1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do we shoot towards the Jock Stein in the 2nd half?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Phoenix, Jan 3, 2022.

Discuss Why do we shoot towards the Jock Stein in the 2nd half? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    For as long as I can remember we have attacked the Jock Stein end in the second half of our games. So many iconic goals that bring back memories, particularly in derby games and European matches.

Naka v Man Utd 2006
    Sutton chip v the Huns 2004
    Thommo in off the bar v Huns 2004
    Larsson chip in 6-2 game 2000
    Hartson winning volley 1-0 v Huns 2003 (Seville season)
    JVOH v Huns last minute winner 2008
    Scott McDonald injury time v AC Milan 2007
    Donati v Shaktar 2007 literally last kick of the game
    Julien v Lazio 2019
    Forrest last minute v Karagandy 2013

I've probably left some out, but does anyone know why we shoot towards this end? Like is there any historical reason for it.

Likewise, where there have been rare exceptions (Juventus 4-3 in 2001 and Kenny Miller scoring v Huns in 2006) does anyone know the reasons for this?

2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I think it’s traditionally the “Celtic end” so we shoot into it in the 2nd half.

the other end was traditionally called the rainjurz end

jake10 and The Phoenix like this.
  3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Always been the way..

Although I do remember Fergie's Aberdeen on occasion come out and warm up and take the field on the opposite side.. Willie Miller used to come out and boot the ball high up in the air and they would line up on our side.. All little mind games..

4. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    There may have been a legitimate reason for it once upon a time, a slight downward slope in that direction, perhaps it got more sunlight and less shade, even better drainage maybe, so had more grass and thus a better playing surface there. Who knows. Nowadays though it's just tradition or habit.

5. Al Bootyerbaws

Wish we would change that up a bit. My season ticket has been in or around the standing section for about the last 20 year. Whilst I like where I am I'm a bit jealous all the last minute winners are always down the other end.

6. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    Would be great if we had a full standing section in the whole Jock Stein.

eire4, mayo and greengrocer like this.
  7. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Love it.

My seat (one of the best views of paradise imo) was South west corner and the amount of sheer joy and elation I had in that seat for 20 years (had to give it up due to work, a wedding, and a mortgage...kicker was it was the start of Rodgers era) was unreal.

Best seat in the house

The Phoenix likes this.
  8. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    It’s the same the world over
    Clubs shoot into their traditional end in the 2nd half
    Happens at ipox, Merseyside, Madrid, Manchester, barca, boca, Munich, Dortmund

leeso-ardoyne likes this.
  9. leeso-ardoyne

It's not always the case. I remember saying this to my da years ago about we always shoot into our crowd at ibrox second half and vise versa at parkhead for them. He never knew this and didn't believe me. But there was one game either in MON or Strachens years that it was the opposite. I noticed it straight away. Either the players made a mistake or where made to do it I don't know but 100% it happened. Forget what game it was but definitely a Hun game.

10. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    The only derby game I can think of where we shot towards the Lisbon Lion end in the second half was September 2006.

Tommy Gravesen and Kenny Miller scored for us that day.

Strachan was manager.

11. leeso-ardoyne

That was probably the game im on about! The Huns always shot into there end second half as long as I can remember.

12. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    Kenny Miller scored in the second half to clinch the game, right in front of the Huns.

Was a cracking celebration tbf.

I wonder if that's the reason the ends were changed. A bit of anticipated trolling in case Miller did score.

13. KG-Henrik

Must happen in every single football stadium. Logically there’s a home & away dugout at either side of the tunnel. Naturally you would warm up and start the game at your own side.

Away team win the coin toss & switch sides. Personally I’d always switch being an away team to try and disrupt “normal” proceedings. All mind games that might help.

jake10 likes this.
  14. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Aye it happens occasionally….usually when a team tries to upset your routine

jake10 likes this.
  15. leeso-ardoyne

I can only recall it happening once in the last 15 years thou. It was then I remember reading about it then noticing every game where we shot into first/second half. Can't remember reading anything about the time it changed thou so I was thinking maybe the players never knew or forgot. Maybe a different captain that day or something.

16. leeso-ardoyne

Definitely not why it was changed. It was always the way before this goal!

17. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    I suppose in the past when the huns weren’t sick of us laughing from the full broomloan and subsequently they had all the huns end at Parkhead it was to stop our players being physically sick having to look towards a stand of animals when we might need a winning goal.
    And Julians goal V lazio I’m in 408 and had a great view of ball going in AND me winning with him to score at any time,BRILLIANT NIGHT in Europe again