1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jambo_cfc

People have to remember a mourinho or a bentiez could come in and fail just as much ! Mourinho is becoming a journeyman who is winning very little nowaydays and same as benitez , would i be happier with a bigger name ? Yes but these guys have always had near unlimited funds which they woulnt have with us so it would be a totally different market to what they will be used too! Rodgers is a great motivator and not too long ago he was at swansea working on a tight budget so wansnt as much as a shock to him ! Mourinho and benitez havnt worked on small budgets for nearly 20years ! Have faith lads !!

2. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Looks like we are going to be stuck with the gruesome twosome

Celtic stars face first day of pre season being led by John Kennedy due to Ange Postecoglou quarantine

Kennedy and Gavin Strachan could stay at the club if they impress the incoming manager.

Ange Postecoglou will be given scope to build his own backroom team at Celtic – but the incoming manager is set to rely on the current coaching staff in the short term.

The former Socceroos manager is on the verge of being confirmed as Neil Lennon ’s successor more than 100 days after the Northern Ireland manager departed

Postecoglou remained tight-lipped about the move after Yokahama F Marino’s 1-1 draw with Consadole Sapporo in the first leg of their J League Cup clash.

But Record Sport understands compensation has been thrashed out with the Japanese outfit and personal terms have also agreed

Celtic are hoping to get the new gaffer on a plane to conclude the deal as soon as possible – but the 55-year-old will run into quarantine problems.

Postecoglou will need to do 10 days in isolation – leaving current coaches John Kennedy and Gavin Strachan to welcome back the players on June 17.

The group will not include internationals on duty at the Euros but the new man at the helm is likely to meet up with his players before they head down south for their pre-season training camp in Wales in the first week in July.

It is understood Postecoglou will be given a say on his dugout team but could assess the men at Lennoxtown before making any decisions.

Postecoglou spoke to the media on Sunday morning but kept his cards close to his chest.

When asked if he could comment on the Celtic link, he said: “Nah, not really.

“I was asked the question last week, too. My focus is always on the work I have to do today.

“We had a very important game and we’ve got another game coming up on Wednesday so that’s where my focus is.”

Celtic are keen to allow the new boss to get to work and there will be funds available for the rebuilding mission.

The kitty is expected to be bolstered by the sale of big names Odsonne Edouard and Kris Ajer by the end of the month.

Hoops chiefs won’t stand in the path of the wantaway stars but won’t allow them to drag out any moves deep in to pre-season.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
  4. limezer

If Ange is the man I hope the DOF is a well renowned candidate that can attract some quality players to the club, as the last 2 nomads were hopeless.
    On top of that if he get his own coaching staff he’ll get my full support, but if he turns out to be a yes man for the start the baws burst.

5. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    They were always going to take charge for the squad coming back, but I pray that's all they get.

limezer likes this.
  6. grazor

Every team he has played has dropped in performance for about 6 months while he implements his style then things suddenly click and they become world beaters. I suspect he will be a lot better than people think, the J league is very good and the Japanese national team has plenty of decent players. In fact, I would wager even money that he would make it through the group stages in europe by his second season

Lebo likes this.
  7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Nothing to do with Guardiola, I get that he and Rodgers among others have praised him. But he's highly rated to me because everyone who seems to have worked with him raves about him as a coach. He's been successful in the roles he's held. Yokohama fans apparently love him. Australians think he's the dugs baws. I can't possibly comment on how he's rated within coaching circles, but it's unequivocally clear that he's rated in Asia and Oceania.

Surely that's relevant to how highly rated someone is?

And yes I get the whole he's 55 and never managed in Europe thing. But that doesn't mean he isn't highly rated anywhere he's been.

kramer1 likes this.
  8. SuperZidane

I have no time for Kennedy/Strachan but I'd rather have them than that animal Muscat whose last role ended up with him being sacked from a minor Belgian club 18 months ago.

9. StevieBhoooy!

That ‘socceroos’ term is about a 9 on the football sayings/cliche cringe-ometer ...

only just pipped by ‘cultured left foot’ , ‘... in his locker *?’ and the ‘lionesses’ :99:

The67Sound likes this.
  10. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    This is a * farce

11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    We can't afford to wait 6 months for him to come good, we can't even afford to wait 3. He's going to need to hit the ground running if he wants to suceed.

trackebhoy and Xatraps like this.
  12. Mr Cleansheets

I guarantee that will be the least of his worries.

Quite enough happening in Glasgow to occupy his mind, and he's shown before he couldn't give a rat's what most Australians think. Which is the one thing that might make him popular here...

Artorias and kramer1 like this.
  13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I genuinely don't think anyone believed we could attract either of those managers.

Not great examples. Literally every comment I seen on them coming to us was tongue in cheek.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Aye, you're right, we can't attract those managers. We couldn't even attract Howe who has a far smaller stature in the game. I'm also of the opinion that Howe was never intending on coming to us and was just playing us by using us as leverage to get a job in England. Which, if true, makes it more frustrating that the club waited so long for an answer from Howe.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  15. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    John Leech Kennedy
    Gavin Leech Strachan

The big Viduka likes this.
  16. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Christ i hope this guy wur
    Ryan Rugby Christie

17. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Kennedy and Strachan should be janitors or dinner ladies at absolute most next season, cba with the sight of them looking clueless in the dugout they bring nothing to us.

Artorias likes this.
  18. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

19. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    He’s a football manager, no Harry Potter.

The big Viduka likes this.
  20. Mr Cleansheets

To be fair, Harry Potter is probably the board's option C...

Noskeil, The big Viduka and Artorias like this.