and dusted.

Barring an act of *, Celtic will be presented with the SPFL Premiership trophy on Saturday after their final game of the campaign against Motherwell.

Maeda is relishing the opportunity to share the moment with 60,000 fans at Parkhead.

But despite the team’s points advantage and the massive goal difference over Rangers, he refused to start partying just yet.

He said: “Next week, as always, we hope we will get to share the happiness we feel with our fans and supporters.

“It wasn’t only against Hearts. Celtic fans are like that for us always and I am really happy to be here playing in that amazing atmosphere. It makes me happy.

The weather has even improved recently and it feels very comfortable to live here now, I like it!

“But we don’t have the league title yet, so I will only think about that when everything is settled.”

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    Rydo1888* and tarboltontim like this.
  15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I wonder what resting looks like to Daezen. Probably a leisurely marathon or something.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

His ability is under rated because the focus is all on his ridiculously good work rate.

His balls across the face of goal are excellent, almost always in the danger area and at pace.

A vital team player who will only get better next season.

Paul67 and Wllm like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We knew this then, makes the article totally pointless in the Sun

19. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song: